PDA

View Full Version : VAG Codes...opinions?

CornersWell
September 25th, 2010, 17:40
All,

My CEL came on this week. I pulled the VAG codes and here there are...

Address 01: Engine Labels: 077-907-558-BCY.lbl
Part No: 4D1 907 558 D
Component: 4.2l V8/5VT G 0002
Coding: 0006752
Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
VCID: 2F676B1CC76F

1 Fault Found:
18032 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!)
P1624 - 008 - Implausible Signal
Readiness: 0110 1101

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
Coding: 0000002
Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
VCID: 76E99E7878B5

2 Faults Found:
17125 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred
P0741 - 003 - Mechanical Failure - MIL ON
17095 - Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor (G93): Implausible Signal
P0711 - 003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

What are your guesses? I'm obviously thinking the torque converter is bad. Dealer and independent Audi service shop said I can drive it (and have been advised that I won't do any damage), but it feels sluggish and as it would if the clutch were slipping in a manual. They wouldn't peg it as the TC, though.

I did see this replacement TC (http://aceconverter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_31&products_id=38&zenid=48189bb42ea232352074dd6f98230158). Anyone go this direction?

Thanks,

CW

DHall1
September 25th, 2010, 19:21
CW,

Welcome to the TC club. I cant wait to join ya all.

I disagree with the indy telling you to "just drive it"....yeah, I bet that is a big surprise. You have clutch material flowing thru your transmission right now. Do you think that helps the clutch packs, drums and valves in the valve body? No it does not and you run the risk of blowing up the rest of the transmission.

Sluggish comes from the fault code. ECU has pulled back performance.

All,

What are your guesses? I'm obviously thinking the torque converter is bad. Dealer and independent Audi service shop said I can drive it (and have been advised that I won't do any damage), but it feels sluggish and as it would if the clutch were slipping in a manual. They wouldn't peg it as the TC, though.

I did see this replacement TC (http://aceconverter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_31&products_id=38&zenid=48189bb42ea232352074dd6f98230158). Anyone go this direction?

Thanks,

CW

CornersWell
September 25th, 2010, 19:35
As I suspected. But, I really have little choice, as it's the only vehicle I have here at the moment. And, actually, both the dealer and the indy told me to go ahead and drive it.

That said, the car goes in on Tuesday. This is turning into a F'ing PoS car, though. Constantly failing and in the shop. I'd really like to know what Audi thinks about their engineering masterpiece!

CW

DHall1
September 25th, 2010, 19:45
Ok, if they both said drive it for a couple of days...that is fine.

When they change the TC....make sure the trans pan is removed, new filter and lines are flushed.

I would opt for the new updated Audi TC.

CornersWell
September 25th, 2010, 19:53
I am inclined to let the Indy do it. The dealer pissed me off something terrible with the alternator nonsense.

I'll see what they can offer me. Aftermarket or updated Audi TC is fine by me.

But, I stand by my opinion: this car is turning out to be a turd. Poorly engineered. Repeated suspension (DRC and control link) issues. Now a TC/tranny? Really? This isn't freaking rocket science. Cars have been around for 100+ years. Audi needs to get their sh*t together. In all the MB's (or any other cars we've ever owned, for that matter) we've NEVER once had a problem with suspensions or transmissions. I'm starting to think Audi doesn't know WTF they're doing.

CW

DHall1
September 25th, 2010, 19:57
Just make sure the indy has pulled a RS6 engine/trans and has the experience. If the indy does not have the experience and thinks they can just pull the trans without pulling the engine...run as fast as you can.

Not saying it cant be done without pulling the engine....just saying you want someone that has done 5 of them in this manner.

CornersWell
September 25th, 2010, 20:06
They claim to have worked on several RS6s. In fact, a customer delivered a car in parts to them, and they put it all together. Weird, but true.

But, it's a good point. OTOH, the dealer might not have done this work, either!

CW

TozoM8
September 26th, 2010, 00:39
Just make sure the indy has pulled a RS6 engine/trans and has the experience. If the indy does not have the experience and thinks they can just pull the trans without pulling the engine...run as fast as you can.

Not saying it cant be done without pulling the engine....just saying you want someone that has done 5 of them in this manner.
I am not sure if it means anything, but I've rebuilt a couple RS6 trans and I never pull the engine. Once you remove the exhaust, sub-frame and a bunch of other stuff, the trans comes out fine.

skribe
September 26th, 2010, 00:51
An RS 6 is an exotic. 4000lb. 450+ bhp. 7 years old. Shit's gonna fail. It was not engineered for long-term trouble-free driving.

A car that carries 5 people and can do a sub-13 1/4 mile is going to be a high-maintenance proposition regardless of who builds it.

High probability your TC is junk. :)

speedtrapped
September 26th, 2010, 03:26
Rs6 will be the 3rd I have owned(getting her Tuesday.) my experience with Audi z(Porsche enthuist prior), is nothing short of luv and respect. My A8 '06, was a pleasure to drive, never an issue, and I had bought her used(since sold cause I wanted more power) besides good looks, huge room and fine interior, she was awesome in the snow. Last winter sealed it for me. I had at least 5 good storms and the car drove thru it all better then a wrangler I had years ago. Since then I have bought another used Audi, '07 S8 and she is a beast, I know that name will go to my RS6. But the car is cavernous and I have pretty easy time blowing many a car off line. After researching RS6 for the last couple of months I was well prepared knowing owning this rare car can cost some dough in maintainence. I agree completely with Skribe, the car is a 7 year old exotic. dRC issue sucks, but he'll could be worse brand new Ferarri's are catching fire...glue combustion . Sorry just defending a brand that I have come to luv....

CornersWell
September 26th, 2010, 05:18
So, what do we make of this:

The CEL cleared itself tonight.

CW

DHall1
September 26th, 2010, 05:58
failure per x key on events.

If your not driving it to cause the slip in TCC the cel can clear. But the code is still in memory.

CornersWell
September 26th, 2010, 11:50
Agree. Problem still exists. Whenever I get on it, though, the CEL will return.

CW