PDA

View Full Version : Audi at the Paris Show Recap

tailpipe
September 23rd, 2010, 19:08
After two years of depressed markets, it looks like car sales are starting to recover. In particular, recent sales data (source: AMS/ Car) shows that buyers are starting to return to sportier models, especially now that many brands combine great performance with low emissions and reasonable fuel consumption.

With this in mind, we could see a whole bunch of new sports cars make their first appearance at next week's Paris Salon. We know Lamborghini and Lotus will debut exciting new models. Mercedes-Benz has got the new CLS, and BMW won't disappoint either with its new 6-Series Concept. Which brings me to Audi. What can we expect. Based on recent rumour and speculation, i see the list as follows:

- A1 1.4 TFSI (Almost and S1)
- RS3
- Q3 Concept (not sure about this)
- A7 / S7
- R4 / eTron convertible
- R8 GT (if this isn't old news)

But what about this: now that the RS5 is up and running and given that the B8 RS4 will be based on the same set up and engine, Audi has very little development work to do before releasing the RS4. So perhaps we could get a nice surprise and the next RS4 will arrive early?

(I guess we can all dream, can we?)

And what about Retro-Quattro? Might that also finally put in an appearance? It is starting to sound like the Lexus L-FA, which took so long to be translated from concept to production car that an entire model cycle passed.

Thoughts?

RXBG
September 23rd, 2010, 19:29
any etron model is a major yawn. RS3 is a little yawn. Q3 concept a huge yawn. R8 GT is old news since May. the only thing worthy of it would be the S8 or this nebulous thing people are calling the retroquattro or whatever. S7 i hear--- in Geneva in the spring.

Joker
September 23rd, 2010, 20:46
The whole object of surprise is to keep everyone thinking you are going to show one thing when in fact you show something completely different and unexpected.

So with that in mind what would be classed as totally unexpected for Paris? :vhmmm:

darkop
September 23rd, 2010, 21:34
We all just became pathetic... Inventing new treads just to keeps us entertained instead of talking about actual cars who were suppose to be presented already by now, just a week before the show!
lol

tailpipe
September 23rd, 2010, 22:07
My fault, sorry. I got bored waiting.

ChicagoAudi
September 23rd, 2010, 23:12
Even worse if you are a Lamborghini fan.

darkop
September 24th, 2010, 06:50
No worries, eventually I would have done the same...
Cheers

auditt
September 24th, 2010, 13:50
I´ll be mad as hell if they don´t show a R8 GT2 and and a Retroquattro. :) Everything else is just old news.

andreadebi
September 24th, 2010, 19:53
Audi A1 1.4 TFSI/S1/RS 3/RS 7 — AUTO BILD 38/2010 — 24.09.2010

Audis neues Sportprogramm

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-a1-1.4-tfsi-s1-rs-3-rs-7-1260284.html

ChicagoAudi
September 24th, 2010, 20:17
RS 7? Audi actually getting ahead of BMW's M5? Now that's serious news, and a staggering development, if true.

The RS6
September 24th, 2010, 21:05
Read the article boys...don't get overexcited...

"Auf der IAA 2011 im September in Frankfurt hat der RS 7 Premiere."

Or in English...

At the IAA 2011 (NEXT YEAR) in FRANKFURT (not Paris) ... RS7 Premiere...

tailpipe
September 24th, 2010, 22:32
I cannot believe that Audi will wait until Geneva next year to launch the RS3 - that certainly isn't what UK Audi dealers are saying. The new A3 is due at Frankfurt this time next year, so they need to get this thing out now if it is not to be obsolete within months of being launched. I don't know of any major manufacturer who releases a new model within 12 months of it's replacement arriving.

Ritchy
September 29th, 2010, 15:11
Audi makes money, so it's not a problem today despite what custumers really want.

I've got the feeling that Audi is an old system entreprise. Reactive, not proactive.

BMW produces an M1.....warning! let's produce a RS3 even it's too late, even if all RS are supposed to be now produced earlier in a cars's life.

RS5 is too slow....but you can not imagine a turbo V8 in the segment ! Just wait for the next C63 (55?). And you'll see 2/3 years later that kind of engine in such an Audi.

Last Audi for me. First time i'm not in a hurry to pick up a new car (supposed to arrive 18th-22th october). I now want something special, not a B7 RS4 with 2 doors and Leds. A car i won't forget ! not that sort of expensive toy with no soul.

For information, last dyno values in a french magazine: RS5 422HP - GT-R 505HP.

Joker
September 29th, 2010, 15:36
Audi makes money, so it's not a problem today despite what custumers really want.

I've got the feeling that Audi is an old system entreprise. Reactive, not proactive.

BMW produces an M1.....warning! let's produce a RS3 even it's too late, even if all RS are supposed to be now produced earlier in a cars's life.

RS5 is too slow....but you can not imagine a turbo V8 in the segment ! Just wait for the next C63 (55?). And you'll see 2/3 years later that kind of engine in such an Audi.

Last Audi for me. First time i'm not in a hurry to pick up a new car (supposed to arrive 18th-22th october). I now want something special, not a B7 RS4 with 2 doors and Leds. A car i won't forget ! not that sort of expensive toy with no soul.

I wonder who actually started the development work first, was it BMW with the M1 or Audi withe the RS3?

Also, are those dyno results rated at the wheels for both cars or estimates of the engine output?

Ritchy
September 29th, 2010, 15:50
Real engine outputs. I remember Youry has explained the way new generations dynos works on the RS5 topic.

Sorry to be always disapointed with Audi, but quite fed up to buy magazines telling the car is a good looking car, but incrediblely slow compared to a C63 or GT-R.

I almost know 20 owners of RS4 disapointed with the performances of the car and the dynos results.....and Audi didn't change anything with the RS5 5 years later. I cannot accept that.

RXBG
September 29th, 2010, 16:12

i think that what motivates a car co, like any business, is money; as in- development costs vs return. rarely do you have a stud like piech who says- we are gong to make a bugatti even if we don't make much money or any money at all. as such, i don't think it is as much a matter of laziness as it is a matter of timing. audi saw the RS4 engine as a cheap, easy to install engine in the RS5. perhaps they were already on the road to developing the next HO V8 wiith 500 hp but it just wasn't ready- and so- rather than delay the RS5 or not have one at all they decided to package it thus. i'm sure lexus fanboys hate the ISF engine- it is the last "relic" V8 to go into a that kind of car, vis a vis the gas guzzling peers that BMW and Audi and even mercedes makes.

there is one thing to be said though. what can differentiate one car company from another is its ability to foresee trends and plan develoment timelines efficiently. audi will need to step it up and hopefully it has developed a stout, solid, flexible new V8 that will be what it needs to compete for the next ten years, with the built-in flexibility to make the engine insertable/modular into multiple applications. for example- i hope audi has had the foresight to see that this engine will be essential for the powering of the next A6 all through the next R8, with an inherent production process that will not delay the production of any of the cars it is going to go in yet still be malleable enough to be modified to meet potentially changing needs (such as a hybrid system). the same should be said of the upcoming rumored V6 engine AND the current I-5 that is supposed to go into the next midrange of sportscars in the line up.

auditt
September 29th, 2010, 17:59
http://www.automotorsport.se/uploaded/image/2010/9/29/Audi_teaser06_0.JPG
http://www.automotorsport.se/uploaded/image/2010/9/29/Audi_teaserTT.jpg

www.automotorsport.se

RXBG
September 29th, 2010, 18:08
welp- no "sportquattro" coupe. e-tron roadster with a battery. that other one is a TT. audi is really milking the etron thing. but i think the milk bottle is empty.

i am moving on to the LA show at this point.

PeterJohn
September 30th, 2010, 06:10

TDI, Direct Injection, AWD, Aluminium Space Frame, luxury hatchback (A3), performance stationwagons, DSG, LEDs,... All things that Audi pioneered ahead of its main rivals, while there was no demand for them. All things that BMW (perhaps even Mercedes who are more into electronic gadgets) would have never risked money on, unless the market forced them.

The first RS4 had 380hp (with 600hp tuning potential) while the M3 was still contemplating 300hp. After the poor 2nd gen RS6 sales, I don't think Audi was too eager to invest a lot in another hp-monster. It's not the future.

darkop
September 30th, 2010, 10:29
^
Well put..
Seems like many people run on short memory!

Ritchy
September 30th, 2010, 10:54
Well when i order an RS5, i don't have in mind the past....i just want it to be a special and amazing, such as the first RS4. A car which is well ahead the current AMG or M.

It's not the case. That's pitty, because the A5 is one of the most beautiful car i've never seen. Something new had to appear inside the engine. It's a RS !

If i make no mistake, it's the first RS sharing (almost) the same engine with the previous generation. +0m.kg and +30HP it's not enough for a 5 years younger car.

Just upset. We are all here RS fanatics, maybe a minority compared to the TDI's addicts proud to have LED's on their car. My pleasure is in the engine.

I'm not the only one in that case....Qisha would not have open a "future RS" topic for only one dispointed guy. There's something which has to change.

RXBG
September 30th, 2010, 19:51
RE: back on topic.

no new V8 yet.

at least audi got its concept thing out. the only other etron concepts they could possibly make are a minivan and a sedan. hope they are done with that stuff for a while. let's hope LA brings something real to the table- like the S8. and SOMETHING ABOUT THE V8.

andreadebi
October 4th, 2010, 08:48
about the rumored s1

from this article

http://www.automotorsport.se/news/21496/audi-s1-kommer-med-4wd-och-270-hk/

here translated

http://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.automotorsport.se%2Fnews%2F2149 6%2Faudi-s1-kommer-med-4wd-och-270-hk%2F

S1 is the emblem of the parts catalog!

New data that we recently received from Ingolstadt says that S1-name's belated disappearance was due to what many of our readers wrote in comments: name S1 (or S3, S4, S5, S6, S8) is associated very strongly with all-wheel drive. Risken var uppenbar att en framhjulsdriven S1 skulle urvattna betydelsen och därför backade man i sista stund till "A1 TFSI 185 hk". The risk was apparent that a front-wheel-S1 would dilute the importance and therefore fell to the last moment to "A1 TFSI 185 hp".

But there is no reason to be sad.Audi namely all the time planned to build a true hornet at A1 due to the Haldex four-wheel drive and turbocharged petrol four of 270 horses! Originally it was thought that this little "monster" would be named RS1 (to fit in to Rs2, coming RS3, RS4, RS5 and RS6, and RS7 forthcoming). . But now here will make it instead so that the four-wheel drive GTI-challenger will be called S1

Audi's decision on the name change came very late. One of the Dutch readers have taken a screenshot from Audi's electronic parts system and where you can clearly see that the S1 is the emblem with the illustration. However, it seems the emblem did not receive any part numbers

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/428/audietkas1big.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=audietkas1big.jpg)

A possible reason for the Audi repented of S1-name can be that it meant something even more powerful engines in the future.We know for example that VW is working on a 210 bhp Polo R

roadrunner
October 4th, 2010, 21:06
about the rumored s1

But there is no reason to be sad.Audi namely all the time planned to build a true hornet at A1 due to the Haldex four-wheel drive and turbocharged petrol four of 270 horses! Originally it was thought that this little "monster" would be named RS1 (to fit in to Rs2, coming RS3, RS4, RS5 and RS6, and RS7 forthcoming). . But now here will make it instead so that the four-wheel drive GTI-challenger will be called S1

A possible reason for the Audi repented of S1-name can be that it meant something even more powerful engines in the future.We know for example that VW is working on a 210 bhp Polo R

I am convinced that a stronger version of the A1 will still appear.
It might be called S1
It will NOT have quattro - the Polo platform is not prepared for that. Maybe A1 Mk. II

Sorry to say, the A1 is sure a great car, just not for me without quattro