PDA

View Full Version : V10 RS6 Avant Track Tyres

sallyh
September 23rd, 2010, 14:05
Hi all

Not expecting much response to this but what the heck,

I think I've worn out the Pirellis on my V10 Avant and am asking the dealer for advice and cost regarding replacement. I trust the dealer and know they can do alignment etc well, but just wondering whether anyone out there has gone to a more track biased tyre, and what they have gone for given the weight of the car. Would be interesting to know as this is what I mainly use the car for. (They impound and crush your car here if you are caught too far over the speed limit). I'm not that good a driver but wow, what a car! I've also got a bought second hand M3 CSL that I finally found the proper size Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres for and it made a huge difference, like, really made the car make sense. So just wondering if anyone had experimented with the tyres and given semi slicks a go? I know it's not a track car (nor really apparently is the CSL) but I've been converted into a true believer in tyres making a huge difference and would be very interested in knowing if anyone else has tried something different in order to suit track work.

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2010, 14:11
I imagine it is a blast sending your rocket around the track. Puuuleeeease post up some tracks vids and let us all enjoy some of the fun when you have the opportunity.

Good luck with the tire selection and keeping your car out of the authorities crusher!

Erik
September 23rd, 2010, 16:08
For the V8 RS6 we used what I think was Pirelli Corsas. The load index was too low, and on heavy driving i.e. Porsche 911 cannot keep up speed on the Nürburgring one tire exploded.
The front brake discs were glowing red.

Some may remember the pictures and the video, it's still out there.

DHall1
September 23rd, 2010, 16:16
Friends dont let friends drive C5 RS6 on non load rated tires.

That video was and still is the classic RS6 beast smackdown movie.

covertw12
September 23rd, 2010, 17:39
Maybe 011's ? they're close to a track tire but mine are really civilized for daily driver use..... and they're not as scary in the rain as a set of Toyo slicks I ran once..... Not sure on sizing.....they are XL rated in my size thankfully.

Brav
September 23rd, 2010, 20:00
I used Toyo R888s for my Noble, which is a track car.. a friend uses them as well for his GT-R, which has a more similar weight and dynamics as the C6. I have heard very good things about them, and good for the price. However, I wouldnt use them daily as after 10-15 heat cycles, you wont have much grip left. As a track-only tire, or driving to/from track, they are great. Cup tires would probably be similar..

covertw12
September 23rd, 2010, 21:25
pics of the noble please !! someday......... I see the new Rossion's out getting tested every few weeks and they are just so damn neat .....HUGe bang fo the buck.... but, alas can't fit 2 kids seats !

Agree with you on the 888's - they were limited life tires.... but sure were grippy !

cheers~

MrBucket
September 23rd, 2010, 21:51
If bridgestone makes the RE-11 in the right size I would check those out, they are as close to an R compound tire as you can get while still having a decent life and wet traction.

sallyh
September 24th, 2010, 13:50
Thanks so much all, it is very encouraging and much appreciated. Oh gosh, when driving around the track, those Porsches do beat me in the corners, but in the straight, the RS6 is pretty good. So, I'll look into the suggestions about the tyres - I actually had the Toyo R888 Proxies on the BMW CSL before I found a supplier for the right size Cup tyres - I just wish Audi would specify a track type tyre for the RS6 given that it could be optioned with ceramic brakes (which I did!). Will post a video if I do get it sorted and can beat those Porsches and GT-Rs!

many thanks.

F1 Dad
September 27th, 2010, 23:06
I don't have a good answer for dry track conditions, but if you run in the rain, the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric work great (and are correctly load rated).

sallyh
December 1st, 2010, 11:16
hi all

Well, finally found someone who has found Toyo Proxes 285/20 for the C6 Avant. I am also getting forged rims for them to go on. Will keep the Pirelli Sport road tyres on the original rims for general driving. Have found the Pirelli Sports to be very "squirmy" under track conditions so looking forward to giving the Toyos a go.