PDA

View Full Version : C5 RS6 oil change

Majestic
September 22nd, 2010, 05:37
I have been bringing my car into the dealership to get oil changes and everyone tells me its very easy to do, open this thing on the bottom, drain the oil, close it up, then dump oil in from the top. The oil filter also needs to be changed some how too but that was suppose to be easy too.

So I took a peek under the car and their is this large plastic covering on the bottom of the car, wtf??

Does anyone on the forum change their own oil and oil filter? and how do you do it?
a web site with detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated, i really do want to learn and stop giving away my money.

V8weight
September 22nd, 2010, 05:42
Yes. The lower engine shield has to be removed, all of the fasteners are flat head quarter turn screws. Then drain the oil with (10mm allen socket) and then you have to remove the 4 13mm swaybar mounting bolts and swing the swaybar down out of the way to gain access to the filter. I always remove the passenger side intercooler charge pipe as well, but I'm sure you could wiggle the filter around it. Just be warned, the oil filter removal can be a mess, especially on your inaugural oil change.

Majestic
September 22nd, 2010, 05:48
do i have to lift the car some how or i can do it by sliding under it ?

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 05:51
If you have to ask.

Take it to the dealer and please let them change the oil.

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 05:54
Majestic, I think it would be very beneficial for you to do a lot a research on some of the basic services of this car, as well as the search tool. I assume you have changed oil in another car sometime in your life. Changing oil on this car is slightly trickier.

Yes, get the lower shield off, there are several quarter-turn fasteners that hold it there, as well as some that hold it through the inner wheel wells. Then with a big allen key (don't know how big right now - use search, it has been mentioned), remove the oil plug. Then lower the 4 sway bar bolts under the engine, and let the bar hang. Then, get up in there and turn out the filter. You may need a filter wrench. It will be a mess. After waiting several minutes to let as much out as possible, wipe up the swaybar and any other items that full of oil and put the new filter in. Drain plug in, lower shield on and fill the oil. USE THE CORRECT SPEC OIL - 505.01.

You should also be inspecting your turbo piping and cleaning oil residue out at this time.

edit: it must take me long to type.

V8weight
September 22nd, 2010, 05:56
Majestic, I think it would be very beneficial for you to do a lot a research on some of the basic services of this car, as well as the search tool. I assume you have changed oil in another car sometime in your life. Changing oil on this car is slightly trickier.

Yes, get the lower shield off, there are several quarter-turn fasteners that hold it there, as well as some that hold it through the inner wheel wells. Then with a big allen key (don't know how big right now - use search, it has been mentioned), remove the oil plug. Then lower the 4 sway bar bolts under the engine, and let the bar hang. Then, get up in there and turn out the filter. You may need a filter wrench. It will be a mess. After waiting several minutes to let as much out as possible, wipe up the swaybar and any other items that full of oil and put the new filter in. Drain plug in, lower shield on and fill the oil. USE THE CORRECT SPEC OIL - 505.01.

You should also be inspecting your turbo piping and cleaning oil residue out at this time.

edit: it must take me long to type.
Oh Kyle, that was so three posts ago. :)

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 05:57
Unless your as thin as Gumby, you need to lift it.

Nevermind, follow Dave's advice.
do i have to lift the car some how or i can do it by sliding under it ?

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 06:00
Being this a great thread to jack and all, Oct 2nd C & C is coming up soon. I have been thinking about a dyno run again. If they have room, I just may spend the 50 big ones to do it. Will you be able to use James' cable again? I would like to log my car to see if the parameters are still in check.
Oh Kyle, that was so three posts ago. :)

Majestic
September 22nd, 2010, 06:19
If you have to ask.

Take it to the dealer and please let them change the oil.

no need to be like that, I am here trying to learn.

Do i use the jack for the tire to jack up the car or do i have to buy something like a ramp to drive on
What do you guys do to lift the car?

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 06:20
yes, yes, yes

dyno your car with Pat.

We need some logs on a stock car that we know runs well.

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 06:28
No hard feelings. I did say please.

Honestly, I have been wrenching on cars for over 30 years and generally have no fear ripping into anything. That said, the RS6 is no place for a rookie to start learning how to service anything. If you had an A4 2.0t sure that would be ok but if you have to ask if the car needs jacked up...well, that pretty much speaks for itself.

Also, sorry we started talking about the upcoming dyno in MN.

no need to be like that, I am here trying to learn.

Do i use the jack for the tire to jack up the car or do i have to buy something like a ramp to drive on
What do you guys do to lift the car?

Majestic
September 22nd, 2010, 07:00
No hard feelings. I did say please.

Honestly, I have been wrenching on cars for over 30 years and generally have no fear ripping into anything. That said, the RS6 is no place for a rookie to start learning how to service anything. If you had an A4 2.0t sure that would be ok but if you have to ask if the car needs jacked up...well, that pretty much speaks for itself.

Also, sorry we started talking about the upcoming dyno in MN.

Its all good, I guess one more time at the dealership wont hurt, during winter I will read up on changing the oil and filter and purchase the necessary tools to do all maintenance myself in the future. Besides my window lock is stuck in the locked position and needs to be fixed, I hope fidelity picks this up the tab

johnnie27
September 22nd, 2010, 08:35
Its all good, I guess one more time at the dealership wont hurt, during winter I will read up on changing the oil and filter and purchase the necessary tools to do all maintenance myself in the future. Besides my window lock is stuck in the locked position and needs to be fixed, I hope fidelity picks this up the tab

mr Hall can be like that, its his sence of humor apparently... bahhhhh funny isn't he

i am somewhat hopeless at mech's stuff...but i have done 2 oil changes now at my friends w/shop...it is far easier on a hoist if you have access to that, if you are not as skilled as Mr Hall, i would not jack it...its a bit of a mine field of bars and stuff, and it helps alot if you can stand under the big thing! i wish it was like my X5 where the oil filter sits nice and easy up top under the hood..one nut and whalla..oh well. all the best man, props for asking

V8weight
September 22nd, 2010, 14:09
Being this a great thread to jack and all, Oct 2nd C & C is coming up soon. I have been thinking about a dyno run again. If they have room, I just may spend the 50 big ones to do it. Will you be able to use James' cable again? I would like to log my car to see if the parameters are still in check.
Do it! Yep, I'll have the cable and my laptop in tow. Should be a blast. I'm just getting my car ready this week to make sure everything is up to snuff. New maf's, maf seals, air filters, plugs, coil packs, and a fuel pressure regulator.

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 14:30
Wow. Nice work. I will have very fresh QB oil and should have ran through a tank or 2 of aces by then.
Do it! Yep, I'll have the cable and my laptop in tow. Should be a blast. I'm just getting my car ready this week to make sure everything is up to snuff. New maf's, maf seals, air filters, plugs, coil packs, and a fuel pressure regulator.

JRS-RS6
September 22nd, 2010, 15:28

The cable is on indefinite loan to Pat -- Rental fee is a copy of the logs to me an Dave. :)

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 15:40
...Do i use the jack for the tire to jack up the car or do i have to buy something like a ramp to drive on..?

Do NOT Use OEM Tire Jack...
That POS jack is not good for anything. You will have it collapse or fall off and that will be a world of problems for you (if you survive being smashed like a bug if you happen to be under it without other supports/jack stands). The jack is a POS and I won't even use it for an simple tire change.

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 15:51
Blinded by the font!

I searched youtube for the Manfred Man song "Blinded by the light" and look what I found.

Oh crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFciPD8C8aA&ob=av2n&has_verified=1

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 15:55
Don't you just love the modern era of internet vids..Sure the heck beats National Geograhic still pics in the day...LOL

Hmmm- time for me to get a new cleaning crew for the house...Of course- the real boss of the house would kick me out and keep the crew for herself...;0

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 20:24
Great find Dave

JSRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 20:36
Thank you Dave. And it's not even Friday yet :)

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 21:00
Yeah, it was a stretch for RS6 content but I found it funny when looking for that song in youtube. The ladies were all just right...not too tall, not too short...not too big or skinny....all of them just right. The outfits and dancing helped.

haha

Majestic
September 22nd, 2010, 22:09
Haha you guys are funny, how it got from an oil change to dancing girls in a you tube video i have no idea.

And thanks for the tip, i will not use the tire jack, I am looking for a low profile

skribe
September 23rd, 2010, 00:28
It's not that hard. The best thing you can do is find a buddy/neighbor/brother whatever who knows a little bit about this stuff to coach you along. Like Max said, don't use the stock jack for anything. In fact, I ditched mine, along with the spare tire to drop 60lbs because I have roadside assistance from USAA anyway.

Don't even use a jack at all, it's a whole lot easier to use ramps. Just don't get crap stamped metal chinese tuna can ones, because your car weighs 4000lbs and would crush you like a roach. I stick jack stands under the jack points after I drive up the ramps for the same reason Dave Hall wears a belt and suspenders at the same time.

The splash guard removal is very intuitive, with the exception of two 1/2 turn screws in each wheel well that at first you might miss.

Swinging the sway bar out of the way is not as hard as it sounds. Just remove the bolts in the two brackets with the rubber bushing and swing it down. You don't have to touch the larger bolts on either end of the sway bar.

You don't have to remove the lower intercooler hose, in fact, I wouldn't if I were you as it's trickier than you might think to get it to seat correctly and if you don't it will blow loose later. You do have to kind of snake the filter in and out from the back side if you don't remove the intercooler hose.

I would also get a caliper-style filter wrench to remove the oil filter. And I would also put down a large piece of cardboard because the first few times you will spill a pile of oil. Also get an oil catch basin from autozone or whoever.

Don't forget to replace the crush washer on the drain plug. If you try to recycle it, it will drip oil. Don't over-tighten the drain plug, you can strip the threads in your oil pan and then you're fooked big time.

Here's the big bummer of this whole thing. The price to you for the RS 6 - specific oil and filter from the dealer will run you $150 anyhow. So source some other oil that is to spec (that does NOT mean Mobil 1) that is cheaper.

V8weight
September 23rd, 2010, 00:39
One thing I forgot to mention. Do not crawl under the car armed with a standard 5 quart drain pan, the car holds about 2 gallons of oil, and the don't buy one of those drain pans with the lid that slopes down to a small hole in the center. The oil comes out hard and fast, and will overwhelm those silly enclosed pans. 50Nm on the drain plug.

1sadavant
September 23rd, 2010, 00:41
Majestic...here is an idea...add your location, thus someone local can show you the ropes!. Highly recommend ramps as well!

JSRS6
September 23rd, 2010, 00:43
Or above spec, lol. BND FTW!

skribe
September 23rd, 2010, 00:50
One thing I forgot to mention. Do not crawl under the car armed with a standard 5 quart drain pan, the car holds about 2 gallons of oil, and the don't buy one of those drain pans with the lid that slopes down to a small hole in the center. The oil comes out hard and fast, and will overwhelm those silly enclosed pans. 50Nm on the drain plug.

I actually use one of those silly enclosed pans cause their pretty convenient for draining the old filter as you're changing, it keeps up fine if you remove the large cap so it vents... but to your point, Pat, I removed that cap in a big old hurry the first time I drained the beast and watched the level of eight quarts of oil shooting up to the brim :lovl:

V8weight
September 23rd, 2010, 00:54
I actually use one of those silly enclosed pans cause their pretty convenient for draining the old filter as you're changing, it keeps up fine if you remove the large cap so it vents... but to your point, Pat, I removed that cap in a big old hurry the first time I drained the beast and watched the level of eight quarts of oil shooting up to the brim :lovl:
Never happened to me, but I saw it happen to someone we both know ;)

V8weight
September 23rd, 2010, 01:03
Don't you just love the modern era of internet vids..Sure the heck beats National Geograhic still pics in the day...LOL

Hmmm- time for me to get a new cleaning crew for the house...Of course- the real boss of the house would kick me out and keep the crew for herself...;0
LOL at the National Geographic pictures. Those were misleading, imagine my surprise and relief when I saw my first real pair and realized that they all didn't look like grapefruits in a tube sock.

DHall1
September 23rd, 2010, 02:10
Nat Geo tube sock grapefruits and LOFs of the RS6 will never be the same

LOL at the National Geographic pictures. Those were misleading, imagine my surprise and relief when I saw my first real pair and realized that they all didn't look like grapefruits in a tube sock.

Elevens
September 23rd, 2010, 04:47
Am I the only one to change the Oil Filter with out removing or loosening anything? I bought a Pliers type Filter Wrench, loosened the Filter to allow the standing Oil to drain out and then managed to position my hand behind the filter and screw it off and out from the engine with no issues at all. Replacement was just as easy. Only Hand tighten of course. The trick is to find the correct position behind the filter to wiggle it out.

JSRS6
September 23rd, 2010, 05:57
Am I the only one to change the Oil Filter with out removing or loosening anything? I bought a Pliers type Filter Wrench, loosened the Filter to allow the standing Oil to drain out and then managed to position my hand behind the filter and screw it off and out from the engine with no issues at all. Replacement was just as easy. Only Hand tighten of course. The trick is to find the correct position behind the filter to wiggle it out.

You are not sir! I did the same thing when I changed mine out. Once I had the filter off the threads, I angled it toward the passenger side tire and weaved it through that maze, around the ic piping.

ben916
September 23rd, 2010, 06:07
Am I the only one to change the Oil Filter with out removing or loosening anything? .
must be all the Sasquatch size handed peeps out there that can't get-er-dun... or is it lil-sis size hands?

JSRS6
September 23rd, 2010, 06:10
I hope she don't be changin no oil!

s42ski
September 24th, 2010, 01:49
Gotta agree with Dave here - if you have never jacked up the car or driven a car onto ramps then the RS6 is not a good place to start. Get a friend who has worked on cars to work with you or take it to a dealer.

OK Dave - where do I hire a cleaning service like that??? I have two fat guys that clean my office...

TozoM8
September 24th, 2010, 04:13
There is no $$$ in oil change. The dealer do it for next to nothing. If you don't have a lift just take it to the dealer.

DHall1
September 24th, 2010, 05:46
As I noted, I was searching for that song after Max went with the large font. Imagine my surprise when the ladies were the first hit. Wooohooo, I like the one on all fours with the sponge.

When it comes time for my next oil change....the images of Pat's Nat Geo and my lady on all fours will force me to double my meds for the day.

Gotta agree with Dave here - if you have never jacked up the car or driven a car onto ramps then the RS6 is not a good place to start. Get a friend who has worked on cars to work with you or take it to a dealer.

OK Dave - where do I hire a cleaning service like that??? I have two fat guys that clean my office...

skribe
September 24th, 2010, 14:40
There is no $$$ in oil change. The dealer do it for next to nothing. If you don't have a lift just take it to the dealer.

+1 on that, there's little $$$ to be saved. The dealer charges $150 to change it. The dealer charges $150 for the oil/filter/washer you need to change it yourself.

I change my own oil because it's an excuse for me to get under the car and check things out a bit, put ESPN on the radio, and drink beers in my garage. As a guy who's usually sitting on a train, at a desk or on a plane, I tend to value the few opportunities I have left to get my hands dirty :)

Another reason to DIY is if you believe in aftermarket super oils. I tend not to, but to each his own.

DHall1
September 24th, 2010, 15:24
The partys at Skribe's house. Lets change some erl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm6pSfpQ9ms&feature=player_embedded

There is still time for ya. I didnt believe in superoils and jacks till about 2 years ago. When Shell Rotella changed their oil to "comply" with the low sulfur diesel gas that came out....I did some digging and found the real truth. The additive package was reduced and the ability of the oil to lube and protect was greatly reduced. One company did not reduce the additive package and their name was Cummins. The Cummins oil maintained the exact same formula as before. This opened my eyes and I went down and bought a 6 pack to celebrate.