PDA

View Full Version : How much value do the following mod's increase a car's value for resale?

bakes
September 20th, 2010, 13:45
Hi all,

The reason I ask is that I am looking at two RS6's.

One has 45k miles is stock and they are asking 29k.

The other has 40k on the odometer plus these options:
APR ECU & TCU Upgrades, Milltek Audi RS6 Catback Exhaust, Hyperboost Diverter Valves, BMC Air Filters, 19-inch European RS6 Rims with Dunlop SP Sport Z rated tires (stock 18 inch rims with Bridgestone Blizzack winter tires...barely used and may have a transferrable 1 year warranty. The asking price is 36k. I like the colour of this car much better but the 7k price difference may be a bit large.

What do you say? opinions please.

JRS-RS6
September 20th, 2010, 14:34
Number two if the Timing Belt service has been done.

skribe
September 20th, 2010, 14:48
It's not an apples-to-apples comparison... every car is different.

It might sound counterintuitive, and I'm sure somebody will flame me for saying it, but from a valuation perspective, mods are worth nothing. This is why you'll see a lot of guys part out their modded pieces and take their cars back to stock when they go to sell.

Apart from the ECU, the mods on car two aren't going to do much for performance. Unless he has Milltek DP's, just a cat-back exhaust does practically nothing for the RS 6 other than changing the sound. Flame suit on, but that's the truth.

Then, it depends on the car. We've all had cars that are just trouble, and cars that are near perfect. I personally think the service history of a car tells the tale -- before I bought my RS 6, I looked at a few others, each time going to a dealer and having them pull the service history. Some had a long list of problems over the years, but the one I ended up buying was virtually trouble-free from day one. It was a very late build in the model run, maybe there's something to that.

I also looked for an unmodded car, my logic is that if the previous owner was into moddding the car for more power, they were also into flogging the car on a regular basis. That's my job! I want the last owner to be a guy in his 70s who only drove california highway miles... so that's what I found.

Of course, pay for the carfax if it's not available. Drive both cars, I would never buy a car without driving it, and sniffing it in person, even if that means wasting a plane ticket, but that's just me.

I've seen a half-dozen posters on this forum over the last year make an initial post that they just bought an RS 6 (sight unseen) and then immediately post a litany of problems once they get the car, or disappear and never post the promised follow-up, then you see the car they bought pop up for sale again two months later and have to wonder what the heck was wrong with it...

Good luck!

twinsteve
September 20th, 2010, 15:20
FWIW, I paid $28k for my RS6 with 44k miles..bone stock....I would personally choose the car with the better/more complete maintenance history

DHall1
September 20th, 2010, 15:41
88% correct on each and every count. Audi RS4ever makes good points below. If some of the mods are what you plan to complete and the car is not beat up...then there is some value. I went the 100% stock drivetrain route because at the time there were no modded examples that were in perfect condition with low miles.

I drove 5 RS6s in 3 states before making my purchase. Is it by luck that it was owned by a 70yr old retired doctor, lived in So Cal, 100% drivetrain stock, 1 service issue since new and had 22k miles. How many times has my car been into the dealer in over two years? And you all know how clean my car is. Where is that undercarriage picture again...

1 time. And that was for the DRC campaign.

Knock on wood.

36k for the modded car is a tad rich. It better be perfect. You're looking at a 5k ext warranty on top of these prices.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison... every car is different.

It might sound counterintuitive, and I'm sure somebody will flame me for saying it, but from a valuation perspective, mods are worth nothing. This is why you'll see a lot of guys part out their modded pieces and take their cars back to stock when they go to sell.

Apart from the ECU, the mods on car two aren't going to do much for performance. Unless he has Milltek DP's, just a cat-back exhaust does practically nothing for the RS 6 other than changing the sound. Flame suit on, but that's the truth.

Then, it depends on the car. We've all had cars that are just trouble, and cars that are near perfect. I personally think the service history of a car tells the tale -- before I bought my RS 6, I looked at a few others, each time going to a dealer and having them pull the service history. Some had a long list of problems over the years, but the one I ended up buying was virtually trouble-free from day one. It was a very late build in the model run, maybe there's something to that.

I also looked for an unmodded car, my logic is that if the previous owner was into moddding the car for more power, they were also into flogging the car on a regular basis. That's my job! I want the last owner to be a guy in his 70s who only drove california highway miles... so that's what I found.

Of course, pay for the carfax if it's not available. Drive both cars, I would never buy a car without driving it, and sniffing it in person, even if that means wasting a plane ticket, but that's just me.

I've seen a half-dozen posters on this forum over the last year make an initial post that they just bought an RS 6 (sight unseen) and then immediately post a litany of problems once they get the car, or disappear and never post the promised follow-up, then you see the car they bought pop up for sale again two months later and have to wonder what the heck was wrong with it...

Good luck!

AudiRS4ever
September 20th, 2010, 15:42
I can agree some with what Skribe wrote, but not all. I've found that some of my mods are worth around 40% of what I paid for them, while others are worth nothing when I sell one of my cars. I think what you should look at is if you would be putting the mods on the car that it already has. If the answer is yes, then you are ahead of the game. If the answer is no, then don't pay more for a car with mods you don't want.
You also have to take into consideration that people who mod the hell out of a car generally take better care of their cars (at least at this level they do). I change and flush every fluid I have constantly. I change my oil every year or 2,500 miles and use Red Line. Most people who don't mod just do the normal service intervals. Which means they may change the oil ever other year or 10,000 miles.
As far as flogging, I tend to agree with Skribe, but also note the above about most people that mod. Their cars are over-maintained. I don't flog my car very often, but there should be no problem when I do. Last time I checked these cars were designed to be driven hard.
Anyway, that's my .02. I would definitely buy the car you want. I wouldn't be scared of mods, unless they are mods you don't want. When I sell my car I can guarantee that won't be cheap selling it. It will take the right person that actually appreciates the mods and would want the same mods on their car.

SAF
September 21st, 2010, 01:02
Why rush? Look for options 3 and 4 and then this may become easier. I put the highest value on service records. If a car has 80k on it and all services, I'd take it over a 50k car with no history for the same money.

bakes
September 21st, 2010, 01:35
I am asking for the service records on both. the 45k stock car has lowered his price to 26k and the 40k modded car is now asking 31k.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I may need to move quickly as I'm selling my car and may have a buyer.

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 02:04
Good luck!

snoopra
September 21st, 2010, 07:19
$10-12K in upgrades, lower miles, extended warranty. Like everyone said, if your planning to do the mods its worth the 5K more. My .02

bakes
September 21st, 2010, 15:11
Found out the modded RS6 has two different tire sizes on the 19" rims. He's got 255/35/19 on the front and 265/30/19 on the rear...this is almost a circumference differerence of 3%...is this harmful for the quattro. I've told him ideal tires size should have been 265/35/19 to keep the speedo relatively the same versus the 255/40/18 stock tire size.

Thoughts?

ben916
September 21st, 2010, 16:30
Found out the modded RS6 has two different tire sizes on the 19" rims. He's got 255/35/19 on the front and 265/30/19 on the rear...this is almost a circumference differerence of 3%...is this harmful for the quattro. I've told him ideal tires size should have been 265/35/19 to keep the speedo relatively the same versus the 255/40/18 stock tire size.

Thoughts?

I am not sure on the why someone would do that BUT I remember reading in the owner's manual (yes, I read it) something about rotating the tires to ensure proper size between front/rear, I don't remember the % number. It would make sense, to me, for the 60/40 ratio.
I don't know if a warning light goes off and with that written, I know of a couple of peeps that had onion skins on their tires and they might peep up after this..

Edit: RATIO not RATION...

4everRS
September 21st, 2010, 16:45
There is no reason to run 2 different tire sizes. The Quattro system is likely sophisticated enough to adjust for this difference, but why whas it done in the first place? 265/35/19 would have an approx dia of 26.3"; 265/30/19 is 25.3" ; stock 255/40/18 is 26". I think I might use this information in negotiating prices.

Thoughts?

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 16:59
You cant teach stupid.

How stupid can you be to run two different tire sizes on a RS6.
255/35s are 26.02in tall

265/30s are 25.25in tall.

3/4in difference in height.

Any other questions?

I would ask how long these have been run this way. What wheels are on this car?

uncfrk
September 21st, 2010, 17:34

Thoughts?
My data shows about 1% difference. I've alway wondered how accurate these numbers are anyway. More meaningful are the revs per mile. 790 vs 799. Also, the 265/30/19s use a 9.5" wide rim for their data & the 255/35/19s use a 9" rim?? This can also affect the revs per mile. (my .02) (2% of one dollar)

Hy Octane
September 21st, 2010, 18:14
I was always told that when selling a performance car, you should remove all mods and return it to stock for best price..
With this machine especially, I would be wary of one with so many mods.. It means having to go to each source for info and maintenance as well as accepting any problems associated with these mods.
With as much stuff that needs attention on these cars stock, i'd buy stock and mod carefully.

skribe
September 21st, 2010, 18:17

Thoughts?

I would take this as a bad sign that this car has not been properly maintained... Often you see high-dollar tires sold as cheap used take-offs in sets of two, as they were salvage items and there were not four complete tires in the wreck. If you can't pony up $1200 bucks for a nice set of tires, what other maintenance did you skimp on? I'd bet the modded car is on it's third owner and somebody couldn't afford to keep it. Just a hunch.

Agree with SAF on service records. That is everything in a car like this. I had the opportunity to buy a pretty nice RS 6 for REALLY cheap from a guy who needed to get out of it fast, but the car had literally zero maintenance records for a full 30k miles of the 65k on the odo. I took a pass. As far as you know, the dipshit never changed the oil once in that entire span if there's no record of it.

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 18:34
Hi,

My name is Earl Scheib. We warranty each and every one of our paint jobs for the life of your car. You can trust our factory trained techs to paint your car as good as new. 99 dollars and we throw in a free bottle of our new Aces iv liquid go juice for your engine.

disclaimer....offer void in 49 states and only valid in Bell, Ca as long as the city maintains the police, fire and admin staff. offer void if car driven in freezing temps or parked outside for longer than 3 hours at any given time. offer also void if outside temps reach 80 degrees for any time period.

bakes
September 21st, 2010, 18:41
The guy has shown me the receipts where he had the mods done. KTR Performance. Unfortunately they are a Ferrari restoration shop so I'm not sure how many Audi Tech's would be empoloyed there. That being said, I'm sure an audi tech wouldnt be required to chip a car and swap in diverters. The same goes for the exhaust swap. He's given me the audi dealership where he took the car so I'll give them a call and ask for records. He's the original owner. I'll keep feeling him out.

I like the mods hes done. I would have liked to have chipped the car, better diverters aren't a bad idea, the exhaust seems to be the one of choice...the only bad decision he's seemed to have made is the silly staggered look with tires. I'm drilling him about that and he's saying he checked with the dealership and called audi to make sure it was ok. I'd still like to quickly move to a standard size accross the board for peace of mind.

The car also has a transferrable platinum warranty but i supposed staggered tires may void some coverage.

I'll keep researching the car(s).

uncfrk
September 21st, 2010, 18:54
I would start with $29k and add the mods that you want at about 50%. That should be a a reasonable price to offer.

skribe
September 21st, 2010, 19:04
Hi,

My name is Earl Scheib. We warranty each and every one of our paint jobs for the life of your car. You can trust our factory trained techs to paint your car as good as new. 99 dollars and we throw in a free bottle of our new Aces iv liquid go juice for your engine.

disclaimer....offer void in 49 states and only valid in Bell, Ca as long as the city maintains the police, fire and admin staff. offer void if car driven in freezing temps or parked outside for longer than 3 hours at any given time. offer also void if outside temps reach 80 degrees for any time period.

Somebody call Mrs. Hall quick! Dave needs his meds adjusted again!!!

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 19:11
I'm up in the land of liberals this week. Oregon

Street beggars on all four corners of stoplights. I have never seen it before. Amazing. They each guard their own corner. How is that change workin out for ya?

I may need more meds.

Who owns the Avus RS6 in Eugene? First one I have ever seen in this town.

bakes
September 21st, 2010, 19:17
Anyone live near Boston and may be willing to check the car out??

ben916
September 21st, 2010, 20:22
Who owns the Avus RS6 in Eugene? First one I have ever seen in this town.

Is PAT stalking you? or is it MAX?

If you like the mods, go for it!
I would be changing the tires out with the quickness... drive straight to the tire shop and make sure the tires are PS2 99Y XL's... :)

MaxRS6
September 21st, 2010, 21:02
Is PAT stalking you? or is it MAX?

I think I know who it is....

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/LilsisonRv1.jpg?t=1285099494

ben916
September 21st, 2010, 21:35
Hi,

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39291038/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001

Crystal Ball Dave Hall

MaxRS6
September 21st, 2010, 21:42
Now it will only be good if they end up behind bars being everyone's play thing for multiple years...Confiscate anything they have left and certainly do not pay out 1 more penny of their sham pensions. However; it still has cost the taxpayers millions for their shenanigans that will never be recouped. The sad part is the billions we don't even hear about being siphoned from our U.S. Treasure. DAM the BAstids!

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 21:51
Hahahah,

Dont listen to me. I'm crazy. hehe

Funny thing is this. Max gets all my "crazy" personal emails...he knows just as much about big crooked finance. Ben, you would loose a gasket if I sent you 5% of the stuff I send around.

JSRS6
September 21st, 2010, 22:15
I don't know if a warning light goes off and with that written, I know of a couple of peeps that had onion skins on their tires and they might peep up after this..

Edit: RATIO not RATION...

Onion skins? Why I oughtta...

;)

JSRS6
September 21st, 2010, 22:18
And no, there were no indicators.

ben916
September 21st, 2010, 23:06
Onion skins? Why I oughtta...

;)

I mentioned no names :)
Since the cat is outta the bag, there is ANOTHER peep here that onion skins fer shoes on the RS

JSRS6
September 21st, 2010, 23:13
Another? For shame!

V8weight
September 21st, 2010, 23:16
I mentioned no names :)
Since the cat is outta the bag, there is ANOTHER peep here that onion skins fer shoes on the RS
I do! What was the question? I forgot, and it's a long way back to the top of this thread. ;)

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 00:26
What the hell does a onion skin have to do with tires? No tread or rubber band sidewall?

bakes
September 22nd, 2010, 00:28
Boyz. You are thread jacking my thread!!!

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 00:30
Most of us have ADD. Given the chance we drag threads all around the world and back. Sorry

Keep us on track and get updates on your situation.

Boston. Who out there is close?

If you see anything in Oregon this week...LMK. Then Arizona next week....LMK and I can hot shoe the cars for ya.

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 00:32
Boyz. You are thread jacking my thread!!!

We are professionals..do not try at home....00

JSRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 00:46
What the hell does a hot shoe have to do with cars? Sorry Dave, I had to. On topic, if you find any near Norfolk, Richmond area, let me or genxer know. Happy to help :)

SAF
September 22nd, 2010, 01:10
I would definitely find out how long this guy has been running two different sized tires on the car. Two rotation rates front to back with quattro?? That can't be good, I don't care how you spin it. ;)

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 02:02
Don't start with me Pat. My beast has new rubber soles.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/HankookIcebear.jpg

I do! What was the question? I forgot, and it's a long way back to the top of this thread. ;)

SAF
September 22nd, 2010, 02:12
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/HankookIcebear.jpg

I just slapped on a set of Hankooks two weeks ago. Did you get the rebate info (http://www.hankooktireusa.com/greathit/)? $60 back!

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 03:17
Ya saw it - mine don't qualify. Icebears
I just slapped on a set of Hankooks two weeks ago. Did you get the rebate info (http://www.hankooktireusa.com/greathit/)? $60 back!

DHall1
September 22nd, 2010, 03:19
That is a good lookin set of winters.

I'm kinda jealous at you guys way up north. Just the thought of driving the beast in the winter on the proper set of tires just makes me want to head back up in the mtns.

V8weight
September 22nd, 2010, 04:07
Don't start with me Pat. My beast has new rubber soles.

What did I do?

That is a good lookin set of winters.

I'm kinda jealous at you guys way up north. Just the thought of driving the beast in the winter on the proper set of tires just makes me want to head back up in the mtns.
I myself would love to drive my car in the snow. Unfortunately, all we have up here is salt.

4everRS
September 22nd, 2010, 05:28
I looked as though you may have been ratting me out on the tires I was running on (which were all the same size), but I guess I just did that. I thought that by running them down past the wear bars, I was reducing rotational mass, along with diameter, thus making it faster. :vhmmm: Uh ... ya ... that's it.
What did I do?

I myself would love to drive my car in the snow. Unfortunately, all we have up here is salt.

V8weight
September 22nd, 2010, 05:36
I looked as though you may have been ratting me out on the tires I was running on (which were all the same size), but I guess I just did that. I thought that by running them down past the wear bars, I was reducing rotational mass, along with diameter, thus making it faster. :vhmmm: Uh ... ya ... that's it.
Haha, your paranoia got the best of you on that one :) I think Ben was calling me out on the fact that I'm running 30 series tires.

ben916
September 22nd, 2010, 06:31
Haha, your paranoia got the best of you on that one :) I think Ben was calling me out on the fact that I'm running 30 series tires.

I never!

bakes
September 24th, 2010, 05:13
Does anyone know if factory S6 rims fit the RS6? They are 19*9 with an et of 52. I think that pushes the rim in quite a bit and would probably rub for sure on the struts. Tires are 265/35/19.

Let me know please. I may be able to swap the staggered 19's on the RS6 that I'm looking at for the S6 rims.

Thoughts?

DHall1
September 24th, 2010, 05:34
19x9 rims need 29mm backspace.

Those wheels will not fit and I dont think you wish to run 25mm spacers.

Nor do those tires fit.