PDA

View Full Version : MB E63 vs. RS6 V8

GBG
September 17th, 2010, 21:08
Local MB dealer trying to talk me into trading the RS6 + $25k for a 2007 E36 with 20k miles. I'd rather not spend the $$ and I love the RS6... but it's getting a bit long in the tooth (7 yrs and 60k miles) the black E36 with 507 hp and only 20k miles looks damn good! What do you think? Please talk me out of it...:)

JSRS6
September 17th, 2010, 21:47
Dont do it!

Phewww, that was easy :-)

But seriously, there have been plenty of posts on here from people who have left the fold and immediately regret it. Just think about it ;-)

ben916
September 17th, 2010, 21:50
^ what Joshua said...

just wait until Dhall1 gets on here about his E55 hot, Hot, HOT issue

EDIT: NAME!

4everRS
September 17th, 2010, 21:58
E 63 I assume. Also check out Fonzi Audi's posts about the switch from the beast to an E63.

1.With revo, your car is probably faster.
2.Quattro
3.Turbo's

JSRS6
September 17th, 2010, 22:00
4. And that sexy body...

I personally am not a fan of the newer mb styling....

ben916
September 17th, 2010, 22:02
E 63 I assume. Also check out Fonzi Audi's posts about the switch from the beast to an E63.

2.Quattro
3.Turbo's

And now he has a S65 bi-turbo v12...

V8weight
September 17th, 2010, 22:15

2.Quattro
3.Turbo's
4.Torque
5.Torque
6.Torque
7.You'll miss the torque
8.Torque is king

skribe
September 17th, 2010, 22:31
If you have to ask...

DHall1
September 17th, 2010, 22:36
Fuc$in MB USA are bloomin idiots.

The E class AMG is literally a bomb waiting to happen. The fuel system workaround for the EPA mandate has created a huge problem for the E class. They are gas leakers and MB has no fix for the problem. Mark my words...you will soon see these blowing up.

In 13,000 miles we have had our E55 in the shop about 6 or 7 times. The Audi? 1 time for the DRC recall.

If your Audi is not flashed....do it and forget about the POS Eclass benz.

You can have our E55 if you want one real bad. 60k miles and perfectly mint condition. Trade you for your RS6 and give you 4k. What say you? :-)

4everRS
September 18th, 2010, 14:44
Fuc$in MB USA are bloomin idiots. Dave, did you turn into an aussie? hehe

DHall1
September 18th, 2010, 20:22
Yeah,

Ever since the damn car literally tried to kill me and MB USA ran for cover with their head in the sand. I have been screaming bloody murder. We have had the gas tank fixed 3 times in two years and less than 13000 miles. With no warning the gas starts to leak out the fuel level assemblies in the gas tank. Gas flows over the top of the tank and down the lower splash pans then starts to pour out near the exhaust pipes under the rear diff. The last time just about got me. Its just a matter of time before the next poor sucker is not so lucky. I can piss and moan about Audi not wanting to stock RS6 parts in the country but Audi designed the fuel system properly on the RS6 so in the end. I'm happy with Audi and my RS6. Now give me my TT/RS and Audi will have my business forever.

83 today. No idjuits out but we were sent off with 2 other so/so players. I blew up on the last 3 holes taking risk/reward shots to break 80 and got my head handed to me. Dammit.

Dave, did you turn into an aussie? hehe

mtmscs4
September 20th, 2010, 15:50
GBG... interesting dilema. I bought an RS6 last February from Audi of Danbury, completed the 75K service plus the water pump and I really enjoy this car. I've yet to complete any mods because I have fears of TC issues as so many folks on this site have experienced thus I'm relucatant to track the RS6.

To scratch the track day itch I recently purchased a 2007 E63 with 39K miles for $39K. If you tade in your RS6 plus $25K for an 07 E63 with 20K miles I think you're over paying for the E63. I've shopped alot of cars and your RS6 sould be worth about $21K-$25K so I wouldn't give the dealer more that 13-16K if you trade for the E63. Please take no offense to my stated value of your RS6 as you have to decide what it is worth to you and what the market will pay. After completing the 75K service and brakes I could never get back what I'm into the RS6 so I've deceided to keep it. The AMG can take the hammering of track day use but the RS6 is still a blast to drive and rare.

DHall1
September 20th, 2010, 15:59
Very well said.

I think GBGs car can fetch 28k on the open market.

AMG values drop like a rock after they are new. The RS6 is holding steady and E55s are worth almost nothing. Go figure.

GBG... interesting dilema. I bought an RS6 last February from Audi of Danbury, completed the 75K service plus the water pump and I really enjoy this car. I've yet to complete any mods because I have fears of TC issues as so many folks on this site have experienced thus I'm relucatant to track the RS6.

To scratch the track day itch I recently purchased a 2007 E63 with 39K miles for $39K. If you tade in your RS6 plus $25K for an 07 E63 with 20K miles I think you're over paying for the E63. I've shopped alot of cars and your RS6 sould be worth about $21K-$25K so I wouldn't give the dealer more that 13-16K if you trade for the E63. Please take no offense to my stated value of your RS6 as you have to decide what it is worth to you and what the market will pay. After completing the 75K service and brakes I could never get back what I'm into the RS6 so I've deceided to keep it. The AMG can take the hammering of track day use but the RS6 is still a blast to drive and rare.

skribe
September 20th, 2010, 16:01
To scratch the track day itch I recently purchased a 2007 E63 with 39K miles for $39K

Huh? A 39k track itch = Lotus Elise. Or Vette. Or 911. Or etc, etc, etc... You couldn't have just bought an E-Class for the track... could you?

DHall1
September 20th, 2010, 16:19
I noticed that too.

Maybe he likes to drag race the car. The Eclass AMG does hold up to repeated drag events.

RS6NZ
September 20th, 2010, 22:27
Having just made exactly this switch, RS6 for E63, I thought I'd drop in a few of the 'thought bubbles' I had when working this one through:

i) if it was a straight apples for apples comparison of cars in the same condition and with low mileage, then the RS6 wins for me - it just has that extra something about it, looks, quattro grip, low-end thrust, x-factor stuff. Jeremy Clarkson went the same way when Top Gear did the E55 vs RS6 comparo way back. His view was that the RS6 was Keith Moon, to the E55's Charlie Watts. Trouble is, low mileage RS6's are increasingly rare beasts, literally.

ii) if you are not comparing apples with apples (ie high mileage RS6 vs low mileage E63) then other factors come into play, i.e. what do you want to do with the car? Daily driver? Weekend special? Occasional track day or drag day?

iii) for me the car had to be a daily driver, couldn't be out of action every other week (which my RS6 was in spite of absolutely tip top service/maintenance focus), and still had to make me cackle maniacally when I planted the slipper.

iv) so my equation worked out that a 30K mile E63 was a better bet than a 100K mile RS6 when I needed a daily driver, that was still bloody fast, will probably outperform/handle the RS6 on dry roads (but not wet), and I couldn't justify having the RS6 for a weekend special.

So do I still have a little spot inside of me that goes 'damn, wish I could have kept it or found a really low mileage one'? Yes I do.

Do I regret getting the E63? No I don't.

Why? Because the 6.2L AMG engine at 7200 rpm gives me exactly the same tingles in the man vegetable region as the RS6 on full boost on a scary wet road gave me. It's a bloody stonking engine, and the rest of the car isn't half bad (and it's got a better transmission and better brakes than the RS6 IMHO).

Luckily we here downunder don't have to cope with the EPA-mandated solution that MB USA seems to have foisted on the E55 re the fuel system (does the E63 have the same issues in the US??).

With the utmost respect to Mr DuckFootRat, I think what MB have stuffed up with the E55 is not a million miles away from what Audi have done re handling the DRC (and other bits) debacle. So it's more a commentary on the company and its service/recall/customer relations approach than the car itself. And in the NZ scenario, less of an issue for me.

Others will go through their own thought processes and have their own selection criteria, and may well come out with a different answer. At the end of the day the RS6 is a fantastic (and flawed) car. So is the E63. How the differences between them play out in your decision, will depend on what you want from them.

skribe
September 21st, 2010, 00:53
That was thoughtful, objective, well-reasoned and thorough.

Exactly the kind of response that has no place in a car forum. :)

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 01:11
Yes and no,

I have the 30,000 mile RS6 so you are correct. Nothing in this world can replace my car. Well written observations on your choice for the E63.

What you have wrong IMHO is the fuel system mess that MB has designed. The fuel system in the E55 has a design flaw that causes gasoline to start leaking without notice from the gas tank. The gas starts flowing out the top of the tank and spills over down the side and finally on the lower splash shield right next to the exhaust. Ever seen what happens when you light gas fumes and have a 20 gallon source of fuel nearby? Do a youtube search.

That situation does not come close to the shock failure of the DRC in the RS6. Not even in the same ballpark. One problem will blow you up...the other makes your car ride like crap.

As for the E63 fuel system. I think there will be a problem in a few years. Its the same design and same tank. I also am aware of a couple of E63s that were bought back by MB USA for fuel problems.

Having just made exactly this switch, RS6 for E63, I thought I'd drop in a few of the 'thought bubbles' I had when working this one through:

i) if it was a straight apples for apples comparison of cars in the same condition and with low mileage, then the RS6 wins for me - it just has that extra something about it, looks, quattro grip, low-end thrust, x-factor stuff. Jeremy Clarkson went the same way when Top Gear did the E55 vs RS6 comparo way back. His view was that the RS6 was Keith Moon, to the E55's Charlie Watts. Trouble is, low mileage RS6's are increasingly rare beasts, literally.

ii) if you are not comparing apples with apples (ie high mileage RS6 vs low mileage E63) then other factors come into play, i.e. what do you want to do with the car? Daily driver? Weekend special? Occasional track day or drag day?

iii) for me the car had to be a daily driver, couldn't be out of action every other week (which my RS6 was in spite of absolutely tip top service/maintenance focus), and still had to make me cackle maniacally when I planted the slipper.

iv) so my equation worked out that a 30K mile E63 was a better bet than a 100K mile RS6 when I needed a daily driver, that was still bloody fast, will probably outperform/handle the RS6 on dry roads (but not wet), and I couldn't justify having the RS6 for a weekend special.

So do I still have a little spot inside of me that goes 'damn, wish I could have kept it or found a really low mileage one'? Yes I do.

Do I regret getting the E63? No I don't.

Why? Because the 6.2L AMG engine at 7200 rpm gives me exactly the same tingles in the man vegetable region as the RS6 on full boost on a scary wet road gave me. It's a bloody stonking engine, and the rest of the car isn't half bad (and it's got a better transmission and better brakes than the RS6 IMHO).

Luckily we here downunder don't have to cope with the EPA-mandated solution that MB USA seems to have foisted on the E55 re the fuel system (does the E63 have the same issues in the US??).

With the utmost respect to Mr DuckFootRat, I think what MB have stuffed up with the E55 is not a million miles away from what Audi have done re handling the DRC (and other bits) debacle. So it's more a commentary on the company and its service/recall/customer relations approach than the car itself. And in the NZ scenario, less of an issue for me.

Others will go through their own thought processes and have their own selection criteria, and may well come out with a different answer. At the end of the day the RS6 is a fantastic (and flawed) car. So is the E63. How the differences between them play out in your decision, will depend on what you want from them.

V8weight
September 21st, 2010, 01:15

Haha, quick, flash a "girleee peecture" before we start thinking straight!

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 01:18
Lil sis,

Get out of Pat's back seat!

V8weight
September 21st, 2010, 01:23
Lil sis,

Get out of Pat's back seat!
She say's she want's to ride in a 35k mile RS6!
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/UglyGirl.jpg

Aronis
September 21st, 2010, 01:27
stop that!

There's no place on this forum for such photographs.

V8weight
September 21st, 2010, 01:32
stop that!

There's no place on this forum for such photographs.
Hahahahaha! Oh crap, wrong girlie picture.

RS6NZ
September 21st, 2010, 10:54

:doh: what was I thinking :hahahehe:

The funny thing is, over on mbworld.org there are some equal and opposite threads with a bunch of AMG-heads passionately talking a lone idjuit out of buying an RS6...

DHall1
September 21st, 2010, 15:24
Nor did those same idjuits like it when I poopoo'ed their all mighty W211 AMG and MB USA. That was until about 12 W211 AMG owners found the same damn fuel leak I had but in different stages of failure. One guy literally had fuel pouring out the back of his car as he pulled in his garage this week. A neighbor came up running and screaming to get out of the car before it blows up.

Na, they dont have a problem. Nothing to see here folks.

:doh: what was I thinking :hahahehe:

The funny thing is, over on mbworld.org there are some equal and opposite threads with a bunch of AMG-heads passionately talking a lone idjuit out of buying an RS6...

Fonzie Audi
September 22nd, 2010, 22:33
Here is the simple answer according to Fonzie -

If your RS6 is in good condition (tranny, suspension, ect) - Do NOT do it.

You will miss driving the RS6 every day of your life. Torque is more addicting than heroin. Every time you try to pass someone from around 40-50mph- you will shed a small tear.

The E63 (mine was 2010) is beautiful it's it's own way. I even modded the hell out of it. Very, very fast on the highway. Sound makes every head turn. But city driving, off the line, red light races, and pure thrill - RS6
all day.

Don't do it

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2010, 23:19
Good to hear from you again Fonzie! Keep bringin us more vids and sounds as they rock!

DHall1
September 23rd, 2010, 05:31
GBG made the plunge!

How in the hell did his car end up in FL already. 26,900 seems like a good price with those add-ons. The RNSE is still in the car. He could have sold that for 1200 in an instant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-AUDI-RS6-QUATTRO-4-2-TURBO-AWD-4X4-SEDAN-NICE-/160484441553?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item255d9e3dd1

ben916
September 23rd, 2010, 06:23
GBG made the plunge!

How in the hell did his car end up in FL already. 26,900 seems like a good price with those add-ons. The RNSE is still in the car. He could have sold that for 1200 in an instant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-AUDI-RS6-QUATTRO-4-2-TURBO-AWD-4X4-SEDAN-NICE-/160484441553?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item255d9e3dd1

SWEET RIMS!!!! and the RNS-E!!!

I smell a "told-ya-so" moment coming...

johnnie27
September 23rd, 2010, 07:19
Here is the simple answer according to Fonzie -

If your RS6 is in good condition (tranny, suspension, ect) - Do NOT do it.

You will miss driving the RS6 every day of your life. Torque is more addicting than heroin. Every time you try to pass someone from around 40-50mph- you will shed a small tear.

The E63 (mine was 2010) is beautiful it's it's own way. I even modded the hell out of it. Very, very fast on the highway. Sound makes every head turn. But city driving, off the line, red light races, and pure thrill - RS6
all day.

Don't do it

std v's std...the benz has much more torque and BHP? is it that the RS6 put most of its torque down from 2800 rpm where the benz is at 5,000rpm?? as that 6.2 ltr is a smashing engine in a C class i have not driven a E63