PDA

View Full Version : hid fog lights issues

ronin_S6
September 12th, 2010, 00:55
I just installed HID kit on my foglights with anti-warning capacitor but I still have trouble with my fogs: sometimes the 2 light up, sometimes just the driver one, sometimes just the passenger one and sometimes none. I get somehow most of the time only the driver side lighten up.

I've tried with no capacitor at first, then put small capacitor in the circuit and then finally since all of this didn't work, I bought the anti-warning kit but it doesn't work better.

Did anyone experienced the same thing??? I'm really fed up and don't know what to do with it now...

TozoM8
September 12th, 2010, 01:53
Try to run a temporary ground wire from the frame. Some aftermarket HID doesn't like the OEM skinny ground wire by the bulb.

Elevens
September 12th, 2010, 05:02
Anti-Warning Capacitors? Never heard of them. At any rate I don't believe the Fogs are even monitored. I had to perform extensive modification to my fog light housings just to get the 6000K Hid bulbs to fit. Then I just mounted both Ballasts and installed a Relay kit. The Relay is triggered by the hot wire from the stock fog light bulb connector. Also I had to disable the Fog dimmer (which turns off the Fogs whenever you hit the High Beams), since HID's are not designed for momentary flashing if you flash your headlights. I am curious to know what kind of setup you have.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010054.jpg

Holiday
September 12th, 2010, 05:50
Elevens- REALLY impressed with the HID foglight look! Looks much more appropriate than the HID/Conventional OEM setup... Mind posting a quick write-up discussing the parts/labor?

Elevens
September 13th, 2010, 02:57
Elevens- REALLY impressed with the HID foglight look! Looks much more appropriate than the HID/Conventional OEM setup... Mind posting a quick write-up discussing the parts/labor?

Sorry Holiday, I really didn't document the procedure as I did it. It was done about 6 months ago and what I do remember is cutting the electrical connectors off the back of the bulb holders. Going the Homedepot and picking up a couple of small PVC end caps of the appropriate diameter. Glued them to the back of the Bulb holders with weather proof sealant. Then you have to drill a hole in the back of the end caps to allow the HID Bulb wires to pass through and then seal with the rubber gasket that comes with the bulb. Each ballast is mounted directly beneath the Fog Lamp and out of sight. Any decent quality H7 HID Kit will work. However I don't recommend the procedure I just mentioned, since really it was hit or miss. It just so happened it worked out for me. But you have to really be creative and determined, to make this work. What I will do is to take some photo's of the Fog Lamp housing the next time I remove it, so you can see exactly what I did.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010056.jpg

Holiday
September 14th, 2010, 00:29
Looking forward to it; I'm a fan... It's beyond me why Audi would've neglected to do this from the factory on their flagship (03') car?

Sorry Holiday, I really didn't document the procedure as I did it. It was done about 6 months ago and what I do remember is cutting the electrical connectors off the back of the bulb holders. Going the Homedepot and picking up a couple of small PVC end caps of the appropriate diameter. Glued them to the back of the Bulb holders with weather proof sealant. Then you have to drill a hole in the back of the end caps to allow the HID Bulb wires to pass through and then seal with the rubber gasket that comes with the bulb. Each ballast is mounted directly beneath the Fog Lamp and out of sight. Any decent quality H7 HID Kit will work. However I don't recommend the procedure I just mentioned, since really it was hit or miss. It just so happened it worked out for me. But you have to really be creative and determined, to make this work. What I will do is to take some photo's of the Fog Lamp housing the next time I remove it, so you can see exactly what I did.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010056.jpg

ronin_S6
October 8th, 2010, 03:03
Thanks guys, I just redo all my wirering on the HID and everything is fine

ronin_S6
October 8th, 2010, 03:05
I will try to remember to take some time to take a picture of my set up of HID fog light kit so you can see what you need to modify on the fog light

MaxRS6
October 8th, 2010, 03:10
I will try to remember to take some time to take a picture of my set up of HID fog light kit so you can see what you need to modify on the fog light

Please do post up some pics as I'd be interested in attemping this one as I think it looks great.

arS6
October 10th, 2010, 07:24
Anti-Warning Capacitors? Never heard of them. At any rate I don't believe the Fogs are even monitored. I had to perform extensive modification to my fog light housings just to get the 6000K Hid bulbs to fit. Then I just mounted both Ballasts and installed a Relay kit. The Relay is triggered by the hot wire from the stock fog light bulb connector. Also I had to disable the Fog dimmer (which turns off the Fogs whenever you hit the High Beams), since HID's are not designed for momentary flashing if you flash your headlights. I am curious to know what kind of setup you have.

How did you disable the fog dimmer? I have HID bulbs for fogs too. I like to do the same.

tidus888
October 10th, 2010, 08:56
wow! i need to see the install pics also... i was trying to put on HIDs and after seeing the back housing... i just changed the bulb instead.... as to those anti-warning capacitor i think is used to defeat some headlight system that uses square waves to make headlight last longer but would kill the HID ballast.

pics please!!!!

Elevens
October 11th, 2010, 02:45
I have no pics. From now on I will document every mod I do with pictures. Remove driver knee panel, locate the Relay panel and the purple relay numbered 381. Remove this relay and locate Terminals numbered 30 and 87 on the Relay. Now locate on the Relay panel where these Terminals plug into. Make a short jumper with spade lugs on each end, and bridge the points on the Relay panel you have just located. That's it. If you wish to return to normal, merely remove jumper and reinsert Relay. Hope this helps....................

arS6
October 11th, 2010, 03:09
I have no pics. From now on I will document every mod I do with pictures. Remove driver knee panel, locate the Relay panel and the purple relay numbered 381. Remove this relay and locate Terminals numbered 30 and 87 on the Relay. Now locate on the Relay panel where these Terminals plug into. Make a short jumper with spade lugs on each end, and bridge the points on the Relay panel you have just located. That's it. If you wish to return to normal, merely remove jumper and reinsert Relay. Hope this helps....................

Thanks, I will try it this week. How do you guys know this stuff anyway?

Elevens
October 11th, 2010, 03:26
Thanks, I will try it this week. How do you guys know this stuff anyway?

I use a Bentley service manual on CD. Not the easiest thing to use, but it is pretty helpful. All of the wiring schematics are on there. If you are a Do it yourself-er you should definitely have one........

dab
October 19th, 2010, 13:31
a simpler way is to add some brighter bulbs, they look the same as the HID without the work

JSRS6
October 19th, 2010, 13:44
Dab,

Can you post some pics backing this up? Also what bulbs did you use?

MaxRS6
October 19th, 2010, 16:16
I had the PIAA 7500 as the fogs and they worked very well. However; one of them was recently broken during a service repair. When I tried to order another PIAA set, Autothing.com stated the bulb had been discontinued by the manufacturer. On Autothings recommendation I tried the Nokya Magnum Cosmic White bulb. However; I preferred the light of the PIAA.

Now that this subject has arisen it has made me take a fresh look. I now notice that my passenger side headlight bulb is more yellowish than the driver side bulb. Does anyone have the part number for the headlight bulbs as I may order another set. This is actually one of the more and more rare items that hasn't yet been replaced on the car.

as350
October 19th, 2010, 17:51
Main headlight bulb, from ETKA:

N-104-457-01 gas discharge bulb, D2S-12V35W

MaxRS6
October 19th, 2010, 17:53
Thank you