PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem. Any Ideas??

Abu RS6
September 10th, 2010, 05:54
Hello All,
Newbie here although I have been a lurker for quite a while. Car is a RS6 2004 abt in Avus Silver.
Am currently having a problem with starting. The car has been in the shop for the last 6 weeks and I believe they are baffled by it. When starting it cranks for a while then fires then the revs decrease and it dies. After this when I try to start it cranks for a lot longer than normal then sort of splutters into life.
So far they have replaced the EGT sensors (twice), the battery and the fuel pump and still the problem persists.
I have searched but could not find much about it.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

ben916
September 10th, 2010, 07:04
1st off, welcome! <queue Ozzy, please>
2nd, where in the world are you? UK, Perhaps? Just a guess with ABT... not too many stateside.
3rd what about the fuel filter? plugs? filter assembly?

Abu RS6
September 10th, 2010, 08:23
I'm out in Abu Dhabi UAE but am from the U.K. Its only just had its 40k major service so they should have changed the plugs, not sure if the filter has been changed. Regarding the filter assembly I will check with the dealer as I'm not to sure. Apparently they have referred it to Audi Middle East, really don't think they have a clue what it is.
Thanks for the info

4everRS
September 10th, 2010, 13:05
my bet is with fueling. Regulator and/or injectors.

V8weight
September 10th, 2010, 14:11
Immobilizer?

JSRS6
September 10th, 2010, 14:29
1st off, welcome! <queue Ozzy, please>
2nd, where in the world are you? UK, Perhaps? Just a guess with ABT... not too many stateside.
3rd what about the fuel filter? plugs? filter assembly?
4th any pics? :-)

Abu RS6
September 18th, 2010, 06:21
Will do my best to take some when I get it back. Hopefully it will be before the next millennium.

JSRS6
September 18th, 2010, 13:30
Good luck with her ;-)

IRS6I
September 18th, 2010, 16:41
Tell them to check/replace the G28 sensor.

Without a crank position the car will not start/run.

RS6Steve
September 18th, 2010, 19:15
Plug VAGCOM in for a start this will help.

Did it run okay before the service? Has it run since the service?

Edit, just an idea, unplug the MAFs and see if it starts......

TozoM8
September 18th, 2010, 19:26
Try to push down on the back of the intake. It could be the MAFs are not seated properly in the turbos and you have a major vacuum leak.