PDA

View Full Version : Playing "Chicken" with Deer

Amulet-S6
September 9th, 2010, 15:19
I blinked, so the deer won this round...

Actually was avoiding herd of deer on my way home last Fri ~10:30 pm. 5 deer jumped into path from left; swerved onto shoulder on the right. One lone deer decided to jump into my path, so "bumped" him/her and proceeded over the side of the roadway. Put my DE skills to use... Turned steering wheel, then hit brakes like I was supposed to right?! Shoulder of road lead to a 6' drop-off that sloped down to an open field, but slid on wet grass into the end of a hedge-row that had downed trees. Skewered the front end of my car. Should buff right out!

2 hours for PD to show up.... "shift change" then another hour for report and tow truck. Not the most upscale area; No street lights, so kind of eerie sitting in the dark. Two of 20+ cars stopped to see if I needed help. Didn't have my pistol in the car. Now understand the conceal and carry idea. Pistol will return to lock-box in trunk.

Deer were running back and forth in front of my car while PD was doing his write-up. I think the deer I hit was showing his buddies the damage he'd done to my car... When is deer season?

That's about it.... life goes on. "Forced to drive my wife's convertible in our near perfect weather.

My Question to you; Looks like damage is to all the coolant parts: Radiator, tranny cooler, inter-coolers, front bumper and the headlights. What "upgrades" options are out there? I would like clear corners, do the Euro headlights fit our cars seemlessly? Any downside?

Most important to me, I'm not injured. Keep Smiling, IMG_0508.JPG

MaxRS6
September 9th, 2010, 15:56
Dang! Glad to hear you are okay Jim!

Guess that fills in why you may not be at HPT in Oct.

I wish you well with the repair efforts.

Have you considered 3m Clear Bra after the repair as you will have a fresh spray?

snoopra
September 9th, 2010, 16:17
@#%*?!!! I feel your pain. Euro lights go for top dollar, maybe pull yellow markers if lights aren't damaged?

ben916
September 9th, 2010, 17:24
Wagner's or Apikol's intercoolers

If your hood is toast, you might consider Headshot's Hood Vents...on the old hood for a "test cut" ...

yokust
September 9th, 2010, 20:57
Well if you dont go aftermarket

I have a a good set of stock intercoolers, and the engine/trans cooler

JSRS6
September 9th, 2010, 21:04
Does your engine trans cooler come with lines? If not, I have one of them. I'll put the pn up tonight.

Amulet-S6
September 9th, 2010, 22:11
Dang! Glad to hear you are okay Jim!

Guess that fills in why you may not be at HPT in Oct.

I wish you well with the repair efforts.

Have you considered 3m Clear Bra after the repair as you will have a fresh spray?

Hopefully I'll have my track dedicated car by then... :)

Amulet-S6
September 9th, 2010, 22:16
@#%*?!!! I feel your pain. Euro lights go for top dollar, maybe pull yellow markers if lights aren't damaged?

Antler through right lens. Left has what looks to be a hoof scratch pretty deeply into plastic. Both being replaced. I've got a source that may be able to order new in England

Clear bra is a definite after repaint.

I'll Google Headshots Hood Vent; Never heard of it.
My neighbor has some custom RennTek hood vents on his Mercedes that really blend well.

yokust
September 9th, 2010, 22:43
Does your engine trans cooler come with lines? If not, I have one of them. I'll put the pn up tonight.

yes I have all the lines

I also have the A/C parts also, but no radiator

DHall1
September 9th, 2010, 23:11
The wet grass is like ice. So you must have went off pretty much straight in? Which is best because that is where the crush zone helps in any impact. Sideways is where the big trouble can happen.

Other than making sure Audi parts are used. I would say make damn sure nobody tries to start the car until 100% sure the engine oil lines are intact and engine full of oil.

JSRS6
September 9th, 2010, 23:39
The wet grass is like ice. So you must have went off pretty much straight in? Which is best because that is where the crush zone helps in any impact. Sideways is where the big trouble can happen.

Other than making sure Audi parts are used. I would say make damn sure nobody tries to start the car until 100% sure the engine oil lines are intact and engine full of oil.

Amen. The gospel of Dave shall never fail. This was a point of contention when I was closely following my repairs.

JSRS6
September 9th, 2010, 23:43
yes I have all the lines

I also have the A/C parts also, but no radiator

Damn, not sure whether to hold on to this thing or put it on eBay....

ben916
September 10th, 2010, 02:47
Antler through right lens. Left has what looks to be a hoof scratch pretty deeply into plastic. Both being replaced. I've got a source that may be able to order new in England

Clear bra is a definite after repaint.

I'll Google Headshots Hood Vent; Never heard of it.
My neighbor has some custom RennTek hood vents on his Mercedes that really blend well.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/16226-Hood-Vents-Lip-Spoilers-Installed?highlight=headshot