PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a RS6 Avant

flyboy
September 19th, 2003, 10:04
The expansion of my family (one 14 month old and another on the way (April '04) means that I am looking at changing the E46 M3 Convertible for something 'more practical'.

To the wife that means something like an X5, but to me it's a RS6! I've been to the local dealership and had a look at one in the flesh and I really like it but the only thing my wife could say was 'why would anyone spend £60k on an estate car?'
Women, go figure.....:confused:

My main question is if it's worth paying the full retail for a brand spanking new one or would I be better with a low mileage 6 month old model with a few grand off the new price. My only concern would be that the car had been 'thrashed' either as a demonstrator or by its first owner. Certainly with the M3 there were some very strict running in 'rules' to be observed for the first few thousand miles and I would be worried that someone else might not have been as careful as I would.

Secondly, what's the story with chipping? Will Audi actually do it for you pre-delivery or in the workshop afterwards? With the BM this was a big no-no and any engine chipping nul and voided your warranty. How much are we looking at price wise?

The last question is about the Satnav. Can you get a TMC enabled CD as I have one in the M3 and the symbols that come up on the map to indicate traffic jams are a real life saver.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please....

:cheers:

peterb
September 19th, 2003, 11:54
Originally posted by flyboy
The expansion of my family (one 14 month old and another on the way (April '04) means that I am looking at changing the E46 M3 Convertible for something 'more practical'.

To the wife that means something like an X5, but to me it's a RS6! I've been to the local dealership and had a look at one in the flesh and I really like it but the only thing my wife could say was 'why would anyone spend £60k on an estate car?'
Women, go figure.....:confused:
Yep, my wife still claims to have problems understanding why I spent so much on a car!

My main question is if it's worth paying the full retail for a brand spanking new one or would I be better with a low mileage 6 month old model with a few grand off the new price. My only concern would be that the car had been 'thrashed' either as a demonstrator or by its first owner. Certainly with the M3 there were some very strict running in 'rules' to be observed for the first few thousand miles and I would be worried that someone else might not have been as careful as I would.
I haven't bought second-hand since 1980, but only you can say whether you'd be happier with a brand new car. From what you say, I suspect that you've already made your decision!

Secondly, what's the story with chipping? Will Audi actually do it for you pre-delivery or in the workshop afterwards? With the BM this was a big no-no and any engine chipping nul and voided your warranty. How much are we looking at price wise?
Audi UK will allow the dealer to install an ABT upgrade, and maintain warranty. Not cheap - you're looking at over £3k just for the chip.

The last question is about the Satnav. Can you get a TMC enabled CD as I have one in the M3 and the symbols that come up on the map to indicate traffic jams are a real life saver.
According to TeleAtlas, who do the discs for the Blaupunkt/Audi systems, a TMC-enabled disc is due 'real soon now'! All the necessary hardware is already installed in the RS6.

Go on - order yourself an RS6, you won't regret it!

Erik
September 19th, 2003, 12:04
Welcome flyboy!

I think peterb just wrote my opinion as well.

Finnus
September 19th, 2003, 12:55
Welcome, flyboy!

Take the plunge. As Arnold (Schwarzeneger) would say, "Just do eet [it]!" Why go used with all of the questions to save a few thousand pounds. Is it worth the angst?

Finnus

:addict:

Bauer
September 19th, 2003, 18:41
Welcome aboard!!! and I agree with what everyone has said here. Only opnion I would add would be get the chip with the warranty!!!! If they did it the the U.S. I would pay the extra cash.

TaTaPiRaTa
September 25th, 2003, 19:48
I think you can go for 6m used one as I'm doing now.

The price decrase is dramatic in first months so you can save lots of $$$ while if lucky have the same fun - nearly all RSs come loaded.

I was considering Cayenne S, but I prefer speed and handling over bashing off road. I think X5 shuold be no option - old one too old while facelithed to fresh to risk.

I'm considering chip upgrade as you do, I'll be talking to my dealer tomorrow to see the warranty terms.
I think if there is no risk to damage the car with chip tuning why not do it - it is crazy anyway to spend so much money for so much HPs, while most of the time one doesn't use at all :)

As for the X5 vs RS6 please note that RS6 is rather unique car and most of the people don't see the difference with normal A6 - that's a value itself.

madmark
September 25th, 2003, 22:59
i d definitely go for a new one matey .I bought an ex demo trying to save a few bob and it had been thrashed , piston slap from cold , prematurely worn out brake discs etc . Its not worth it for the small saving ie, new tyrea , discs , servicing etc.I ended up buying a new one anyway and blowing more money . I honestly reckon this is one estate car that is worth every penny of 60 k and I upgraded also from an e46 m3 . rs6 is double the car of an m3 in every way ! Go on buy it and enjoy it u tight bugger!!

Benman
September 26th, 2003, 03:44
Originally posted by madmark
i d definitely go for a new one matey . I honestly reckon this is one estate car that is worth every penny of 60 k and I upgraded also from an e46 m3 . rs6 is double the car of an m3 in every way ! Go on buy it and enjoy it u tight bugger!!
And there you have it! To MadMark and Flyboy welcome to the club and enjoy!:cheers:

Ben:addict: