PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Newbie Questions

afzalr
September 8th, 2010, 20:20
Hi All

I just picked up my 2008 C6 RS6 today and am totally wowed. Got it serviced by Audi earlier today. Complication is that they don't market the RS6 here so spares will be a bit of a pain, although its sold in Singapore, a 3 hour drive away.

I've looked through the forum and have answered most of my queries (thank you), but just have a couple questions left to ask:

1. My tyre pressure indicators seem to be wonky. It keeps telling me to "check tyre pressure", but when I measure them manually using a Michelin gauge, the readings don't tally. And its not like as if the same tyre reads high. The readings jump around a lot. Any others with a similar experience?The diagnostic reader did find a fault, but it was categorised as "sporadic", and thus cleared after a second attempt

2. There's a heck of a lot of brake judder at high speeds (>150kmh). I supposed that's just down to skimming the discs, (car has 11k km on the clock, and his been sitting on the lot for a while) but just wondering if it could be something else

3. (This one will be considered sacrilege) The car runs on 20" rims, and roads around here aren't the best. I will be using it for my daily commute (c.130km/day), and I'm wondering if (sorry) swapping them out for 19" will improve the ride? I know most folks go the other way, but would be keen to hear experiences

4. As there only seem to be a handful of RS6s here, the Audi garage doesn't have much experience with them. The daytime running light/LEDs failed and then came back on again with an error message. Restarted the car and it was fine. Again a "sporadic" failure on the ECU, fault cleared in the end. They told me each headlamp will cost c. USD1800 to replace! Any views please?

5. Last one. I've been drooling looking at the MTM performance enhancements. Any major issues with pushing it up to 730bhp?

Many, many thanks for any and all responses. I did look around the forum before I posted, so I hope that my questions are relevant.

Cheers
Afzal.

sallyh
September 9th, 2010, 12:56
Hi

Congratulations on your purchase! I have a 2009 RS6 Avant that I absolutely love and just have a few comments (purely from another owner's viewpoint, I'm sure others know a lot more on this forum):

1: re. tyre pressures, fill the tyres so they are right by your manual Michelin gauge, then start engine, go into the MMI and push "store tyre pressures" when driving along at a moderate pace on a straight road. This should fix it so when you push "display tyre pressures" it should be an accurate reading and stop doing the annoying "check tyre pressure" when they are actually OK. I must admit that I do find the whole tyre pressure/temp. reading thing quite fascinating and yes, it does move around a bit and shows differences if you repeatedly drive around in one direction in a circuit, and even registers the driver's weight influence.

2. Agree about the "juddering" over 150kms. Nothing terribly knowledgable to say except that I've got the ceramics and the steel bolts were recently replaced under warranty by titanium ones which perhaps will fix this issue (haven't had the chance to test it yet). But then again perhaps it is just the weight of the car being hauled up by the very effective brakes?

3. Well, 20 inch wheels for me. Try the "comfort" setting in the MMI for suspension. I had to move some fish in buckets of water recently and it was possible, with no sloshing around, in this setting, and very smooth driving. Don't know about switching to 19 inch.

4. My car is still under warranty and the dealer is very good and helpful, this DRL is a well known issue, and I am currently awaiting new headlights under warranty because of the LED failure. I don't think you should have to pay for it yourself.

5. I'd love to know the answer to "any major issues with pushing it up to 730hp?" It might get it on the dyno. but does it survive day-to-day driving?

Anyway, good luck and happy times with your RS6!

afzalr
September 10th, 2010, 20:07
Hi sallyh,

Many thanks for your response. I did as you said on the tyre pressure issue and the problem is now gone. Just did a 400 km drive in the car and it was awesome, apart from the brake judder. What's scary is that you really forget how fast you're going, particularly as you breach the 200 km/h mark.

It's going in to the Audi service center in Singapore tomorrow morning for a quick look, and they'll advise if i need to just skim the discs (hopefully) or whether or not they need to be replaced. I'll also ask if the DRL is still covered under warranty. The manufacturers warranty covers it till May 2011, but it's a UK based one so I'm not sure if they'll honor that here.

On the ride comfort issue, i think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I've been spoiled by the compliant ride on my Cayenne Turbo over the years so, i think it'll take me a which to get used to the RS6.

Thanks again for your inputs. Will keep the forum informed if anything interesting happens.

Cheers
Afzal.