PDA

View Full Version : Front End Clicking

Gustaf
September 7th, 2010, 18:39
Guys,
I've done a search through prior posts on the forum but cannot find anything that sounds similar.
The other day, I began to hear a clicking type noise coming from the front end of my car. It started when I was backing into a parking space and the wheels were turned slightly to the left and I heard click-click-click as I was backing in. I can also reproduce it at will by going slowly (forward or reverse) and applying and releasing the brakes. It does not sound like a control arm clunk that happens when the wheels are fully turned to either side. I also changed all the upper control arms about a month ago.
Any thoughts? I know that many here have battled with the front ends of these beasts.
Thanks!
Dave

snoopra
September 7th, 2010, 20:37
Sounds like pass. side CV joint

Elevens
September 7th, 2010, 22:40
Can't say which side, but I would definitely call the CV joints as the culprit. I just replaced both sides on my Allroad. No ripped boots but they were both bad. If your a Do It Your self-er, a company called Raxles provide Axles with superior quality German inner and outer CV Joints. They ship you a pair Immediately, and you return the cores. And that's it.

ben916
September 7th, 2010, 22:59
I just read a DIY with photos (audizine, I will see if I can find it) on the entire axle and it seemed pretty straight forward...
The CV boots seemed like more of a pain in the ass...

Edit: found it...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/376257-Front-axle-assembly-installation...

skribe
September 8th, 2010, 01:35
Do a full-lock turn left then right, no brakes. If clicks, it's CV's. People like the raxles. Not a hard job if you do your homework and can spread a pinch bolt.

hahnmgh63
September 8th, 2010, 01:42
I had good luck with www.raxles.com (http://www.raxles.com) also when I replaced the axles on my daughters old A4 a few years ago. The axles were as good or better than OEM, and they don't use cheap Chinese parts (i.e. substandard grades of steel).

skribe
September 8th, 2010, 04:02
Oh, yeah. You can buy a chinese axle that will fit for $100 bucks on ebay... made out of melted-down tuna cans.

mmaturo
September 8th, 2010, 19:06
As master of front end noises. Its a CV.

Gustaf
September 8th, 2010, 19:16
Thanks for all the responses guys! It's frustrating that the car only has 56K miles and needs CV joints.

skribe
September 8th, 2010, 22:20
4000lb car, 7 years old, 450+ bhp... not a shocker if you ask me.

MaxRS6
September 9th, 2010, 01:17
4000lb car, 7 years old, 450+ bhp... not a shocker if you ask me.

+1- Not a shocker and I've gone through several sets

Gustaf
September 23rd, 2010, 19:29
OK, so I replaced the right side axle last night, jumped in and what did I hear. Yup, the same click that I was trying to get rid of.
I need to dive in and investigate what he heck it could be. UGHH

1 bad 03 rs6
June 22nd, 2011, 15:09
OK, so I replaced the right side axle last night, jumped in and what did I hear. Yup, the same click that I was trying to get rid of.
I need to dive in and investigate what he heck it could be. UGHH

did you ever figure out what this was? I have the same issue.

Aronis
June 22nd, 2011, 22:19
I have been hearing front end clicking since I got the car.

When driving up a slight incline going slow you can hear it. I think it has something to do with the headlight leveling sensor which has a metal spring loaded mount which I think was flexing and clicking.

Sounds just like a kids toy clicker.

ThrillHouse
June 23rd, 2011, 01:39
I have more of a pop than a click. Dealer I got it from swore up and down it was just over tightened swaybar endlink. I haven't had it checked out yet but I believe him. My sound isn't constant and does seem like its pronounced when I pull into the driveway which is a slight incline up the curb while turning in. It does sound like a rubber bushing on bushing sound to me. Either over torqued or under lubed.

Audi-RS6
June 23rd, 2011, 05:10
thats a loose front swaybar noise, front swaybar is bolted to the frame with 4 nuts, thread on bolts is bad, you need to hammer them out and replace with new stronger ones, anything with the similar diameter will work just fine, thats a manufacture defect, had same issue.

Gustaf
June 23rd, 2011, 16:13
I figured out that it is the right side lower control arm ball joint. Haven't replaced it yet but need to soon.