PDA

View Full Version : Warm up and cool down on RS6?

twinsteve
September 6th, 2010, 15:00
What do you all do?

4everRS
September 6th, 2010, 15:26
I usually don't let the rpm's get above 2500 to 3000 rpm until I see some action on the oil temp. Cool down I either drive it easy for a couple mins before home, or let it idle for a couple mins if I drove it hard the whole time. If the oil temp is above 200, I try to drive it nice to get it back down to that point before shutdown.

JSRS6
September 6th, 2010, 16:53
I have the Viper SmartStart installed in mine, so i usually remote start the beast about 10min before i drive her. And if i drive her hard, ill park, shutdown, get out and remote start before i leave her. the system has a default 12min timer on it, so its basically a manual turbo timer as well...

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2010, 16:55
I'm with 4everRS on this. I drive it the same as him when cold and before shutdown if I've driven it hard. I always pop my hood when I get home to let the engine compartment vent better which I think is easier on the hoses and plastic/rubber pieces.

DHall1
September 6th, 2010, 17:28
+1

Popping the hood after is a huge relief to all the components under the hood. The stuff just bakes after every shut down. Even if its not that hot outside.....try this, drive the car normally for 30min and come home. Shut the car off and wait 5 minutes. Go out and pop the hood and feel the heat under there. Esp feel the heat coming up behind the engine along the firewall....that is where the turbos are releasing their heat. The closed hood and insulation just make for a hot oven in there. I always pop the hood and 95% of the time I pull in my A/C shop and pop the hood after driving the car.

I'm with 4everRS on this. I drive it the same as him when cold and before shutdown if I've driven it hard. I always pop my hood when I get home to let the engine compartment vent better which I think is easier on the hoses and plastic/rubber pieces.