PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Issues! Suggestions?

2TURBOV8
September 6th, 2010, 01:16
The car was running great two days ago. I changed tranny fluid and filter with BND Quantum Blue products, and now its having issues. I have a constant loud buzzing noise like when you turn your wheels all the way to one side and hold it there for a while, and the car will barely go in and out of gear. Suggestions? I thinking I should just take it to Audi, and let them just absolutely rape me probably. Anybody have this happen before?

Eric Smith :vhmmm: :noshake:

johnnie27
September 6th, 2010, 01:28
no Eric i had mine done at the place where Audi in (australia send there trannys) cost $465 for full fluid and filter change .(as the dealer told me do not change the fluid its lifetime) i did it anyway. car had only down 25,000 miles but i noticed the difference and was great afterwards , (maybe the fluid you used is not compatable?) hopefull it is something easy for you

DHALL knows lots about these tranny's i'm sure he'll chime in or you can pm him...

DHall1
September 6th, 2010, 01:47
Explain the process you used to change the fluid and filter.

How did you fill the trans with fluid and process you used to determine it was full.

The car was running great two days ago. I changed tranny fluid and filter with BND Quantum Blue products, and now its having issues. I have a constant loud buzzing noise like when you turn your wheels all the way to one side and hold it there for a while, and the car will barely go in and out of gear. Suggestions? I thinking I should just take it to Audi, and let them just absolutely rape me probably. Anybody have this happen before?

Eric Smith :vhmmm: :noshake:

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2010, 05:06
As Dhall1 said, how did you do the fluid? Vagcom? You must fill it back up to the top of the periscope filler hole, re-install the plug then start the car (remove fill plug) and start adding again while monitoring the Transmission temp with Vagcom (After restarting it will take ~ 2 more quarts). You stop filling and re-install the plug when the oil just drips out at a trans temp of 30'~35'C. Re-install the plug when the temp hits 40'C. If you don't have Vagcom try to borrow or purchase it. It is a must for many items and will save you money in the long run and it is good on most all Audi's / VW's built after 2006 and on some earlier ones if you have the right adapters.

ben916
September 6th, 2010, 05:13
As Dhall1 said, how did you do the fluid? Vagcom? You must fill it back up to the top of the periscope filler hole, re-install the plug then start the car (remove fill plug) and start adding again while monitoring the Transmission temp with Vagcom (After restarting it will take ~ 2 more quarts). You stop filling and re-install the plug when the oil just drips out at a trans temp of 30'~35'C. Re-install the plug when the temp hits 40'C. If you don't have Vagcom try to borrow or purchase it. It is a must for many items and will save you money in the long run and it is good on most all Audi's / VW's built after 2006 and on some earlier ones if you have the right adapters.

Ok, is this EVERY time you flush/fill? Cuz, I watched my "tech" do mine and he DEFINITELY didn't do it this way... Now I am concerned...

TozoM8
September 6th, 2010, 05:25
It could be a cheap aftermarket filter your pump is starving for fluid. Here is the correct procedure and use OEM Filtran filter. http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2010, 07:07
As Tozo's article shows (I didn't mention the filter but assumed it was done), you need to monitor the temp upon filling every time your adding fluid or flushing/changing. Don't be confused by Tozo's A8 article as it is the same for our car, that is why he posted it. Almost all ZF automatics are the same whether it is in a A4, A6, A8, or a BMW or Jaguar. Also don't be confused by Audi's lifetime fluid promise, that is bull, ZF, the manufacturer of the tranny recommends a fluid change at 80,000K to 120000K or 8 yrs for severe applications which I would say ours is. That is in as little as 48K miles so I did mine the first time at 40K and again at 60K and will probably do it again at 80K. Maybe overdoing it a little (especially when I want it to fail before my warranty runs out) but I'm a little anal for some mx.

ben916
September 6th, 2010, 07:14
It could be a cheap aftermarket filter your pump is starving for fluid. Here is the correct procedure and use OEM Filtran filter. http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

Very informative and now I will be firing my "mech" and looking for a new one...

2TURBOV8
September 6th, 2010, 13:10
I did the exact procedure that tozo posted. I used BND fluid and filter. It that not right? I don't have the software hahnmgh63 talks about though.

TozoM8
September 6th, 2010, 13:25
Then you have the early filter design. Some early model had a deeper trans pan. The RS6 has a shallow pan so you need to cut off 1/2" of the pickup pipe. The pipe is touching or very close to the bottom of the pan and blocking the flow. The whole valve body and filter is submerged in fluid so don't worry about shortening the pipe. You need to do this as soon as possible. Driving the car with starving trans pump will blow the second gear.

LIRS6
September 6th, 2010, 13:47
I have 87k miles on my car w/o ever having tranny oil/filter changed ... the one time that I discussed it with an SA, he dissuaded me from having it done. Would it be a mistake to consider doing it now, given the milegage? Fyi I have not had any transmission issues save TC at 49k. TIA.

TozoM8
September 6th, 2010, 14:24
So you had the TC replaced at 49K?

DHall1
September 6th, 2010, 16:46
Did you match up the filters before putting the new one in?

IMHO, I would use the Audi trans filter and oil filters on the RS6 and not the BND units. The Mann stuff is also a option.

I did the exact procedure that tozo posted. I used BND fluid and filter. It that not right? I don't have the software hahnmgh63 talks about though.

2TURBOV8
September 6th, 2010, 22:54
I did not compare the two before I put the BND filter in. LIVE and LEARN!! Sounds like it will be an easy fix though. Thanks for the post TOZO!! I will be sure to let Brian at BND know about this, and we should all let people know in the future about this if they want to put in a BND filter with the fluid change. Thanks everyone!! I will let you all know if it fixed it!!

V8weight
September 6th, 2010, 23:09
Interesting. I haven't posted about this as I've not had time to address it with Bryan yet, but his oil filter didn't work with my car either. I ended up going and buying an Audi filter the last time I changed my oil because the BND filter was poorly threaded and wouldn't even thread on. I'll still use his oils and fluids until someone takes them away from me, but I'm apprehensive about his filters. I don't know who he's using for a manufacturer (looked to be WIX?) but they seem to be poorly made.

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2010, 23:33
LIRS6, I would say your fluid was changed at 49K when they did the TC so it would be almost time to do it again but I'll let others chime in here, and by fluid I mean drop the pan, change the filter, clean the magnets, and re-install the pan with a new gasket.

TozoM8
September 7th, 2010, 02:39
I did not compare the two before I put the BND filter in. LIVE and LEARN!! Sounds like it will be an easy fix though. Thanks for the post TOZO!! I will be sure to let Brian at BND know about this, and we should all let people know in the future about this if they want to put in a BND filter with the fluid change. Thanks everyone!! I will let you all know if it fixed it!!
You don't even need to compare the filter pipes just cut off 1/2". If you have the slightest dent on the pan even the shorter OEM filter will be too close to the bottom. BMW and Jaguar uses the same transmission and their filter don't even have a pipe just a big oval hole on the bottom of the filter. The other important thing is to make sure that you have the O-ring on the top of the filter.

LIRS6
September 7th, 2010, 20:03
So you had the TC replaced at 49K?

Yes - TC failed, was replaced at 49k. Now have 87k miles

2TURBOV8
September 8th, 2010, 02:02
Thanks Tozo!! I put the orginal filter back on, and the car is running fine. I talked with Brian at BND, and he wants the filter back so they can see what went wrong with it. He said he wasn't at liberty to say who his manufacturer was, but thats OK. Thanks again!!

TozoM8
September 8th, 2010, 04:21
Glad it worked. Some aftermarket filter is just too tight and restrict the flow.

LIRS6
September 8th, 2010, 19:29
Tozo - can I get your feedback to my earlier q? - Yes, TC was replaced at 49k, now have 87k .. ok to change tranny oil/filter?

TozoM8
September 9th, 2010, 01:59
Tozo - can I get your feedback to my earlier q? - Yes, TC was replaced at 49k, now have 87k .. ok to change tranny oil/filter?
I would change it and use OEM filter. don't forget to cut off 1/2" of the pickup pipe.

LIRS6
September 9th, 2010, 03:33
I would change it and use OEM filter. don't forget to cut off 1/2" of the pickup pipe.

Thanks Tozo - so OEM filter needs to be cut as well? If dealer performs the service, trust they would know this, yes?

4everRS
September 9th, 2010, 03:35
Hehe - he just said trust and dealership in the same sentence. (so did I, I guess)
Thanks Tozo - so OEM filter needs to be cut as well? If dealer performs the service, trust they would know this, yes?

LIRS6
September 9th, 2010, 03:43
Hehe - he just said trust and dealership in the same sentence. (so did I, I guess)

I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones - my dealer experiences of late have been nothing but great; SA's and the tech have been super.

V8weight
September 9th, 2010, 03:48
This has me wondering as well. The last time my filter was changed, it was done by the dealership.

4everRS
September 9th, 2010, 03:54
So we're bragging now huh? jk - good for you. Actually, speaking of dealerships, I was surprised to hear Carousel here in MN will sell me 19x8.5 hartmann s5 wheels for $275 each, spacers included if needed.

Back on topic, I would mention it to the SA and tech to make sure it's done.
I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones - my dealer experiences of late have been nothing but great; SA's and the tech have been super.

TozoM8
September 9th, 2010, 14:47

They will not cut it. They will not modify a part for warranty reasons.

LIRS6
September 9th, 2010, 16:07
They will not cut it. They will not modify a part for warranty reasons.

Sorry to dwell on this topic, but if replaced with Audi filter for RS6, then why would dealer need to modify? I assume that Audi did not modify each filter for each RS6 during production. So why might there be an issue with the replacement filter? Thks.

TozoM8
September 9th, 2010, 17:59
Audi modifyed the pan. The early 5HP24A had a 10mm deeper pan. On some model they had clearance issues and the newer pan fixed that problem. However the filter stayed the same and some realy smart engineer though that 1/8" is enough clearance between the filter and the pan. It is not and if you have a slightest dent on it the filter will be blocked. The whole filter and 3/4 of the valve body is submerged in fluid so there is no risk of shortening the pipe. Like I've said earlier BMW uses the same trans and their filter don't even have any pipe just a big hole on the bottom of the filter.

LIRS6
September 9th, 2010, 20:51
Audi modifyed the pan. The early 5HP24A had a 10mm deeper pan. On some model they had clearance issues and the newer pan fixed that problem. However the filter stayed the same and some realy smart engineer though that 1/8" is enough clearance between the filter and the pan. It is not and if you have a slightest dent on it the filter will be blocked. The whole filter and 3/4 of the valve body is submerged in fluid so there is no risk of shortening the pipe. Like I've said earlier BMW uses the same trans and their filter don't even have any pipe just a big hole on the bottom of the filter.

Thank you Tozo - much appreciated.

JRS-RS6
September 10th, 2010, 13:56
Hi Tozo,

Question than -- why not just use the BMW filter?

marklar182
September 10th, 2010, 14:45
Also can we get some pictures of stock VS modified?