PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the front tire wear problem.

SAF
August 31st, 2010, 18:31
While on the highway over the weekend I happened to have someone in the car with me (so the music wasn't cranking) and I noticed the slightest drone of a fast repeating hum that didn't have anything to do with the road surface. When I got home I pressed my head to the ground and checked the front tire wear. Surprise! (not really) I saw threads on the inside edges. Call it coincidense, but it was one year to the day since I'd had these tires installed.

This time, instead of throwing $1200+ at installing yet another set of PS2s, I'm going to give the Hankooks a try ($688 from TR) and use the saved cash for these (http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-upper-control-arm-kit-adjustablesternc5b5b6b7-chassis-p-211.html). Hopefully the adjustment option will finally lead to some uniform tire wear.

Thoughts or experiences with these or another brand are welcome.

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/images/Stern_Front_Adjustable_UCAs.jpg

ben916
August 31st, 2010, 20:01
I saw these Stern brand adjustable's also and was curious if anyone else had installed or had experience with these?

DHall1
August 31st, 2010, 23:14
1 year and approx how many miles did you get from this set? How many times did you rotate the tires?

I think Pat had over 18,000 miles on his PS2s without wearing them out and his car is dropped which means even more neg camber.

Toe in settings will make a big difference on the fronts of these cars.

While on the highway over the weekend I happened to have someone in the car with me (so the music wasn't cranking) and I noticed the slightest drone of a fast repeating hum that didn't have anything to do with the road surface. When I got home I pressed my head to the ground and checked the front tire wear. Surprise! (not really) I saw threads on the inside edges. Call it coincidense, but it was one year to the day since I'd had these tires installed.

This time, instead of throwing $1200+ at installing yet another set of PS2s, I'm going to give the Hankooks a try ($688 from TR) and use the saved cash for these (http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-upper-control-arm-kit-adjustablesternc5b5b6b7-chassis-p-211.html). Hopefully the adjustment option will finally lead to some uniform tire wear.

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/images/Stern_Front_Adjustable_UCAs.jpg

V8weight
August 31st, 2010, 23:20
1 year and approx how many miles did you get from this set? How many times did you rotate the tires?

I think Pat had over 18,000 miles on his PS2s without wearing them out and his car is dropped which means even more neg camber.

Toe in settings will make a big difference on the fronts of these cars.
+1 Camber doesn't wear tires, toe in does. I run like 1.8* negative camber (stock RS6 is 1.4*) and have always had perfectly even tire wear. I do rotate them every 5k miles though. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the sterns control arms, but that's just my opinion. I am currently running the Hankook Ventus V12's however, and they have been great tires so far. They are a bit louder than the PS2's, but otherwise I've found them to be equal in grip and cornering. BUT, I don't know if it's just my specific set, but they seem to be flat spotting overnight. They shake for the first 3 miles every morning.

snoopra
August 31st, 2010, 23:28
Pat, what about increasing tire psi a few pounds? I run 46psi all-around. Have you checked the psi before driving(tire psi goes up several pounds after warming up)? Do you have N2 available in your area?

V8weight
August 31st, 2010, 23:40
Pat, what about increasing tire psi a few pounds? I run 46psi all-around. Have you checked the psi before driving(tire psi goes up several pounds after warming up)? Do you have N2 available in your area?
I run 40psi cold, the roads here just aren't in good enough shape to run anymore than that. Most tire shops here have N2, but I always turn it down. If their machine malfunctions you end up with a tire full of water. It's happened to me, and this is not a good scene when the temp drops below freezing.

JSRS6
September 1st, 2010, 00:10
Have you checked what the pressure is when at temp?

JSRS6
September 1st, 2010, 00:11
I know my tires are rated max at 50...

Elevens
September 1st, 2010, 00:45

I've got them on mine. Had a similar situation on my A6 2.7T. Used up a lot of tires, because of unattainable factory camber due to lowered stance. I had to think twice before shelling out $600.00 for them, but I figured it was worth it in the long run. Took it to Audi for the 4 wheel alignment and the guy said every thing aligned perfectly without any adjustment to the Links at all. It just so happens they came from the factory set to the correct length. Overall I am very happy with the results, no tire issues at all. And the Quality of construction is Extremely high.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1000812-1.jpg

snoopra
September 1st, 2010, 00:51
Was this pic taken during installation or do you have a loose top mounted bolt?

Elevens
September 1st, 2010, 01:36
Was this pic taken during installation or do you have a loose top mounted bolt?

Man you guys are Extremely observant. Yea Snoop the shot was taken during the install. Obviously not all the nut and bolts are tightened up yet. I didn't even notice that. Here's another shot with what looks like all the bolts tightened up. LOL!!

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1000802-1.jpg

snoopra
September 1st, 2010, 03:43
Just looking out for you, dude. You mentioned the TECH didn't make any adjustments to the streans, I'm thinking, maybe they weren't needed as no adjustment=OEM arm measurement? Can't really see the control arm in the pic, was it adjusted?

Elevens
September 1st, 2010, 04:08
Just looking out for you, dude. You mentioned the TECH didn't make any adjustments to the streans, I'm thinking, maybe they weren't needed as no adjustment=OEM arm measurement? Can't really see the control arm in the pic, was it adjusted?

Don't know what was actually adjusted, but he did mention that he did not have to touch the Sterns adjustable links. I believe they were slightly longer than OEM, since an OEM length probably would have resulted in an unattainable Factory spec Camber. With the 275-30-19 Hankook Evo's at each corner the car Tracks remarkably straight with this setup.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1000786-1.jpg

V8weight
September 1st, 2010, 04:21
Elevens, did you see my earlier post? I'm running the Hankook V12's, 275/30/19 as well. Have you had any problems with these flat spotting after the car has been sitting?

Elevens
September 1st, 2010, 04:44
Elevens, did you see my earlier post? I'm running the Hankook V12's, 275/30/19 as well. Have you had any problems with these flat spotting after the car has been sitting?

V8, Can't say that I have notice any kind of Flat spotting. But then again the car hasn't sat for any longer than at most 2 days, without being driven. But so far I have had no issues and absolutely love them. I run 35 PSI all around. I noticed some of you guys run slightly higher tire pressure. Maybe I will give it a try just to see what it is like. Why do you run higher pressures? Does that not result in a more stiffer ride?

V8weight
September 1st, 2010, 05:04
Hmm, I guess I'll have to bring it back for a re-balance and go from there. I'm wondering if it's possible that the tires spun on the wheels. I just run extra air pressure for the increase in handling (yes, at the expense of ride quality), and a theoretical lower rolling resistance.

SAF
September 1st, 2010, 17:12
Pat, if I remember correctly, my camber is approx. -1°34'

Do you know what toe you have on the front? Mine was increased from the stock setting to approx. 0°10' (each side) back in '07 (two tire installs ago).

V8weight
September 1st, 2010, 17:18
So you are running about 20* total toe. This is within spec, but a bit more than you should have. I would shoot for no more than 10* total toe in. On a side note, your keyboard has a "degree" key? What the hell?

ben916
September 1st, 2010, 17:20
So you are running about 20* total toe. This is within spec, but a bit more than you should have. I would shoot for no more than 10* total toe in. On a side note, your keyboard has a "degree" key? What the hell?

Press ALT and hold it while pressing 0176 and then let go of the Alt key
°

SAF
September 1st, 2010, 17:35
Press ALT and hold it while pressing 0176 and then let go of the Alt key
°

shhhh... :hihi:

Pat, you think that 20° is having a neg affect?? It was at 12° before the last install, when we tweeked it a bit. I got 15k miles this time, which is about 3000 more than last time.

DHall1
September 1st, 2010, 17:48
Can you take pictures of the front tires? how many miles total and how many rotations?

Pat, if I remember correctly, my camber is approx. -1°34'

Do you know what toe you have on the front? Mine was increased from the stock setting to approx. 0°10' (each side) back in '07 (two tire installs ago).

SAF
September 1st, 2010, 17:52
Dave, read added info above. I rotated once during the year.

DHall1
September 1st, 2010, 20:25
When was the last time all the front control arm bushings were changed?

As an example. My PS2 with 15,000 miles still look perfect have have 50% tread with no inside edge wear.

Dave, read added info above. I rotated once during the year.