PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bumper Mod

HeadShot
August 31st, 2010, 03:45
Had enough of that fake mesh on the rear bumper. Launched a two stage attack. 1. Cut the backing out behind the fake stuff and install real mesh in its place with a backing plate rolling up from the spare wheel well to above the top of the mesh install to clean up things behind the bumper.
- It went well but the Mesh install around the exhaust was pretty tricky. The more i looked at it the more i thought i needed more cow bell.
Stage 2. Chop Chop. With the lip spoiler project the bumper will take some time. These pics are the teaser.. Fins will be thicker and more tweeking but i'm really happy with the general effect.
:dance:

HeadShot
August 31st, 2010, 03:49
This is all a mock up - may adjust size etc just a little. When complete it should be a quick drop in part.

snoopra
August 31st, 2010, 23:22
OK, looking good! So you're not going with the OEM style cut-out as in the first post? Looking at the second post, seems like you're going for the "FINNED" defuser look. Keep up the good work!

V8weight
August 31st, 2010, 23:26
I'm not sure that the claw hammer is going to be good for aerodynamics :) Very interesting. I would never have had the presence of mind to visualize this and go this direction with the rear bumper. Can't wait to see the end result.

HeadShot
September 1st, 2010, 01:39
Thanks for the feed back guys. It was a big move - but with alittle imagination you get the picture. I think it will come out just fine. I was going to chop the spare wheel well and shorten that area up but it won't be necessary - hopefully just a drop in mod once the rear its trimmed up as in the pics. Actually no paint required to the bumper which is great.
An interesting look for the RS6.
I plan on keeping her awhile - manual trans when that all gets sorted etc. So changing the body style is a way of getting a new car without the price tag i guess.
Its always fun to have an idea and pull it off.
Your right about that hammer.. and it gets in the way of the banana peel dispenser :)

Aronis
September 1st, 2010, 19:02
You have way too much spare time on your hands!

Did you think about just drilling out each little diamond on the plastic one?

:)

Mike

JSRS6
September 1st, 2010, 19:18
That's exactly what I was thinking Mike.

Spidercat
September 2nd, 2010, 00:05
Looking good, HeadShot! You even have a Headshot baseball cap?

Can't wait to see the finished result. Interested to see how the diffusers turn out. Much better look than just open mesh, IMO. I have the exact same saw & file, btw. Like anyone cares...

Re: cutting out the holes. The original mesh is actually a separate piece from the bumper, no? I kinda remember it being a separate piece when I got ever-so-slightly re-ended a while back (just enought to crack the mesh insert and a bumper mounting backet).