PDA

View Full Version : Wagner intercooler install... thanks EvilGLi

dmross
August 30th, 2010, 17:14
Your guide (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19488-AchTuning-Intercooler-install-DIY) is making this install so much easier. For once I'm working on this car doing something I actually want to do instead of troubleshooting some failed sensor or solenoid. ;)

http://chrono.firex.org/images/audiic1.jpg
http://chrono.firex.org/images/audiic2.jpg

Hopefully finishing up tonight, is G12 really necessary or can I just throw some Prestone 50/50 in there?

JSRS6
August 30th, 2010, 18:58
Please use G12.

gooseleg
August 30th, 2010, 19:18
Please use G12.
Plus one

Lupo911
August 31st, 2010, 09:43
Your guide (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19488-AchTuning-Intercooler-install-DIY) is making this install so much easier. For once I'm working on this car doing something I actually want to do instead of troubleshooting some failed sensor or solenoid. ;)

Instructions are also on the Manufacturer Website...

http://wagner-tuning.de/Montageanleitungen/Montageanleitung-Audi-RS6-und-US.pdf

dmross
August 31st, 2010, 21:11
Hmm, I don't see any mention about chopping up the secondary bracket or the mounting bracket on the passenger side to get it to fit... ;)

Almost finished, hopefully tonight if I ever finish work today. Ugh.

G12 ordered, will top off with distilled water for now.

Lupo911
August 31st, 2010, 21:31
Hmm, I don't see any mention about chopping up the secondary bracket or the mounting bracket on the passenger side to get it .

Because it is Not neccesary...

dmross
August 31st, 2010, 23:57
On my car it is. I had no problems with the drivers side, but on the passenger side it will not fit because the bracket that holds the secondary is hitting the main intercooler mounting bracket (red line).

Either the two mounting pegs are slightly off or my intercooler bracket is slightly bent from the factory, but I am planning on cutting out a piece of it tonight either way. I have already tried bending the main intercooler bracket slightly but it still will not fit. Not a big deal either way.

http://chrono.firex.org/images/chop.JPG

hahnmgh63
September 1st, 2010, 01:11
dmross, my Wagners fit using the OEM mounting points. Getting the intercooler over the two grommets is real tight but it fits and uses the oem bolt at the bottom inside of the intercooler. I haven't heard of any feedback from anyone else having the problem. Like I said, you have to lift the intercooler up and over the top bracket and it slides in then sits down on the two mounting nubs, and it is tight. Try throwing a little silicone grease on the two grommets to help.

V8weight
September 1st, 2010, 01:19
VERY tight. I had a hell of a time getting the intercoolers properly seated in their grommets when I did the install on James' car. I buttered them up with some synthetic grease, but it still took a lot of effort and toying around.

dmross
September 1st, 2010, 01:56
If there is a margin of error for fitment my car must be over the edge slightly. The drivers side was tight but no problem. The passenger side is about 1cm off, and it's probably due to the shape of my stock mounting bracket if anything. Thanks for the pointers, I'll try a few more things before cutting a notch.

V8weight
September 1st, 2010, 02:04
If there is a margin of error for fitment my car must be over the edge slightly. The drivers side was tight but no problem. The passenger side is about 1cm off, and it's probably due to the shape of my stock mounting bracket if anything. Thanks for the pointers, I'll try a few more things before cutting a notch.
Same here. It was the passenger side that I had problem with. Biting my tongue on the rest of my concerns. Good luck with the rest of the install.

dmross
September 1st, 2010, 18:11
I got it to fit finally. I took a vice clamp and slowly tightened it against the corner of the mounting bracket to bend the metal just a little bit. Worked like a charm!

What are the rest of your concerns? Anything I can prepare for?

4everRS
September 2nd, 2010, 01:05
I prefer not cause a rukus, but a concern I have is no-one that has done this install has shown proof through Vag-Com or dyno that these improve the performance of the Beast. I understand that the look of the build quality may be better than stock, but before anyone drives 7 years on them, how do we really know the build quality IS better. I have seen a comment on this board that indicates they noticed increased turbo lag.

Please don't get pissed at me if you've done this install. All I want to know is the real performance improvement from a source who has done it - not a manufacturer claim or stupid graph.

dmross
September 2nd, 2010, 01:26
I don't share that concern at all. These are larger cores and the build quality looks pretty damn good to me! There is no doubt in my mind that they flow better (= less pressure drop) and have greater cooling capacity. I'm not really expecting power gains, I'm expecting the car to run a little more consistently throughout the temp range. For what it's worth I have larger turbos on the car as well. :D

4everRS
September 2nd, 2010, 03:43
Larger turbo's are worth a lot to the discussion. The wagners have a larger capacity for air. Larger turbos flow a larger amount of air. These match each other nicely. I didn't know you had larger turbo's.

My concern is with stock turbos matched with an intercooler with a larger air volume.

DHall1
September 2nd, 2010, 05:12
Larger core does not mean more cooling capacity. If the bore of each plate is say 30% larger then air will rush thru without taking time to cool off. You may have less pressure drop but it may come at the expense of cooling capacity. Dont get me wrong the Wagner looks like a nice unit. It would just be nice if someone would datalog IAT temps and boost curve before and after.

The hot air needs to spend some time in the IC to cool off.

I don't share that concern at all. These are larger cores and the build quality looks pretty damn good to me! There is no doubt in my mind that they flow better (= less pressure drop) and have greater cooling capacity. I'm not really expecting power gains, I'm expecting the car to run a little more consistently throughout the temp range. For what it's worth I have larger turbos on the car as well. :D

LIRS6
September 2nd, 2010, 13:09
Curious what's being captured in the bucket? - When I did my IC replacement (OEM - pass side), I didn't have to disconnect any hoses.

http://chrono.firex.org/images/audiic1.jpg

dmross
September 2nd, 2010, 16:46
Larger core does not mean more cooling capacity. If the bore of each plate is say 30% larger then air will rush thru without taking time to cool off. You may have less pressure drop but it may come at the expense of cooling capacity. Dont get me wrong the Wagner looks like a nice unit. It would just be nice if someone would datalog IAT temps and boost curve before and after.

The hot air needs to spend some time in the IC to cool off.

I agree, on my other car I actually run a "thin" intercooler with a huge frontal surface area. It has a bit higher pressure drop but I run a manual boost controller so the pressure drop acts as a perfect boost taper in higher RPMs!!

With the Wagners, the bore on each plate is thicker and deeper but with less pressure drop the turbos aren't working as hard to meet the same manifold boost pressure which means a cooler charge entering the intercooler to begin with. At the end of the day, it's a balance between what is right for the application. I probably wouldn't have bought this kit if I didn't have the MTM turbos on the car. My experience with intercooling has always been "bigger is better, until it's too big." ;)

I should have done some logging on the stock units. I'll see if I have some old logs of pulls but I don't have my laptop anymore so all my logs are probably gone. I do recall once telling a friend that my logged IAT appeared to follow the same curve as that pic that was floating around. I will definitely hit the dyno soon to see what kind of numbers it's putting down!