PDA

View Full Version : Anyone owned a 993 TT?

Mr. Fru-T Pants
September 19th, 2003, 00:02
I know, I KNOW... wrong forum. But really, who bookmarks the "Off-topic" forum or reads the "High Performance" forum, no offense to the web-designers? So Erik et al, move my thread if you must, but... ;)

My question regards maintenance of the cars. What's it like to upkeep these babies? Input appreciated... Possible pending purchase poses pondering-

Fru-T

Klint
September 19th, 2003, 00:56
Fru-T,

My 'old man' has had a 1995, 993, C4 since new and has covered nearly 60,000miles. We've had it through Porsche's major serivicng to minor bodywork damage and pest infestation on the electronics etc.

I don't have the time right now to put it into context as to the costs associated with ownership but I will get round to it, sometime this weekend. :)

Just bare with me...

:cheers:

GmbHouse
September 19th, 2003, 04:58
I had a '95 993 C4 Cab that I just sold. In 35,000 miles I had no problems with it. BUT, if something does go wrong count on it being expensive to fix. I did the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance just before I sold it and it cost $1300! And nothing was broken. They do eat rear tires pretty readily too.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
September 19th, 2003, 16:01
I expected as much, GmbHouse. Thanks for your input. Klint, I'll look forward to more. The car I was deliberating just sold, but there will always be others. Just has always been a yen of mine to own one, and I enjoy the air-cooled, , Turbo, AWD variety the mostest.

Fru-T

Klint
September 21st, 2003, 12:06
Hi Fru-t,

Servicing on a basis of 10,000 miles and/or one year should be around $1000-1500 at an authorised Porsche Dealership.

Minor body work repairs could range from $300+. We had got a dent just below the left headlight, from a car that rolled back on a juntion. This was around $800 to repair. If something mechanical/electrical etc goes wrong, expect to pay more than enough.

Fuel costs...I'm not too familiar with the cost of a litre of 95 UK (around 91 US) unleaded in the US so, it's awkward to work out. I know our car tends to run around the 18-24MPG region, that's easy driving. Don't forget our gallon is different to the US gallon. :)

Tyres...Again, this depends on your driving habbits. We've had a set of four wheels survive for nearly 11,000miles and we've also had a set last for 7-8,000 miles.

Depreciation. The Turbo models hold their value rather well. I know ours is worth around half of what we purchased it for back in '95, and that's with nearly 60,000miles on the Odo, this is through private trade. That's excellent for when it comes to selling it on.

Fun Factor. Priceless. You only live once. ;)

:cheers:

P.S The only itch I got about the car is the pedals. They will be awkward to use if you have big feet. ;) (I think that only counts for RHD versions)

Mr. Fru-T Pants
September 21st, 2003, 17:43
That's perfect. Just the info I was looking for. Thanks so much.
I'll look into the car at length in the near future. I'm waiting for some investment returns right now, which is why I couldn't pick up the RS6. I'm also trying to sell 2 of my Audi's at present, to make room for a Turbo Quattro Coupe. All in all, I have my hands full with too many vehicles, but it'd be nice to have a 993 in the family if I had room to store it properly. I'm hunting for a new house currently, as well. Time will tell. Life is good, though.
Thanks again for the response. See you online.

Fru-T(Patrick)