PDA

View Full Version : I just love my car...

Mr Balsen
August 28th, 2010, 20:47
http://www.mtm-france.com/partenariats_club/MonRS6R_2.jpg

http://www.mtm-france.com/partenariats_club/MonRS6R_1.jpg

The RS6
August 28th, 2010, 22:05
I love your car too :D

If I come to Paris this year I'll visit MTM France so maybe I'll get to see it in person! :)

DHall1
August 28th, 2010, 22:46
I see what you have added to the hood vents.

C5 RS6 is the best. Car looks awesome.

ben916
August 28th, 2010, 23:54
Headshot hood vents?

DHall1
August 29th, 2010, 00:27
No

He has had those all along.

Look at the leading edge of the hood vent. See something sticking up

Upside down RS600 plate. Does the same thing here just flipped upside down. I bet it works awesome

Headshot hood vents?

ben916
August 29th, 2010, 00:49
I thought he had those MTM angular hood vents as those where "more efficient" until Headshot posted impressive numbers...

Nice catch Dave! I see it but I don't see the outlet closer to the windsheild...

what about the intercooler inlets? there is something silver there that I don't remember seeing and I just checked my left side intercooler inlet - no silver thingy there...

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 10:21
No

He has had those all along.

Look at the leading edge of the hood vent. See something sticking up

Upside down RS600 plate. Does the same thing here just flipped upside down. I bet it works awesome

Yes it does !!!!!

And if you don't believe me you should look closely at the Audi R8 LMS.......

look at the official picture:

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/audi_r8_lms_images_004.jpg

now look at this one:

http://www.automotorblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Audi-R8-LMS-3.jpg

Do you think they designed and built the carbon plate just for beauty purpose ???

Frederic

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 10:23
I thought he had those MTM angular hood vents as those where "more efficient" until Headshot posted impressive numbers...

Nice catch Dave! I see it but I don't see the outlet closer to the windsheild...

what about the intercooler inlets? there is something silver there that I don't remember seeing and I just checked my left side intercooler inlet - no silver thingy there...

The silver line is part of the MTM Oil Cooler Kit.

Frederic

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 10:26
Using wool string, I found out that hot air is not going out from the hood vent despite what I believe. You must create vortex in order to evacuate hot air from the hood vent.

I will post more pictures once the project is completed.

Frederic

Aronis
August 29th, 2010, 14:00
A truly functional hood based heat venting system has to be designed at the wind tunnel. There is a boundary layer against the car which is relatively stationary in any 'flow' system. For example in a pipe the movement of water has varying speed from pipe surface to the middle of the pipe. There is almost no flow at that contact surface, that's why crude can accumulate against the pipe wall even in a high flow system. The same is true for air flow over a car. "Laminar" flow is just that, layers of varying speed of flow of the liquid.

The 'vortex' you are talking about, or eddy, disrupts that boundary layer.

When I saw the various hood vent designs I did not believe they would do much to enhance flow out from the engine compartment at speed, perhaps when the car is stationary they are more effective!

The under the car design (MTM?) specifically had components which break the boundary layer and create turbulence. I suspect it creates a venture effect and draws air OUT from the bottom of the engine compartment (like an air brush draws paint out of the bottle). So hood vents on top and that venture device below may enhance over all flow, but I am still a sceptic.

Those Port Hole things on the side of cars are not likely to do much either.

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 14:11
So hood vents on top and that venture device below may enhance over all flow, but I am still a sceptic.

On my Audi Sport Quattro, vents on top were very very effective. And they were properly designed by Audi Sport.

On my RS6R, I just copied what I saw on the R8 LMS. And I checked after with wool strings. And they were always up. Unlike before the plates, the wool strings were down, on the hood showing no hot air was going when car was driven...

Frederic

DHall1
August 29th, 2010, 15:59
Nice work Frederic. I noticed the deflector right when the pictures loaded. You need something to create that vortex on a high pressure area of the hood. Wool string is the old engineer field trick.

Does anyone remember the old muscle car era? Chevelle SS with the "cowl induction"? The reverse ram air scoop at the base of the windshield? Well there is a low pressure area at the base of your windshield and that is why the cowl induction worked.

The R8 race pics with the deflector are awesome as well.

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 16:31
Nice work Frederic. I noticed the deflector right when the pictures loaded. You need something to create that vortex on a high pressure area of the hood. Wool string is the old engineer field trick.

Yes the wool string is an old engineer trick. But it works very well and cost nothing !!!!

I also talked to the people from Oreca once I was at the Bugatti Track at Le Mans and noticed immediatly the carbon fiber deflector on their R8 LMS. They explained why it has been added and what it resolves. Then I looked at those hood vents that I really like on my car....

Frederic

V8weight
August 29th, 2010, 17:23
Does anyone remember the old muscle car era? Chevelle SS with the "cowl induction"?
I see it everyday when I walk out in the garage :) The cool thing about the cowl induction is that it sounds like a Hoover from hell when the 4 barrels open.

DHall1
August 29th, 2010, 21:18
Funny thing. Back in the day we had to bust our hump to run 11s in those pigs. Now my wife drives an 11 sec car to work every day. Who would have thunk it.

I see it everyday when I walk out in the garage :) The cool thing about the cowl induction is that it sounds like a Hoover from hell when the 4 barrels open.

V8weight
August 29th, 2010, 21:36
A truly functional hood based heat venting system has to be designed at the wind tunnel. There is a boundary layer against the car which is relatively stationary in any 'flow' system. For example in a pipe the movement of water has varying speed from pipe surface to the middle of the pipe. There is almost no flow at that contact surface, that's why crude can accumulate against the pipe wall even in a high flow system. The same is true for air flow over a car. "Laminar" flow is just that, layers of varying speed of flow of the liquid.

The 'vortex' you are talking about, or eddy, disrupts that boundary layer.

When I saw the various hood vent designs I did not believe they would do much to enhance flow out from the engine compartment at speed, perhaps when the car is stationary they are more effective!

The under the car design (MTM?) specifically had components which break the boundary layer and create turbulence. I suspect it creates a venture effect and draws air OUT from the bottom of the engine compartment (like an air brush draws paint out of the bottle). So hood vents on top and that venture device below may enhance over all flow, but I am still a sceptic.

Those Port Hole things on the side of cars are not likely to do much either.
Proven in my highly technical crayon diagram! :)
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/Image2.jpg

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 22:27
V8Weight,

The same works on the top of the hood !

Frederic

JRS-RS6
August 29th, 2010, 23:00
I saved this as Crayon Modification -- is that the correct terminology? Seriousy this thing works great -- blows all the dust ino my garage every time :).

Mr Balsen
August 29th, 2010, 23:08
I saved this as Crayon Modification -- is that the correct terminology? Seriousy this thing works great -- blows all the dust ino my garage every time :).

You can use a Porsche 911 (until 996) for the same purpose. Works great !!!!