PDA

View Full Version : Front shock replacment? anyone have a how to?

dahbo
August 23rd, 2010, 23:13
Hi everyone!

Its been a while, i have been restoring my RS6 and just did the timing belt, themostat and water pump.

I was driving her hard the other day and i hear a squeel and a pop, then the front right sinks down and my tire is rubbing the inner fender hard, i take off the wheel and i see the bracket that holds my Bilstein coilover is bent and has snaped at the weld.

I called them and they are going to rebuild it for me for minnimal $$$ which makes me happy! the problem is I dont know how to remove the assembly, anyone have a diagram or a tutorial on changing the shock?
:vhmmm:
any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Hanna

Aronis
August 23rd, 2010, 23:22
I did research on this a while ago when my DRC first bit the dust (one of the first two in the country to have a failure). The process is not that difficult, there are specific bolts NOT TO TOUCH otherwise the alignment will be changed!

Without the DRC, you don't have to mess with the plumbing!

I can't put my hands on the drawings I found at the moment but it was not any different than any other front strut change over. A lower bolt and the mount at the HAT. The spring can be compressed by 1. Jack the car, 2. jack with separate jack the front wheel, 3. wrap the spring with a good quality tie down strap, 4. let down the wheel jack and the unit stays compressed. That worked great when I change the rear mounts on my 97 M3 (one broke loose so I replaced both). Install in the reverse.
You'll find that the spring does not change length that much anyway 'unsprung.'

Mike

dahbo
August 23rd, 2010, 23:30
Thank you Mike

I already have a Bilstein coil over on the car, i dont think i can compress that? o have a Pss9 kit on the car.

I took out the 3 bolts on top and i thought it would drop, the main problem is that the attaching point on the bottom is bent.

Hanna

Aronis
August 24th, 2010, 03:21
you need to maintain the compression, there are deviced designed for this funciton. New struts (coilovers) come with the spring holder....

Mike

TozoM8
August 24th, 2010, 03:31
The first step is to disconnect the sway bar link. You don't want to fight the other side. Remove the top 3 bolts, lower the top assembly and remove the two nuts that holds the strut to the top bracket. remove the bottom bolt that holds the strut to the lower straight control arm.

hahnmgh63
August 24th, 2010, 04:11
Is that the bottom of the PSS9 that has broken? I wonder if someone tightened it without the suspension settled so there was always a bing on it. The Shocks are fairly easy to do with anyone with a little bit of mechanical skill, just take you time. For any RS6'ers in the Northwest, if your around Washington, I have a lift and your welcome to use it along with my tools and all the help you need from me. And as a bonus, I always have a fresh supply of imported beer from Germany (real stuff brought in, not commercial) as well as a few hundred bottles of wine.

V8weight
August 24th, 2010, 04:18
Is that the bottom of the PSS9 that has broken? I wonder if someone tightened it without the suspension settled so there was always a bing on it. The Shocks are fairly easy to do with anyone with a little bit of mechanical skill, just take you time. For any RS6'ers in the Northwest, if your around Washington, I have a lift and your welcome to use it along with my tools and all the help you need from me. And as a bonus, I always have a fresh supply of imported beer from Germany (real stuff brought in, not commercial) as well as a few hundred bottles of wine.
I'd drive to WA for that. ;)

ben916
August 24th, 2010, 06:44
I'd drive to WA for that. ;)

Me too!!!

JSRS6
August 24th, 2010, 13:51
Apparently I am on the wrong coast...

JSRS6
August 24th, 2010, 14:09
:incar:
But back on topic. How much of a hurry are you in to replace the strut? I might be able to be convinced to come up and help in a few weeks...
:incar::mech:

dahbo
August 24th, 2010, 16:17
Thank you every one!!!!

I found an article on how to do it, it is from an allroad forum, it was well writen and informative. i will post it here and if im violating the rules please erase it.
http://www.audiction.com/audi-maintenance/audi-allroad-front-air-spring-replacement/
Once i knew the basics it took me 10 min to get it out! it was not hard at all. in fact i might change my control arm bushing while in there because it is squeeking.

Hanna