PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Engine: Cost?

jsuppe
August 23rd, 2010, 20:38
I started my car about 1/4 mile down my road yesterday when the car started driving rough and oil leaking everywhere. I had it towed to my local Audi and they said the engine needs to be replaced.

The vehicle had 56k miles on it and I purchased an extended warranty up to 100k miles. I am not sure if they will cover it because the preliminary information that Audi is telling me is that the engine was 'over-revved' and the tone they gave me was accusative.

What should I expect in terms of replacement cost if is not covered? How many hours does it take to replace the engine (warranty company only covers 85/hr but audi charges 125/hr and I pay the difference) ? What is replaced in an engine replacement (does this include the turbos?) and is this something they should have saw coming when I had a 55k major service done to the vehicle about 1k miles ago?

Aronis
August 23rd, 2010, 23:27
Over-revved? How the hell does one do that with an Automatic transmission car???? I can see you downshifting a manual at the wrong speed, but not an Automatic.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread closely!

Mike

ttboost
August 23rd, 2010, 23:40
Maybe it's flashed and the OP never knew it and they scanned it? Does TCU flash raise limiter? Maybe thats what they are basing it on?

V8weight
August 23rd, 2010, 23:46
Maybe it's flashed and the OP never knew it and they scanned it? Does TCU flash raise limiter? Maybe thats what they are basing it on?
No, a tcu chip can raise the shift points, but the rev limiter remains in place. I don't think it's physically possible to over rev this motor. I've seen the rev limiter twice, once when my torque converter failed, and another time when I played with the soft coding in the tcu, and the car no longer shifted to 2nd by default in tip mode. My engine is still there......

ttboost
August 23rd, 2010, 23:51
Hmmmm... somone's fixin to get boned......2nd opinion anyone?

V8weight
August 24th, 2010, 00:16
Hmmmm... somone's fixin to get boned......2nd opinion anyone?
Yep, it's either time to tow it to another shop, or have a long talk with the service advisor.......

ttboost
August 24th, 2010, 00:19
Going for the former...the water there is already tainted...

V8weight
August 24th, 2010, 01:10
Yep, and nobody likes the taint.

ttboost
August 24th, 2010, 01:14
Zakly....

To the OP... good luck GETTING YOUR 2ND OPINION!!!!!!

skribe
August 24th, 2010, 01:48
You "over-revved" a motor that's so highly protected by it's onboard engine and trans controls? What a crock of shit.

Where was the oil coming from? You had the car serviced 1k ago. It is very likely the dealership f-ed something up when they serviced the car and are going into full weasel mode.

Get your car out of there and get a second opinion fast before they tamper with the evidence. Shit, how much to R&R a full RS6 motor with factory parts? $15k? $20k? Shudder.

Good luck, man!

V8weight
August 24th, 2010, 02:05
It's time to climb the tallest tree you can find and shout for AoA. I'd get them involved asap.

ttboost
August 24th, 2010, 02:10
That's probably not even necessary. ijuts probably left an oil line loose and it popped off and melted a vacuum line...could be a $50 fix that they are trying to milk $20k out of... I'd be there tomorrow morning with a flat bed waiting for them to open.

dahbo
August 24th, 2010, 21:30
I would say Lawyer up. First off to deny the coverage they have to prove the damage was caused by you. they legally cannot deny based on assumption and they must prove beyond a resonable doubt that you over reved the motor.

If they deny you file a small claims with your local court. it works, trust me.

You will not need a lawyer for the initial claim, i would fight them tooth and nail, My dealer told me to spend 6k on new main seals because they said when they took off my under car pannels that they were full of oil. Surprised to find out when SSi ( my mechanic shop ) said the crush washer was reused by said dealer when they changed my oil and my car was leaking due to that and that my motor was 100% fine.

dont trust them, fight it.

Hanna

skribe
August 27th, 2010, 00:40
Bump for an update. You there, jsuppe?

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 00:55
Over rev the engine. BS

Where is the oil coming from?

Drive down there and have them show you exactly where the oil is coming from.

Or

Take it to another shop

jsuppe
August 27th, 2010, 01:17
Well the update is that they charged me 1500 to disassemble the engine to find out why the rod flew threw the block. Their determination was that water got into the engine somehow and caused problems. Tomorrow the warranty company is having an adjuster look at the vehicle, and then from there if they don't cover it I guess I'll go through my car insurance and hopefully they cover the damage.

I am not sure if there is a 3rd party agency I can call that can investigate to see if there was wrongdoing by the service center (cover-up, etc).

I have no idea how water could have got into the engine- unless it was present when they serviced the vehicle last or there was water in the fuel lines or tank (tank was replaced recently by the same service center).

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 06:12
Raises hand

I know how water got in there.

Well the update is that they charged me 1500 to disassemble the engine to find out why the rod flew threw the block. Their determination was that water got into the engine somehow and caused problems. Tomorrow the warranty company is having an adjuster look at the vehicle, and then from there if they don't cover it I guess I'll go through my car insurance and hopefully they cover the damage.

I am not sure if there is a 3rd party agency I can call that can investigate to see if there was wrongdoing by the service center (cover-up, etc).

I have no idea how water could have got into the engine- unless it was present when they serviced the vehicle last or there was water in the fuel lines or tank (tank was replaced recently by the same service center).

ttboost
August 27th, 2010, 12:37
I must admit, I have blown up tons of engines, but I've never described catastrophic failure as "running rough". I can't believe it even ran? EverytimeI have chucked a rod, the engine stops all but immediately. Are these engines known for head gasket failures? Maybe OP had a bad tune with lots of detonation (which blows head gaskets) and lets water in?

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 14:33
Raises hand......teacher, teacher I know the answer.

Raises hand

I know how water got in there.

4everRS
August 27th, 2010, 16:07
lol @ Dave. Before this thread gets to 15 pages:), give us your answer. My guess is that the dealership on their test drive after the service, they thought it was an amphibuous vehicle and took it in the Hudson?

But is seriousness, this thread is one of the few that really makes me cringe. Rod through the block? AHHHHH!!!!!. It hurt me just to type that. It would really take a good amount of water in the combustion chamber to make that happen. Makes me think the failure happen pretty quickly.

jsuppe - I wish the very best for you.

Raises hand......teacher, teacher I know the answer.

SteveKen
August 27th, 2010, 16:29
Sorry to hear this.

Let's see. Did you go through any automatic car washes, etc. prior to your problems happening?

I am fairly sure that if it goes to an insurance claim, the car will be totaled.

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 16:49
Whats the old song? Your as cold as ice.....

lol @ Dave. Before this thread gets to 15 pages:), give us your answer. My guess is that the dealership on their test drive after the service, they thought it was an amphibuous vehicle and took it in the Hudson?

But is seriousness, this thread is one of the few that really makes me cringe. Rod through the block? AHHHHH!!!!!. It hurt me just to type that. It would really take a good amount of water in the combustion chamber to make that happen. Makes me think the failure happen pretty quickly.

jsuppe - I wish the very best for you.

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 16:49
I got first dibs on the shell when insurance totals

V8weight
August 27th, 2010, 18:39
Water ingression into the cowl, sucked into the engine via the vacuum brake booster.

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 18:43
Oh dammit.

I was going to let them guess a few more days.

Water ingression into the cowl, sucked into the engine via the vacuum brake booster.

SteveKen
August 27th, 2010, 18:52

Heard of this happening before on an S6. However, isn't the boost for the brakes provided by an electric pump on the RS6?

I got first dibs on the shell when insurance totals

The vultures are circling. I PM'd him about this as well. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to an insurance total loss, but I'm definitely after a bad RS6, whether it's the engine or the transmission.

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 19:51
Yeah,

I hope its not a total loss. You are much closer and if its a total...I hope you get it.

SteveKen
August 27th, 2010, 20:07
It's quite sad to see what a long block costs from Audi or even Shokan costs in comparison to a used RS6.

I'm hoping for the best in jsuppe's case.

Nonetheless, my search continues for a good candidate for a 6 speed conversion.

jsuppe
August 27th, 2010, 22:24
I still don't have a final determination yet- I am going to call my insurance company to have a look at the vehicle as well

I did hear from the dealership that the engine will cost 27k to replace...

ben916
August 27th, 2010, 22:33
I still don't have a final determination yet- I am going to call my insurance company to have a look at the vehicle as well

Have them send some of that stuff they are smokin' over here!!!!

JRS-RS6
August 27th, 2010, 23:26
Maybe there is time to join the suit for water ingress -- I can't remember the cut-off date. Search......

DHall1
August 27th, 2010, 23:36
IMHO

You still dont know where the water came from. Until someone can prove to you that it was outside forces acting on the engine(water sucked in the line) then the extended warranty better well damn cover this.

Period.

Now, I would have my butt over to that dealership every stinking day taking pictures and asking questions. Cover your own butt.

Now, go to the car and inspect the cowl area under the black plastic cover that covers your brake master cylinder. Take cover off and look down the cowl.

IS IT FULL OF CRAP? YES OR NO.

IF ITS FULL OF CRAP THEN THERE IS A CHANCE WATER GOT SUCKED IN THE ENGINE. I HAVE SEEN A S6 OWNER FILE A WATER CLAIM WITH HIS CAR INSURANCE COMPANY AND GET THE ENGINE PAID FOR.

THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF DONT GET LED AROUND BY THE YOU KNOW WHAT.

SteveKen
August 28th, 2010, 00:53
I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same person with the S6, but the one instance I know of ended up in a total loss by his insurance company. The engine replacement estimate was $16k. No insurance company will agree to pay out $16k on an S6 or $27k on an RS6.

I'm sure someone out there can do it for cheaper using used parts but I doubt it could be done in a timely manner. Trying to source all the used parts isn't easy.

If it comes down to this, it's a damn shame.

I'm still at a loss on how water can get sucked into an engine through the plenum area. If it does get in through the brake booster, you'd have to notice a problem with braking beforehand? Also can anyone confirm the electric pump for RS6 brake assist versus the S6 vacuum?

DHall1
August 28th, 2010, 06:18
I dont think calling your insurance company just yet is a good idea.

Aronis
August 29th, 2010, 01:18
Hey, I am in New York also, southern tier.

The Inspector looked at my car for the warranty company. If you see him, ask him what the hell he did with my key! It's still MIA, and the New Key the dealer got has a broken part, key wobbles. Tell that no good bastard, oh sorry this is a family website!

I am very glad to hear they are no longer blaming you for a head gasket leak!

Mike

mmaturo
August 30th, 2010, 02:17
So if the engine blows up for some random reason you can total the car through the car insurance?? Or is that based on the water getting sucked in? It would be good to know as i will be dangerously close to cost vs value with a major failure.

DHall1
August 30th, 2010, 02:24
If the water entry can be termed some act of nature.

Example. You drove thru a large water puddle and water got sucked in the intake. Boom.

Or comp if you drive it in the lake.

Choose your pleasure.

SteveKen
October 21st, 2010, 01:44
FYI, this car sold at insurance auction today.

I'm a little pissed because I lost out on it by a few hundred bucks. Did I ever mention that I've got a spare BCY in the garage?

I'll be anxious to see if it reappears as a salvage rebuildable or someone gets it running.

FYI, any salvage bought out of NYC area has to be returned to NYC area to be inspected before you can obtain a reconstructed title in any other state.

gojrracing
October 31st, 2010, 14:35
Hi ttboost . I agree.