PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing the RS6 - any tips?

cmore
August 22nd, 2010, 13:41
Normally my wife and I autocross our Lotus Elise, but we figured we would mix things up a bit and give a Saturday night drag racing a try. We are not going to make a usual thing out of it, but just something we may try once or twice a year.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for drag racing an RS6. I have the power brake launch down pretty good and after that it is pretty much an easy ride.

Does anyone have any modifications or adjustments to the car that assists with drag racing? I have noticed that I get a slightly faster 0-60 time on my snow tires compared to my summer only tires. While I can launch hard with my 255/40/18s summer tires, I do not get any wheel spin. When I launch with my 235/40/18 snow tires, I get a great launch and I just slightly spin all four tires. I was wondering if I am drag racing with my summer tires if increasing their air pressure to lower the traction levels would be beneficial to a good launch. Probably something I just need to test!

What about high octane fuel (100-110) to keep the engine from retarding the timing from detonation?

I am probably going to spray the intercoolers and radiators with water after each run to cool the engine down.

It is funny that I have been road racing and autocrossing for almost 15 years now, but I have never once tried a drag race.

Thanks,
Chris

V8weight
August 22nd, 2010, 16:50
Mostly, just the usual stuff. Make sure the traction control and AC are off. Make sure to let the car cool off for at least an hour with the hood open when you arrive at the strip, and spray the intercoolers before each run. Inflate the tires to at least 40psi (I've never run more, but maybe 42-44 wouldn't hurt?). As you already know, it's all about the launch with this car, so if you have the technique of flashing the converter down, you should be good. Here's a thread from a trip I made out to the strip last summer when the car was stock. Don't get your hopes too high fro your first time at the strip, this car is not a drag car, and it shows.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19203-Went-to-the-dragstrip-today-for-a-shot-at-redemption?highlight=dragstrip+redemption

chesney
August 22nd, 2010, 19:17
I took mine along to the local strip a month or so ago. Not wanting to stress the 'box too much so didn't try any fancy launches and got 12.7sec @112mph which seemed pretty healthy to me. I stupidly had a full tank, kids pram etc in the back too which must be close to an extra 100kg I didn't need to lug up the strip LOL.

Had traction off. Was quite a hot day and my first run was the best which I assume was as the car was cooler. If you can cool it betwen runs then I'd go for that as the heat soak in the intercoolers will slow it down.

With a full mechanicaly unsymptathetic launch, 1/4 tank and no luggage I prob could have got it lower but I like my gearbox in 1 piece.