PDA

View Full Version : RS6 and radar

secdrvr
September 18th, 2003, 18:28
Hi - First time posting here. I was on a waiting list for an S4 when a RS6 became available. Needless to say I jumped on it and should be taking delivery in December. (Thank you Santa!). Mugello Blue, black interior, carbon fiber, enhanced exhaust. Still can't believe I am soon going top be the owner of one of these amazing cars. I expect one of my first purchases will be a radar detector and I could use some advice/recommendations.

Thanks

srosie
September 18th, 2003, 18:37
Valentine 1

Finnus
September 18th, 2003, 18:38
Secdrvr,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase! Search on "radar", and you'll find a number of old posts. I started two of them, the first on March 26th with the same question you had and a second more recently on a great aftermarket rearview mirror radar/jammer display.

Valentine 1 seems to be the best radar detector, and I've purchased the Lidatek jammer. The Beastpower rearview mirror integration of the two is a "must have" IMHO and I'm expecting delivery any day now.

Finnus :cheers:

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Erik
September 18th, 2003, 19:21
Welcome secdrvr!
:cheers:

Phinnbill
September 18th, 2003, 21:36
RS6 and Radar

Valentine 1 is the best choice for radar, IMO. The newest model provides not only for the three bands used in the US, but you can also activate a fourth band that I believe is used in Europe. It also has laser detection. Once you use a V1 you will not want to use any other radar detector. It is not cheap, but it will save you money in the long/short run assuming you drive smartly and pay attention to what the V1 is telling you.

Valentine also has a program where you can trade in an old unit and with some additional cash (exact amount additional depends on how old your unit is) get a new/latest model unit. I have V1's for each of my cars and would not leave home without one.

Rally
September 18th, 2003, 23:36
Hey Neighbor. Which dealer are you getting it from?
I picked mine (daytona/ebony) up at Barrier last month.

I'd get the Valentine 1. The V1 works really well around here and kept me ticket free since I bought it 2 yrs ago.

john hulbrock
September 19th, 2003, 00:04
NO question- The Valentine One is the best. I mounted mine on the shelf under the REAR window on my M5 and the front and rear antennas on the V1 work perfectly. Iused the remote display and control and the unit is totally invisible( I cover the V1 with a hat). If you need details re my installation I can provide them.
jh

oregonbob
September 19th, 2003, 00:13
John,

I'd love to see photos of the M5 installation. I bet others would as well. Can you post them?

Bob

secdrvr
September 19th, 2003, 16:23
Thanks for all the info folks...what little research I had done so far was leading me to believe that Valentine was the way to go but it's nice to hear from people who actually use the things. To answer your question Rally, I am getting mine through University Audi. Do you know if there are other RS6 owners in the area?

Rally
September 19th, 2003, 17:33
There's only one other RS6 owner in the area that I know of.
He bought the RS6 that Jimmy Barrier brought in for himself.
I have not heard any info about the University RS6 owners except you.

secdrvr
September 19th, 2003, 18:51
Similar kind of circumstance with me. I am getting the RS6 that was ordered for the dealership owner's father. I'm not sure that he actually wanted it, I believe that Audi called the dealership and offered them a car and the dealership snatched it up. Evidently a dealership can't get a car if they don't have a buyer for it so they put it in the owner's dad's name knowing they should have no problem selling it. I just happened to walk into the dealership on the right day, the day after Audi called. Timing is everything.

Benman
September 20th, 2003, 01:18
Valentine 1 and welcome:cheers:

Ben:addict:

TaTaPiRaTa
September 21st, 2003, 13:08
V1 is surely a great product, I can see good opinions everywhere, but does anybody have an idea for redar detector to be not visible by a cop.
I mean remote dectectors with remote control unit, maybe even no contorl unit just voice alarms with hidden on/off volume swich.

In Poland it is forbidden to use radar detectors so I need a solution how to hide it completly in my RS6 AVANT.

Any ideas welecome!

Phinnbill
September 21st, 2003, 21:30
V1 has a remote mounting kit (see their website valentine1.com and select "more info") Beastpower (Beastpower.com) has a mirror that has the capability of displaying the V1 data.
Perhaps others on this board have remote mounted a V1 and will share how they did it.

Also on the M5 board (m5board.com) there are several threads on remote mounting of V1's and Lidar (laser jammer).

When driving in the state of Virginia here in the US (use of radar detectors is against that state's law) I just put my V1 down on the center console or on my lap and it works just fine for radar detection (obviously the V1's laser detection capability wlll be compromised when I do this as it needs line of sight for laser).
Currently the V1 is invisable to the radar detector detectors used by the police in Virginia (and I think Canada also). Not sure about Europe.

B10
September 24th, 2003, 13:22
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
V1 is surely a great product, I can see good opinions everywhere, but does anybody have an idea for redar detector to be not visible by a cop.
I mean remote dectectors with remote control unit, maybe even no contorl unit just voice alarms with hidden on/off volume swich.

In Poland it is forbidden to use radar detectors so I need a solution how to hide it completly in my RS6 AVANT.

Any ideas welecome!

I drive in Poland regularly, and the V1 has saved me on a number of occassions. This solution might not fully meet your criteria of hiding completely, but has for me gone un-detected in Poland for a few years and many, many Polish police encounters:

Mounting: "Vileda" makes a sponge for demisting/cleaning the inside of the windscreen (I think you can still get them at the gas stations). If you take out the foam plastic inside, the V1 fits perfectly. I have the "sponge" lying on the left hand top of the dashboard, attached with double adhesive tape (carpet tape). The back of the sponge is open, so I can see the V1 display. This setup is pretty stealthy, though not completely hidden. I have been stopped several times by Polish police (sometimes you just get the detection reading too late...), and they have never noticed or spotted the V1. It is important to be able to switch if off quickly though. I would recommend placing a power switch somewhere where you can reach it comfortably, rather that having to lean forward to turn the switch on the V1 unit.

As far as I know, the radar guns of the Polish police use only the X-band, so that's all you need to check (you will soon realise that there are lots of automatic door openers using the K band...). Assuming they are measuring cars ahead of you, you will usually get readouts in time. The warning you get once they point at you will be too late for anything except possibly changing lanes and hiding behind a truck/other vehicle if circumstances permit...

got turbos?
September 27th, 2003, 02:51
V1 is an absolute necessity with the RS6. I have had my v1 for 4 years with many many, encounters. No tickets to date. (knock on carbon fiber) After you get to know it, you will become accustomed to it's signals and will very easily be able to understand which are threats. Mike is a real real genius and he stands behind his product. I had my detector go south at about year two, and they fixed it in one day, it helps to live in Cincinnati. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the multi-unit L30 Lidetek for laser protection. Here in Ohio the HWP has an unbelievable arsonal of lasers. Keepin it under 85 is really hard with the beast. :addict: