PDA

View Full Version : anyone want 28mph in 5th - new gearbox map

chesney
August 20th, 2010, 14:39
had my car tuned by dna and they developed a bespoke gearbox map for me and thought others might be interested.

I was fed up with the car sitting in 3rd at 30mph and fluctuating between 3rd and 4th at this speed. Now does 28mph in 5th thanks to dna. Think they deserve a mention

chesney
August 20th, 2010, 14:42
oh i don't work for them just very impressed with the effort they went to. They'll do it on its own or with an engine map. Only just done so i'll report how it goes

chesney
August 20th, 2010, 14:47
oh i don't work for them just very impressed with the effort they went to. They'll do it on its own or with an engine map. Only just done so i'll report how it goes

TozoM8
August 20th, 2010, 14:48
I can't say that I like that idea. Low rpm means low pressure in the trans. Low pressure causes slipping clutches. Just sayin......

skribe
August 20th, 2010, 15:06
A lot of guys do these tunes in the UK for two reasons: Gas is, what, $10 a gallon? And speed cameras are EVERYWHERE. So our UK friends loaf their RS6's along on a lot of roads to save gas and avoid endless tickets.

I think these tunes make no sense in the good old US of A, where the dyno juice flows free. I don't like the idea of lugging my car like that, for the sake of carbon build-up, plugging the cats, etc, etc. Plus I've never had a problem with my car hunting for gears at any speed.

chesney
August 20th, 2010, 15:09
I can't say that I like that idea. Low rpm means low pressure in the trans. Low pressure causes slipping clutches. Just sayin......

I hear what you are saying but know there's another tuner thats done this for years without any issues but they only do it with their engine map. It'll still drop down if under enough load and its mainly so it'll stay in 5th cruising gently through town. Not tried yet but doubt it'll stay in 5th at low rev's going up steep hills and it only changes up early if you use buttons or tip mode. In auto it changes up earlier but not significantly so don't see it causing any great stress on the transmission.

members on rs246 have the other tuners map without any issues and they are regarded as rs6 guru's.

chesney
August 20th, 2010, 15:21
don't like the idea of lugging my car like that, for the sake of carbon build-up, plugging the cats, etc, etc. Plus I've never had a problem with my car hunting for gears at any speed.

I wouldn't labour the car and it gets enough high rev action to keep the carbon build up to a minimum.

My car doesn't hunt but if you sit at 30mph ish it is the on edge of where a standard
Box changes from 3rd to 4th. Its more for this reason i wanted it altered.

And like we all know we didn't buy these cars for mpg! Although i did get 34mpg on the drive down from aberdeen to birmingham.

Hy Octane
August 20th, 2010, 17:02
Or, just drive in tip mode and put it where you want it.

skribe
August 20th, 2010, 17:50
Or, just drive in tip mode and put it where you want it.

TCU won't let you drop into 5th below 40mph. These tunes do make sense for some people... England's car culture is crazy, like LA times 2. So alot of young guys buy every last inch of car they can possibly afford. So you get some guys without a shit ton of disposable income driving something like a used RS6. Gas at $10+ a gallon adds up fast for some guys. A tune that lets them lug around at 30+ mpg is worth the money.

For us yanks, not so much.

ben916
August 20th, 2010, 18:37
Didn't Snoopra get the MTM TCU chip and state that he could lug around at 32-35mph in 5th? Maybe it was P3U... Can't remember EXACTLY, sorry...

snoopra
August 21st, 2010, 07:23
Yeah, tried it once, ran 30ish in 5th. I prefer 165 in 5th though:)

DHall1
August 21st, 2010, 07:24
How do you keep from driving off the island and into the ocean?

Yeah, tried it once, ran 30ish in 5th. I prefer 165 in 5th though:)

chesney
August 21st, 2010, 13:14
England's car culture is crazy,

For us yanks, not so much.

Oi I'm Scottish not English LOL:lovl: Like me calling a yank Canadian:doh:

I like the map cos it is making it smoother driving through town.

ttboost
August 21st, 2010, 14:12
Was it hunting for gears at lower MPH's?

chesney
August 21st, 2010, 17:02
Was it hunting for gears at lower MPH's?

No it didn't do that. Was just annoying sitting around 30mph and it going from 3rd/4th/3rd/4th unless you had it in 4th and stuck cruise on.

Been using the buttons and need to try tip to see if it will change down under load in 5th cos if it doesn't I suppose you could strain the box.

snoopra
August 21st, 2010, 18:53
How do you keep from driving off the island and into the ocean?
Remember, the Beast drives on rails, or is it drives LIKE it's on rails?:vhmmm:

ttboost
August 21st, 2010, 21:03
No it didn't do that. Was just annoying sitting around 30mph and it going from 3rd/4th/3rd/4th unless you had it in 4th and stuck cruise on.

Been using the buttons and need to try tip to see if it will change down under load in 5th cos if it doesn't I suppose you could strain the box.

That is what's called "hunting".

DHall1
August 21st, 2010, 21:05
Ahhh,

For a minute there I thought your middle name was Bond and you had one of these concept Audi's

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/Funny%20pics/audi-calamaro-concept-flying-car.jpg

Remember, the Beast drives on rails, or is it drives LIKE it's on rails?:vhmmm:

DHall1
August 21st, 2010, 21:06
I also got this spy photo of Pat and his new ride. SS Pat and rumor has it he has been seen in the gulf headed your way.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/Funny%20pics/car-boat.jpg

ttboost
August 21st, 2010, 21:09
Are those wheels cookie jar lids?

ben916
August 21st, 2010, 22:27
I also got this spy photo of Pat and his new ride. SS Pat and rumor has it he has been seen in the gulf headed your way.

A little too much camber on the rears...

V8weight
August 22nd, 2010, 01:50
Are those wheels cookie jar lids?

Yes, and in case you were wondering, yes, that is real mahogany. Just put a fresh coat of Pledge on it.

V8weight
August 22nd, 2010, 01:52
Dave, I've just had a spot of brilliance. Convert the AMG to run in the water as well. It's the only place it's safe from spontaneous combustion!

ttboost
August 22nd, 2010, 01:57
I WAS wondering!!! Now I can sleep tonight...

DHall1
August 22nd, 2010, 03:26
Yeah, but the EPA would fine me 10,000 dollars for every ounce of gas I spilled in the gulf.

F'in MB USA. Everyone watch CNN for exploding E55 AMGs. When they start blowing up I will invite you all over to my new office. CEO MB USA.

Dave, I've just had a spot of brilliance. Convert the AMG to run in the water as well. It's the only place it's safe from spontaneous combustion!

ben916
August 22nd, 2010, 03:41
Yeah, but the EPA would fine me 10,000 dollars for every ounce of gas I spilled in the gulf.

F'in MB USA. Everyone watch CNN for exploding E55 AMGs. When they start blowing up I will invite you all over to my new office. CEO MB USA.

Not if your "name" is BP...

V8weight
August 22nd, 2010, 03:53

Only if you let me sit in your big CEO chair and light my cigar with a flaming E55 AMG.

DHall1
August 22nd, 2010, 07:39
I tell ya. I get no respect around here. I should have got 2 RS6s instead. Now I got to hear it that I'm trying to knock off my wife and send her burning down the street.

She is done with the E55 but I want to keep it around long enough for the class action suit when these things start blowing up.

Only if you let me sit in your big CEO chair and light my cigar with a flaming E55 AMG.