PDA

View Full Version : Oh Happy Day, Torque Converter being replaced under warranty!

Aronis
August 16th, 2010, 22:55
Just heard today, the warranty is covering my torque converter replacment!

They hope to have it done by Thursday evening? Sounds fine with me, I'd rather they take their time and be extra careful!

So, let's revisit "what should be changed while the engine is out?" LOL....

I am having the timing belt and four rollers done (due soon anyway). Usually they charge $1200, I am curious to see how much I'll save if they have the engine on a workbench already!

On fence about Waterpump, Thermostat, O2 sensors.

I'll have them advise on engine mounts, etc, etc.

I've not seen any oil leaks but what about the major gaskets???

Who knows!!!!

Just happy they are fixing the TC!:hahahehe:

Mike

V8weight
August 16th, 2010, 23:40
Congrats! REPLACE THE EGT SENSORS! My car is in having then done right now (covered under warranty as well), it's a 25 hour job.
Also, the passenger side valve cover can only be done with the engine out. I would have them test the primary o2 sensors to see how close they are to the end of their life cycle as well.

Aronis
August 17th, 2010, 00:51
Thanks. What is the EGT sensor??

V8weight
August 17th, 2010, 01:09
exhaust gas temperature sensors. There's one in each exhaust manifold, and a recent TSB states that they must be replaced in pairs. Requires and engine pull.

snoopra
August 17th, 2010, 01:41
How about installing an upgraded TC from ACES or TozoM8? Cleaning / upgrading Valve Body by TozoM8?

Aronis
August 17th, 2010, 03:31
I'm staying stock. If something goes I don't want finger pointing. Thought about a level10 TC upgrade. Ship old one there. But staying stock. Thanks for input.

DHall1
August 17th, 2010, 05:40
Thank you, thank you. Where do I send my bill? hehe

Mike, that is great news. Have the techs check the valve cover gaskets very close. I bet they are leaking and the warranty will cover them. (you need to pull engine to change them)

Also now is the time for the timing belt service. Thank you, thank you the bonus came early.

I would say this. This week would be a good week to buy the lottery ticket.

Good for you.

Just heard today, the warranty is covering my torque converter replacment!

They hope to have it done by Thursday evening? Sounds fine with me, I'd rather they take their time and be extra careful!

So, let's revisit "what should be changed while the engine is out?" LOL....

I am having the timing belt and four rollers done (due soon anyway). Usually they charge $1200, I am curious to see how much I'll save if they have the engine on a workbench already!

On fence about Waterpump, Thermostat, O2 sensors.

I'll have them advise on engine mounts, etc, etc.

I've not seen any oil leaks but what about the major gaskets???

Who knows!!!!

Just happy they are fixing the TC!:hahahehe:

Mike

RS6NZ
August 17th, 2010, 08:12
Excellent news! +1 on the other replies. The only other thing I would suggest is that you jump off the fence re the waterpump and thermostat (especially if they haven't been done for a while). Since you are doing the timing belt anyway there would be almost no extra labour involved, and the parts are not expensive, but if they fail on you, you are up for effectively the same labour cost as a timing belt replacement (ie 6 hr min). V cheap insurance IMHO.

Aronis
August 17th, 2010, 12:26
I agree. I had it all priced out at $1500 with waterpump, thermo and timing belt. It should half or less with engine already out.

Jimmy
August 17th, 2010, 14:09
That is good news ! Lucky you. How many miles are on your car?

Hasn't the TC been superseeded with an 'improved' version from Audi?

Hy Octane
August 17th, 2010, 16:23
Had my valve cover gaskets replaced without removing engine..
might be a good time to replace the 02 sensors as well..

skribe
August 17th, 2010, 20:34
Congrats on dodging the TC bullet.

Agree with Pat, I would do EGT sensors as well. They actually can be done with the motor still in the car, but it is a giant PITA and Audi procedure calls for an engine pull, that is what most shops will want to do.

VAG cars in general will kill you with bad sensors as they hit 7 to 10 years of age... do them now while somebody else is footing the bill for the engine pull.

DHall1
August 17th, 2010, 22:25
Book calls for engine pull for pass side VC gasket.

If yours was done in the car. The dealer tech had to bend some lines and twist some things.

Had my valve cover gaskets replaced without removing engine..
might be a good time to replace the 02 sensors as well..

Aronis
August 28th, 2010, 22:12
I picked up my car today. All seems well after engine pull.

Had waterpump, thermostat and complete timing belt service done. $148 for labor $1200 for parts. Saved 4 hours of labor charge.

They lost my key. "new key" is broken

Paid $50. To have a window chip filled but they never did it!!

Oh well!

It's running well.