PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh!!! Nightmare clearbra experience...need help!

'Rado_RS6
August 13th, 2010, 17:35
Sweet lord. I spent a small mint on a full wrap clearbra for my RS6 about 8 months ago since I drive in the mountains a lot. The shop had good reviews, but it came back looking pretty bad, with a some wrinkles in the bumper, several bubbles, peeling back, etc.. I brought it back TWICE to get the rocker panels done since I had paid for that and it was never installed.

The second time I brought it back (first time they just confirmed they had not done it), the owner was there and couldn't believe they had done the job and offered to redo the whole car. I was wary because of the crap job they did the first time, but they called 3M and got advice, made sure it wasn't the material, etc.., so I went ahead with it. They had the car for 4 days and call me yesterday to tell me that paint had peeled off a little paint the front bumper when they pulled the bra. They went on to explain that the bumper had been repainted, which I could tell was true (I'm not the original owner of the car). When I showed up to look at the car, they had peeled off about half of the bumper and several pieces of paint about 6+ inches each had pulled off down to the primer.

The owner then tells me I have to pay for the bumper to be repainted, which has lined up for only $500:doh:. I offered to pay half, but he refused. He's such a nice guy that he's going to eat the labor and material costs of the bra once the bumper is done! I left the place steaming and have been trying to determine what to do next.

What do you suggest? I'm going to call 3M and get their side of the story, and will find out if these guys are BBB registered and perhaps file a complaint. I guess it comes down to how much of fit I want to throw over $500. He claims he isn't liable at all. Does anyone have experience with pulling 3M bras and paint coming off? I'm pretty sure he will be found at fault in small claims, but is it worth the hassle? Any advice would be great. I just want my car back the way it was!:cry:

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 17:52
Which shop was it?

Full wrap? Explain which panels and were they using 1 piece of CB to cover each panel.

Depending on how the material was removed.....it could pull the paint off. There is a right way and wrong way to remove CB.

If the bumper was repainted at some point....THEN there would be a very good chance of peeling upon removal....more likely IF they used the incorrect method to remove.

Again, name of the shop please and who is going to do the paint work?

I would make sure they complete the rest of the repairs in good order. THEN go ahead and get the bumper painted by a good shop.

So clear up what you mean by full wrap and which panels and who did this.

Sweet lord. I spent a small mint on a full wrap clearbra for my RS6 about 8 months ago since I drive in the mountains a lot. The shop had good reviews, but it came back looking pretty bad, with a some wrinkles in the bumper, several bubbles, peeling back, etc.. I brought it back TWICE to get the rocker panels done since I had paid for that and it was never installed.

The second time I brought it back (first time they just confirmed they had not done it), the owner was there and couldn't believe they had done the job and offered to redo the whole car. I was wary because of the crap job they did the first time, but they called 3M and got advice, made sure it wasn't the material, etc.., so I went ahead with it. They had the car for 4 days and call me yesterday to tell me that paint had peeled off a little paint the front bumper when they pulled the bra. They went on to explain that the bumper had been repainted, which I could tell was true (I'm not the original owner of the car). When I showed up to look at the car, they had peeled off about half of the bumper and several pieces of paint about 6+ inches each had pulled off down to the primer.

The owner then tells me I have to pay for the bumper to be repainted, which has lined up for only $500:doh:. I offered to pay half, but he refused. He's such a nice guy that he's going to eat the labor and material costs of the bra once the bumper is done! I left the place steaming and have been trying to determine what to do next.

What do you suggest? I'm going to call 3M and get their side of the story, and will find out if these guys are BBB registered and perhaps file a complaint. I guess it comes down to how much of fit I want to throw over $500. He claims he isn't liable at all. Does anyone have experience with pulling 3M bras and paint coming off? I'm pretty sure he will be found at fault in small claims, but is it worth the hassle? Any advice would be great. I just want my car back the way it was!:cry:

V8weight
August 13th, 2010, 17:55
The removal of the 3M clear bra material will almost always take the paint with it if the panel has been refinished, unless the correct materials and proper precautions were taken during the refinishing process. That being said, this would have been a non issue had the clear bra installer done it right the first time. Sorry to hear about your saga.

'Rado_RS6
August 13th, 2010, 18:01
This is Extreme Auto Works on Colfax in Golden/Denver, CO. They did both A-pillars, rockers, lower door halves, about 16" up the hood, and both front quarters to the fenders, matching the depth of the hood piece. The front bumper was done as one piece, with all the grilles and such cut out. They pulled it up from the left side "with heat" as they said, and quite a bit of paint came off. I was pretty sure the bumper was repainted when I got the car, and I figured a shop who does 8-9 cars a day as they claim would know if it was going to be an issue. Had they told me up front that pulling the bra would cause a risk to the paint, I would have said forget it and just complete the job I paid for.

They want me to take it to Christopher's Dodge World in Golden for the bumper repaint. He is telling me they will give me the "special" rate of $500, which sounds about like half of what I would pay most other places. Should I really be responsible for repainting the bumper? Should I risk getting bad paint from this dodge place? Like V8weight said, they screwed up the bra in the first place and made the call to replace it. I feel like they should at least meet me half way. BTW, don't go here for your bra, and they did an equally bad job on the tint. I have used Ray Reductions in Longmont when I lived in Boulder and they rock, but it would have been a huge pain to get it up there and back. Guess I learned my lesson on that one.

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 18:02
Pat,

My front bumper was resprayed and clear bra installed at 5k. I removed the CB at 24k and reinstalled a full 1 peice replacement. No peeling, no bubbles, no wrinkles. It can be done that is why I want to know the name of the shop in Denver. I know a couple of good ones.

AudiRS4ever
August 13th, 2010, 18:20
My advise to you about spraying your bumper. I had mine done at Winslow BMW in Colorado Springs (I live there so it makes it easy). They showed me 3 different shades of Avus Silver. I couldn't tell the difference between any of them, but the fact was that their painter could. The piant looks absolutely perfect. I then took it to RM Window Tint (also in Colorado Springs) and they did a one-piece bra on the bumper. It looks incredible. I damn near re-mortgaged my house for this, but my whole point is you get what you pay for. This is still a rare car and I don't think I would let a Dodge Body Shop give me a, "special" rate and then paint it quick with orange peel and trash in the paint. And that will be the good news. I'll be shocked if it matches. Just my .02 and I will stay far far away from Extreme Auto Works. Good luck!

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 18:39
Wrong shop. Sorry.

Also, complete IDIOTS if they used heat to remove CB. IDIOTS. Again sorry. I can peel CB off the bumper in 20 minutes. The material only needs to be warm when you start to remove it. No chemicals, no heat gun needed.

IF they screwed up a 16" coverage they are worthless. Get what you can out of them and get the hell out of there.

Take your car to McDonald Audi body shop for paint work and CB installation. You will be amazed.

Again, get what you can out of this shop but give them no more money. Then go to McDonald Audi body shop.

This is Extreme Auto Works on Colfax in Golden/Denver, CO. They did both A-pillars, rockers, lower door halves, about 16" up the hood, and both front quarters to the fenders, matching the depth of the hood piece. The front bumper was done as one piece, with all the grilles and such cut out. They pulled it up from the left side "with heat" as they said, and quite a bit of paint came off. I was pretty sure the bumper was repainted when I got the car, and I figured a shop who does 8-9 cars a day as they claim would know if it was going to be an issue. Had they told me up front that pulling the bra would cause a risk to the paint, I would have said forget it and just complete the job I paid for.

They want me to take it to Christopher's Dodge World in Golden for the bumper repaint. He is telling me they will give me the "special" rate of $500, which sounds about like half of what I would pay most other places. Should I really be responsible for repainting the bumper? Should I risk getting bad paint from this dodge place? Like V8weight said, they screwed up the bra in the first place and made the call to replace it. I feel like they should at least meet me half way. BTW, don't go here for your bra, and they did an equally bad job on the tint. I have used Ray Reductions in Longmont when I lived in Boulder and they rock, but it would have been a huge pain to get it up there and back. Guess I learned my lesson on that one.

'Rado_RS6
August 13th, 2010, 19:55
Thanks for the tip on Mcdonald. I think I'm going to tell them to give me my car back today, with everything but the front redone, get it painted at Mcdonald and have them reinstall the bra and steer everyone I can away from that place. I haven't heard a word from them today, of course. It's a bummer because they had good reviews, were reccomended by Prestige (also worthless), and were NOT cheap. I might need to help them with some REAL feedback on google. Thanks again.

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 20:07
Prestige audi. Biggest dick heads in Denver. Can I say that on the forum?

Thanks for the tip on Mcdonald. I think I'm going to tell them to give me my car back today, with everything but the front redone, get it painted at Mcdonald and have them reinstall the bra and steer everyone I can away from that place. I haven't heard a word from them today, of course. It's a bummer because they had good reviews, were reccomended by Prestige (also worthless), and were NOT cheap. I might need to help them with some REAL feedback on google. Thanks again.

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 20:10
Armed with the repair from Mcdonald Audi body shop. I would then take them to small claims court. As Pat noted above. If it were not for their f up. The cb would not have had to be removed. You have a case

AudiRS4ever
August 13th, 2010, 20:49
Prestige audi. Biggest dick heads in Denver. Can I say that on the forum?

Uh, you just did. And you're still wrong. Phil Long takes that prize. I'll give Prestige Runner-up though.

DHall1
August 13th, 2010, 23:42
Ok,

I never ran into the staff at Phil Long. Are they in Denver or CS?

Its too bad your buddy was run out of McDonald. They had a good sales dept a couple years back. I think the body shop staff is still good.

Uh, you just did. And you're still wrong. Phil Long takes that prize. I'll give Prestige Runner-up though.

AudiRS4ever
August 14th, 2010, 00:43
Phil Long is in CS. And man are they bad. They just have no clue how to sell an Audi, much less what one is. Yeah, it sucks that Christian is gone now, but I'm sure the body shop is still top notch. Winslow BMW is in Colorado Springs and they also have a great body shop. At least, that's been my experience so far. And when my wife bought her Ultimate Yuppie Machine the sales staff was wonderful.

DHall1
August 14th, 2010, 00:57
Ok then

Phil Long Audi / The biggest dick heads in Colorado Springs.
Prestige Audi / The biggest dick heads in Denver.

Time for a beer. You would think owners of the top line mark in any vehicle lineup would be very happy with their local dealers. I guess repeat business is not in Audi of America's best interest.

What the hell do I know....just gimme my O money.

Phil Long is in CS. And man are they bad. They just have no clue how to sell an Audi, much less what one is. Yeah, it sucks that Christian is gone now, but I'm sure the body shop is still top notch. Winslow BMW is in Colorado Springs and they also have a great body shop. At least, that's been my experience so far. And when my wife bought her Ultimate Yuppie Machine the sales staff was wonderful.

snoopra
August 14th, 2010, 01:07
That sucks! Take lots of pics and sue them! Resprayed or not, they're fully liable due to the botched install/removal.

AudiRS4ever
August 14th, 2010, 02:16
You rock Dave. I want some of that O money too.

Ok then

Phil Long Audi / The biggest dick heads in Colorado Springs.
Prestige Audi / The biggest dick heads in Denver.

Time for a beer. You would think owners of the top line mark in any vehicle lineup would be very happy with their local dealers. I guess repeat business is not in Audi of America's best interest.

What the hell do I know....just gimme my O money.

'Rado_RS6
September 2nd, 2010, 18:33
Well, this story does have a happy ending! Long story short, I called Mcdonald for a quote and they suggested I call my insurance company. Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I called up Progressive and they happily covered the damaged bumper, new clearbra, and are going after the shop themselves, all for my $100 comp deductible. I might even get that back if all goes well. My bumper is now fixed and I'm waiting another week for it to cure before I get the bra put back on. So, moral of this story, if you get screwed by a crappy shop for anything on your car, start with your insurance company. It's covered and they do the dirty work.

QuattroRS
September 3rd, 2010, 04:16
Glad it all worked out for ya.

So McDonald bshop was able to paint the bumper and Progressive is paying for the respray and clear bra install on the bumper?

Wow! Awesome

How was the experience with McDonald bshop? paint work?

Well, this story does have a happy ending! Long story short, I called Mcdonald for a quote and they suggested I call my insurance company. Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I called up Progressive and they happily covered the damaged bumper, new clearbra, and are going after the shop themselves, all for my $100 comp deductible. I might even get that back if all goes well. My bumper is now fixed and I'm waiting another week for it to cure before I get the bra put back on. So, moral of this story, if you get screwed by a crappy shop for anything on your car, start with your insurance company. It's covered and they do the dirty work.

Benman
September 3rd, 2010, 23:06
My bumper is now fixed and I'm waiting another week for it to cure before I get the bra put back on.

FYI, you need to wait a full 30 days after fresh paint before getting the clearbra put on. ;)

Just wanted to give you the heads up. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

'Rado_RS6
September 14th, 2010, 18:07
Yup, Progressive paid for a complete bumper cover pull, respray, and new clearbra install on the bumper. All for my $100 comp deductible. Who ever said customer service is dead? I actually ended up going with Profile Autobody on S. Santa Fe, mostly out of convenience. They did a decent job. The shade match wasn't perfect, but mostly unnoticeable, esp with the bra on. The customer service experience there was pretty awesome, though, and Progressive got me in the next morning, done in a day. The place that did the bra, The Tint Stop, on S. Santa Fe near Platinum Autoworks and Prairie Arms, did a great job on the bra. I will likely use them again since they are a lot closer than Longmont. They and the body shop said two weeks for the paint to cure. I ended up waiting a little longer than that. So far, no problems.

Benman
September 14th, 2010, 23:49
They and the body shop said two weeks for the paint to cure. I ended up waiting a little longer than that. So far, no problems. A lot of shops say two weeks for paint to cure, you were smart to wait a little longer. :cheers:

Ben