PDA

View Full Version : Almost 7 years, 130K miles- It is still great fun

MaxRS6
August 7th, 2010, 19:06
As a lot of us have posted- when it is running right- the RS6 is a great machine. I've had it 7 years and seen other friends go through 2 or 3 cars in that time. Even with the cost of maintenance, the car has still been worth the cost/mile for me. To this day- it still surprises many that it is almost 7 years old and runs pretty good as I taught a Lexus ISF yesterday. When I let him catch up, the driver and his girl just looked over with a "WTF???". I still say the most fun is when you surprise some of those 2 wheel machines out there. A 7 year car and I'm still proud to drive it around the streets as it has held its' beauty.

I've had many many parts replaced. However; the vast vast majority were covered with warranty or extended warranty. The after market stuff was obviously my choice. However; looking though my cost/mile- it has been worth every mile. As we all experience, many great conversations have taken place with strangers wanting "to know more" about this unique car.

There have been times during its' extended stay in the service dept- I've had momentary thoughts of shoving it off a cliff. But then- before I'm even off the parking lot of the service dept- I have that crazy grin and the bad thoughts melt away.

Rambling thoughts of a RS6 owner whose car is currently running correctly..:applause:

Elevens
August 7th, 2010, 23:42
I concur MaxRS6. I have just had mine a few months now. But I can't think of anything else I would rather have, New or Old. I know I might have some problems along the way, but what high performance cars doesn't. For a 7 year old car its phenomenal. You would not believe the looks and compliments I get with this car. I actually enjoy going to and from work, just because I have to drive the car. And putting the Non-Res Millteks on, only adds to the shear pleasure of driving It. The only thing I miss from my previous 2.7T is the 6speed. I guess you can't have it all.

RS6NZ
August 8th, 2010, 00:13
I wish I had your persistence guys. Two weeks ago at 95,000 mi (155,000 km) I very reluctantly let mine go after 2 years ownership. My view of my RS6 is that it was an absolutely amazing, stunning, thrilling (add further superlative of your choice) car to drive, but a right bugger to own. After the car had to go into service 4 times in 4 weeks for 4 different issues, I gave up (this is in the context of US$15K in service and repair bills in the last 15 months not including the costs picked up by the mechanical warranty). I wanted to drive my RS6, not feed the service centre. I looked around for a low mileage one but they are few and far between here in NZ.

I followed (sort of) Fonzie's lead and got an E63 AMG instead. Does it give me quite the driving pleasure that the RS6 did? No. Is it a bloody quick and comfy Q Car? Yep.

sallyh
August 9th, 2010, 11:54
Hi

I kind of still miss the V8 RS 6, the sound, the uniqueness of it. Sold it because of the DRC debacle (got it fixed - then sold) and bought the V10. Love the new one and it all seems ok at the moment, but the previous one was quite something. Often wonder what makes someone buy an RS 6 rather than a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, whatever? Personally, I'm kind of a rusted on RS 6 buyer but when I try and analyse it, I've got no reason why. You just either get it or you don't.

Fonzie Audi
August 9th, 2010, 14:46
I missed my RS6 every day i had the E63. They are both fast.. but in different ways.. and it's quite clear that the RS6 is the more exciting car to drive. All whell drive + torque = :)

iconcls
August 9th, 2010, 14:47
I want a new car, but nothing can touch this long in the tooth beast.

303 Aerospace Protectant the sh!t out of all the rubber seals and the damn car is silent, not a squeak or rattle to be heard.

Still love this hunk of steel.

DHall1
August 9th, 2010, 15:44
+1 on the seal treatment.

I may piss and moan from time to time but will never sell my car. I only wish AoA would wake up and bring us the S4 avant and RSTT. I would buy two new cars this year and keep the "old" beast. But what the hell do I know.

Caddy is pumping the crap out of the cts wagon and even putting it up against the A6 avant. Go open last months golf digest. 2 page color ad on the inside cover.

You can't fix stupid.

303 Aerospace Protectant the sh!t out of all the rubber seals and the damn car is silent, not a squeak or rattle to be heard.

skribe
August 10th, 2010, 01:58

Were you in Athan Motors (formerly Renn-Art) recently? Billy there told me somebody came by with a nice RS 6 with 140k on it the other day. I was in there today to ask about coilovers and getting my downpipes hogged out.

skribe
August 10th, 2010, 02:30
I missed my RS6 every day i had the E63. They are both fast.. but in different ways.. and it's quite clear that the RS6 is the more exciting car to drive. All whell drive + torque = :)

I went to Lallapalooza with my brother saturday. He drove, I rode shotgun. (Plus guest-list for bumpin after-party at the Hard Rock)

Anyway my bro drives a 2010 M3 with light mods... he was giving it the spurs on the way down. Eventually, like a dick, I asked him, "Is that all there is?" because while his car will destroy mine on the track, and is on paper pretty similar in acceleration, the way the boost comes on in an RS 6 is qualitatively just something special.

Lately I have the sensation that this is a car that I will miss... so while my plan was to drive this car for a couple years and move on to something newer, I think I will never get rid of her.

iconcls
August 10th, 2010, 13:33
Were you in Athan Motors (formerly Renn-Art) recently? Billy there told me somebody came by with a nice RS 6 with 140k on it the other day. I was in there today to ask about coilovers and getting my downpipes hogged out.

That was me, what a small RS 6 world we live in.

As yourself and others say, I will probably never part with my RS 6. I may add cars, but the RS 6 will remain and suck money like an expensive mistress.

mmaturo
August 12th, 2010, 18:34
Lol, i was there at the same time adding the revo to my TT...still too scared of my transmission to do the tuning to it.

skribe
August 12th, 2010, 23:20
A very clean shop with some nice cars in the bays... I've never had any work done there though. Have either of you guys, besides your ecu flash?

Pretty nice all-hand carwash just south of there on Waukegan, "nature's hand."

mmaturo
August 12th, 2010, 23:34
Nope (speaking for both of us), I think CPT has both our business for any work on the cars. gocpt.com

M5 Eater
August 14th, 2010, 15:11
Yes the "Beast" will break into your piggy bank, yes it eats fuel as fast as BP leaks it into the Gulf. To mention just one of the many things that I love about the beast. I can drive it anywhere, the grocery store, fuel station or just taking a nice cruise and I can guarantee that there will always be someone who drives up next to me and gives me the thumbs up, head nod, and a smile.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
You don't get that in just any car, you get that in the "Beast"! <o:p></o:p>

Aronis
August 14th, 2010, 16:06
I agree with the above. Mine has 102,000 miles and just got a new alternator (not bad for that kind of milage). My TC is probably going to be replaced but waiting on warranty co.

But this has been the best car I have had, DRC being the only real problem.

I have one more warranty extension I can buy for 24, 24000 miles. After that it becomes questionable but will at least be paid off in 13 more months! LOL.

Mike

Aronis
August 16th, 2010, 22:57
TC being replaced under warranty this week then I'll buy another 24,24000 warranty....I'll be fully covered until 128,000 miles!!!!

DHall1
August 17th, 2010, 05:44
Make sure that new policy covers 02 sensors and egt sensors.

TC being replaced under warranty this week then I'll buy another 24,24000 warranty....I'll be fully covered until 128,000 miles!!!!

mmaturo
August 17th, 2010, 05:51
F'me...who the heck is doing the warranty extension like that...crazy (for them). Oh well, missed that boat. Tranny that is only 15 months old is starting to act up. Think my car is really going to become a garage queen till i hand her back to Audi in trade.

skribe
August 17th, 2010, 20:53
Ok. Just a reminder, Mark -- sell me your wheels before you trade her in. :)

V8weight
September 7th, 2010, 02:18
Bumping this for a similar feeling of satisfaction with the car. I think I'm done with it! I can't think of anything else that I need to add (Ok, maybe Phaeton brake ducts). It still got more than it's fair share of looks at our local Cars&Coffee event yesterday, and was just a total pleasure to drive on a 100 mile blast through the country that I took afterwords. I guess with all the hard work over with on the beast, maybe it's time to do some landscaping :) http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009-13.jpg

4everRS
September 7th, 2010, 02:58
Ha - landscaping. Looks like you've done well to me.

Attending the cars and coffee as well, I concur that it got some serious looks. Well, until the Viper venom 1000, and the Carrera GT got there. Anyway, Pat was silly enough to let me take it for a spin with him in the passenger seat. It really felt great. VERY quick. He keeps that thing in crazy good condition. I mean, I feel embarrassed thinking about mine.

ben916
September 7th, 2010, 04:02
Ha - landscaping. Looks like you've done well to me.

Attending the cars and coffee as well, I concur that it got some serious looks. Well, until the Viper venom 1000, and the Carrera GT got there. Anyway, Pat was silly enough to let me take it for a spin with him in the passenger seat. It really felt great. VERY quick. He keeps that thing in crazy good condition. I mean, I feel embarrassed thinking about mine.

landscaping?? $hits gonna die in like 2 months, right???

V8weight
September 7th, 2010, 04:14
landscaping?? $hits gonna die in like 2 months, right???
That's the plan ;)

DHall1
September 7th, 2010, 04:28
I'm more worried about the dust on the garage floor. You know, first its the dust on the garage floor then its short cuts on the proper repair methods. Better get that fixed up before you give up on the wrenching and just go golfing with me every day.

doh

fire suit on.

V8weight
September 7th, 2010, 04:34
I'm more worried about the dust on the garage floor. You know, first its the dust on the garage floor then its short cuts on the proper repair methods. Better get that fixed up before you give up on the wrenching and just go golfing with me every day.

doh

fire suit on.
Hey, I worked hard sweeping the dust and leaves into the garage for photographic effect!

skribe
September 7th, 2010, 06:07
Done? Done? How bout a couple of GT 35 snails and a six speed?

Or at least a bedlinered shift surround. :hahahehe:

JRS-RS6
September 7th, 2010, 06:14
Hey, I worked hard sweeping the dust and leaves into the garage for photographic effect!

I figure your Sportec Cooling mod was what keeps the leaves and dust in the garage. Mayebe you can work on a variable duct and use it to blow the leaves and dust out too.

DHall1
September 7th, 2010, 14:46
Ok,

That is too funny.

MaxRS6
September 7th, 2010, 18:09
...Mayebe you can work on a variable duct and use it to blow the leaves and dust out too.

+2- Now that is thinkin outa da box...Nice!

254TT
September 13th, 2010, 05:41
Proud new owner of an 03 with 85k miles; my first 500 miles have been a blast; and no repairs bills yet! I can't believe I deprived myself of the experience for so long; but in the end ,worth the wait. whatta jetta!

MaxRS6
September 13th, 2010, 12:24
Welcome aboard the

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q240/Miltanius/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg