PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Temperature Range

Aronis
August 4th, 2010, 14:14
Does anyone know the typical running temperature for the RS6 transmission?

I found some 'typical numbers' about 175 F or 80 C, but is there some acceptable range?

I've been logging block 007, the highest temp I have seen is 85 C (82 degree F outside, 20 minute ride down highway).

Second Torque Converter code was thrown today. The Stall RPM range goes as high as 700 or so and the TC clutch is openning and closing properly.

When I apply the break at steady highway speed the TC clutch opens properly.

?Temperature too high causing the code?

Mike

Hy Octane
August 4th, 2010, 17:52
Ever since we were informed that these trannys have only a 125k life expectancy, I am now changing my tranny fluid every 15k instead of every 35k.

Aronis
August 5th, 2010, 00:51
What? I was never told that!

I wish I had asked them to do a transmission service when it was in for the alternator.

My new error code said Intermittent ....

I reviewed the logs and I cannot see any point in the logs which corrosponds to a stuck closed TCC...

I figured I would see a low amperage to the solenoid with a corrosponding Closed TCC statement, but no.

I'll keep logging data. and review.

Mike

Hy Octane
August 5th, 2010, 20:55
Hey Mike.. See this thread again for the story..

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19179-New-Tranny-but-it-still-slips-just-like-the-old-one-did.?highlight=Transmission

Hy Octane
August 6th, 2010, 04:23
Oh. One more thing.. I asked my tech to reset the ECU and the TCU for me. He did so but by using the VAG.. It really didnt make as much of a difference as I had expected, so recently, I had a new battery installed and this requires the power to the computers to be cut. After rebooting, the car now shifts smoother and the slippage is gone.. also, usong the ACESIV fuel catalyst, the timing is staying wayyy advanced after the reset and the response is terriffic. One more thing to try when something isnt working right... reboot the computers..

Aronis
August 7th, 2010, 02:46
Very interesting!! I assume my car power was completely cut when the alternator was changed.

hahnmgh63
August 7th, 2010, 06:22
Yea, the service guide has the mechanics unhook the battery when doing the Alternator to keep that hot wire from dangling into something. Should have been off long enough to reset most everything.

Aronis
August 8th, 2010, 16:51
Funny. Radio presets unchanged. Vagcom recode for alarm chirp and window open and lock doors when rolling unchanged. Are those stored on flash rom?

I do not recall for sure if when I pulled the radio to install ice-link if the presets were lost!

Mike

V8weight
August 8th, 2010, 17:16
Yes, when disconnecting the battery, those all stay. The only thing you lose is the clock, and the one touch windows.

JRS-RS6
August 9th, 2010, 03:29
Yes, when disconnecting the battery, those all stay. The only thing you lose is the clock, and the one touch windows.

Even after two weeks??

TozoM8
August 9th, 2010, 03:42
Yes. You might need the radio code, but pre-set stations stay. Need to reset one touch up window, clock/date and the trip computer restarts too.

skribe
August 10th, 2010, 04:06
Easiest way to reset your ecu is to unhook the positive battery terminal and short the positive LEAD (NOT the battery terminal) to ground for two seconds. The battery tray has bare metal on the mounting bracket within a screwdriver span of your positive lead for convenience.

* Disclaimer: If you don't comprehend the amperage involved, don't be a dipshit and stop your heart by failing to take proper precautions when putting a metal wrench on the positive terminal of a car battery.

300th post. WOOT!