PDA

View Full Version : Best Netbook to run VAG-COM on...

dWiGhT
August 4th, 2010, 00:27
sooo... a friend had a low end netbook that would run (WinFLP) Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (striped down XP) but it would not connect via USB.

I would like a small netbook to use since all my other laptops/computers are Macs (and I don't want to run bootcamp). Which netbooks have people had success with VAG-COM using USB???

dWiGhT

hahnmgh63
August 4th, 2010, 01:16
Any Netbook that has a USB should work. Vagcom is not memory or processor intensive. A faster processor will help a little when doing logs or acceleration runs in the Turbo mode but the cars ECU & the Vagcom cable are more the limiting factors.

dWiGhT
August 4th, 2010, 03:30
Any Netbook that has a USB should work. Vagcom is not memory or processor intensive. A faster processor will help a little when doing logs or acceleration runs in the Turbo mode but the cars ECU & the Vagcom cable are more the limiting factors.

from ross-tech.com faq:
"...1.4 What are the computer requirements?
A computer running Microsoft Windows. A Laptop, Netbook or Tablet computer is best
With a USB interface: ... USB interface work best with Windows XP or newer on a 1 GHz or faster PC,..."

I've tried a newer netbook that had a 900mhz and it would connect some time and not the others but I was never able to get it to scan or reset anything.

I'm looking at a Dell mini 10v (which I can also run MacOS on)... figure it's cheap and easy to store in the car.

dWiGhT

Aronis
August 4th, 2010, 14:17
funny, I just bought an ASUS netbook yesterday for that very reason. I got the XP version, but in the store I was able to install VAGCOm on a Windows 7 machine as well, their website says it will run in vista and Windows 7 as well.

Mine works very well, accept if I try to log more than one block at the same time, it kept disconnecting, not sure why. I tried the other USB port and tried logging just one block and it worked fine. I will try logging two blocks via that second USB port later.

Just about any of the netbooks should work fine.

Mike

Casey
August 5th, 2010, 19:29
I use a Samsung tablet PC, a Q1, and it works fine. I actually like it because its small enough and easy enough to use when you are in the car, and since its touch screen, you dont have to deal with the annoying (imo) touch pads on a Netbook.

dWiGhT
August 5th, 2010, 20:03
I use a Samsung tablet PC, a Q1, and it works fine. I actually like it because its small enough and easy enough to use when you are in the car, and since its touch screen, you dont have to deal with the annoying (imo) touch pads on a Netbook.

That sounds like what I want!!! What model do you have?? The Q1UP (1.33Ghz processor)??? Seems there are a bunch of different models with all kinds of processors.

dWiGhT

skribe
August 6th, 2010, 15:50
I was running it on a little MSI wind, but that tiny trackpad and tiny screen are ANNOYING and claustrophobic to use... gave up and now run it on my macbook pro with windows 7 running in coherence mode through parallels. The best of all worlds...

Why the aversion to running windows on your mac???