PDA

View Full Version : brake pads ceramic discs - long lasting? ceramic disc bolt change- Audi call back?

Skaala
July 30th, 2010, 08:56
Does anyone know what the normal km interval is for changing the brake pads on audi ceramic brakes? The S8 is at 83k km now, and I am just wondering how long they normally last.

I am going with the car to germany soon, and if I need to change them I would like to do it there. 1/3 of the price in Norway. But, I guess they need to order the parts in advance for a brakepad change.....probably dont carry that in stock. If anyone can tell me the minimum measurment for brakepads on '07 S8 I would be very grateful.

The dealer I use in Germany, called me and said there was a call back on all cars with ceramic discs. He said that Audi will change and cover all costs for changing all the bolts that hold on the brake discs. Anyone else changed? typically, the Norwegian dealer had never heard of it.
Is it dangerous to drive with the old bolts still?

thanks
thomas

MaxRS6
July 30th, 2010, 12:58
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21085-Ceramic-Brake-Recall?highlight=

Skaala
July 30th, 2010, 13:25
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21085-Ceramic-Brake-Recall?highlight=

thanks max, didnt find it when I searched.

MaxRS6
July 30th, 2010, 13:46
No prob and wish you well in a resolution- I envy your upcoming trip to Germany.

sallyh
August 2nd, 2010, 12:28
Hi

I've been through this - see above thread reference. Not many of us out there with the ceramic brakes! I've got the V10 RS6 and had the pads replaced once early on under warranty as I had a stone or something stuck in the caliper and horrible noises resulting. Anyway, new pads fixed it. Audi suggested the pads were expensive to replace. Not sure how long they will last under normal usage, but I use mine fairly hard at circuit days every now and then, and given the weight of the car, they are doing ok. The rotors apparently last for ages. Anyway, got to get out and enjoy the car and lucky you going to Germany!

Skaala
August 2nd, 2010, 12:49
just got an email from the dealer I use in Germany.

Service incl. oilservice, pollenfilter, airfilter, spark, change breakfluid = €1044.32,-
Breakpads front = € 640.92,-
breakpads rear = €459.21,-

+VAT 19%

"We must change at the Audi S8 the screw at the keramik-breakdisc in the front and rear . Audi pay for the work and parts. Aktion 46F2"

I haven't checked the pads yet, but I'll have them check now if they need replacing.

He also told me that the S8 is to be serviced at 15.000km interval, and not at 30.000km long-life interval as the norwegian dealer told me.

ben916
August 2nd, 2010, 18:28
He also told me that the S8 is to be serviced at 15.000km interval, and not at 30.000km long-life interval as the norwegian dealer told me.

Opps! sounds like the Norwegian dealer needs to get in contact with the German dealer for some information...