PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Rattle, Right Side Only

topcat_92
July 27th, 2010, 19:35
I've had a rattle in the rear right side for a while, and can't seem to figure it out. Not the DRC clunk, a rattle. DRC's been fixed.

I had EBC's pad put all around, and it minimized the rattle for a week or so, but now it's back.

I had the dealer dig into it and through trial and error, the only way to get the rattle out was to replace the brake bridge and go to stock pads. Not bridge and EBC's, not original bridge and stock pads.

Does this have anything to do with the stock pad springs being re-used with the EBC's? Anyone have anything like this before?

Any insight will be helpful.

V8weight
July 27th, 2010, 23:44
Wait, what are the pad springs you are referring to? The two slides (shaped like a "u" channel)? Or the pad packing shims? You are not supposed to use the OEM shims with the EBC's.

topcat_92
July 28th, 2010, 17:48
Wait, what are the pad springs you are referring to? The two slides (shaped like a "u" channel)? Or the pad packing shims? You are not supposed to use the OEM shims with the EBC's.

I'll check with the mechanical. He mentioned that he used the stock brake "springs" since he didn't see new ones with the pads. Maybe he meant shims. Did he or I miss something, are the pads supposed to come with shims? I don't remember seeing anything but the pads in the boxes. Was I supposed to order shims with the pads too?

Thanks for your help.

hahnmgh63
July 28th, 2010, 18:33
Too bad your not closer, we could throw it on the lift and take a look. The mechanic would have to be pretty stupid to leave off one or both of the clips but maybe one somehow got bent. You do not use the factory backing plates. I am E-mailing you a couple pics of the clips we are talking about, you can see them through the wheels so it is easy to check if they are there.

SIKAudi
July 31st, 2010, 07:32
It's possible the shims are not in or are misaligned...

ben916
August 1st, 2010, 02:10
Too bad your not closer, we could throw it on the lift and take a look. The mechanic would have to be pretty stupid to leave off one or both of the clips but maybe one somehow got bent. You do not use the factory backing plates. I am E-mailing you a couple pics of the clips we are talking about, you can see them through the wheels so it is easy to check if they are there.

Can I get those photos also, please?