PDA

View Full Version : My alternator has checked out.

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 02:35
This is more for reference than anything, but my alternator failed on Thursday evening. The car has 84k miles on the clock, and my research has shown that I was probably running on borrowed time anyways. Most failures have occurred prior to 70k. So the beast is at it's second home at the dealership awaiting a new one (unfortunately there is currently not one in the US). Also for reference, the part number for a new alternator is 077 903 015 R (list price of 846.16) and a rebuilt unit is 077 903 015 RX (list price of 550.00) Thank goodness for warranty, I think the labor for installation is pretty steep.

MaxRS6
July 19th, 2010, 03:59
Ouch- That is actually a part that hasn't been replaced on mine yet...tick tick tick I hear

snoopra
July 19th, 2010, 03:59
DIY should be straight forward for those w/o warranty, right? I saw it for $660 + s/h @ genuinevwaudi and $422 rebuilt @ Dutch site: http://www.autoparts-shop.nl/producten/077903015R
I hope you were close to home when it croaked:)

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 04:01
Ouch- That is actually a part that hasn't been replaced on mine yet...tick tick tick I hear
Haha, well I would suggest you order one from your local Audi dealer, then just never go and pick it up. That way it's sitting on their shelf on standby. I honestly don't know what my affliction is with this car, but I'm driving a nice 2010 A4 premium package, and I loath it. It's been less than 24 hours and I want my car back.

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 04:03
DIY should be straight forward for those w/o warranty, right? I saw it for $660 + s/h @ genuinevwaudi and $422 rebuilt @ Dutch site: http://www.autoparts-shop.nl/producten/077903015R
I hope you were close to home when it croaked:)
Ya, I was just leaving my dad's house and realized that my volt gauge was showing about 10 volts. I made it home, and then trickle charged the battery overnight, and made it 35 miles to the dealer the following day. The battery light came on as I was pulling into the drive.

MaxRS6
July 19th, 2010, 04:05
LOL- I hear you about driving in other autos and having to endure the downtime- However; the silver lining is that it does keep the miles down...;0

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 04:07
LOL- I hear you about driving in other autos and having to endure the downtime- However; the silver lining is that it does keep the miles down...;0
True, oddly I feel kind of liberated when driving a loaner car. I can fill it with crap fuel, park wherever I want, put as many miles on as I wish, and I don't have to maliciously avoid every pothole and crevice on the road. I did however have to give it a wash when I got home to get it up to snuff, the thing was filthy. You should have seen the hopeless look on Rachel's face when she came out and saw me scrubbing the wheels on a loaner car. :)

snoopra
July 19th, 2010, 04:28
Funny, I'm the same with rentals. They go back cleaner than when I got it.

MaxRS6
July 19th, 2010, 11:31
My rental/loaners go back feeling dirty and used when I return them. 6 weeks without a wash on the last one I had the honor of putting around in- I estimate I saved over 16 hours of cleaning labor and spent the time on the links. Sometimes, I've been known to hit some nice muddy back roads and do a little 4 wheeling. It is kind of a challenge sometimes to see how much gunk I can cover a loaner in...;0

CornersWell
July 19th, 2010, 14:52
Well, sadly, I have just gone through this, too, at 53K miles. My alternator failed, stranding me. Had it towed in to Audi. The part is $550, but the installation is 11.0 hours! So, at $125/hour shop rates, that's $1,375 just for labor.

I am having some difficulty with my independent warranty company. I am assured by the agent that this will be worked out, but the dealer so screwed this up, that I'm doing their job for them and getting everything processed. So, for your benefit, V8, make sure EVERYTHING is pre-authorized. The warranty companies are using labor manuals such as Chilton's, All Data and Mitchell's which don't even have the RS6 in them. Thus, it will be necessary for your service advisor (or you) to get the warranty company the proper pages from Audi's RS6 labor manual. Otherwise, the warranty company will likely try to claim your car is an A6 4.2L V8 and not an RS6. And, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the number of hours required to change out the alternator.

For the DIY crowd, replacing the alternator requires removal of the front end of the car. Not an easy or fast job. While you're in there, you might also have a look at the serpentine belt. Mine was showing some wear, so I authorized Audi to replace that while they were in there for the alternator.

Best,

CW

DHall1
July 19th, 2010, 15:34
Look who the cat drug in.

DIY...did someone say DIY?

Here is a pic of the alt that is revealed during the timing belt service.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Thermostatdiy-1.jpg

Well, sadly, I have just gone through this, too, at 53K miles. My alternator failed, stranding me. Had it towed in to Audi. The part is $550, but the installation is 11.0 hours! So, at $125/hour shop rates, that's $1,375 just for labor.

I am having some difficulty with my independent warranty company. I am assured by the agent that this will be worked out, but the dealer so screwed this up, that I'm doing their job for them and getting everything processed. So, for your benefit, V8, make sure EVERYTHING is pre-authorized. The warranty companies are using labor manuals such as Chilton's, All Data and Mitchell's which don't even have the RS6 in them. Thus, it will be necessary for your service advisor (or you) to get the warranty company the proper pages from Audi's RS6 labor manual. Otherwise, the warranty company will likely try to claim your car is an A6 4.2L V8 and not an RS6. And, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the number of hours required to change out the alternator.

For the DIY crowd, replacing the alternator requires removal of the front end of the car. Not an easy or fast job. While you're in there, you might also have a look at the serpentine belt. Mine was showing some wear, so I authorized Audi to replace that while they were in there for the alternator.

Best,

CW

MaxRS6
July 19th, 2010, 16:00
Hopefully mine will last till the next TB service (another 20K to go) and I'll git er done then. Doh- for not getting it done with the recent service work while my motor was out.

skribe
July 19th, 2010, 16:40
I honestly don't know what my affliction is with this car, but I'm driving a nice 2010 A4 premium package, and I loath it. It's been less than 24 hours and I want my car back.

Your affliction is that a 2010 A4 is a gutless shell of a car compared to the beast. I've had the identical experience... A4 loaner feels like a piloting a bayliner capri pulling three fat guys on innertubes compared to the RS6... made me want to take it in to the local tuner for a trial flash for the week I had one. :) They even manage to program the responsiveness out of the DSG, making that no fun either.

And, yeah, I also scrubbed the brake dust off the wheels of mine when I had it.

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 21:11
I heard back from the service writer this afternoon. Zurich is covering the full cost of the repair, with the exception that they will not cover the distilled water mixed with the antifreeze (understandable, but wtf), or the freight for shipping the alternator from Germany. So I have to incur the cost of the shipping of the part? I've never heard of this. In my opinion, this doesn't fall on the shoulders of Zurich, but rather Audi. Do they no longer feel the need to stock parts in the US for the RS6? I work at a body shop, and have a wholesale account for Audi parts, and we've never had to pay freight on a special order part, that is the responsibility of the dealer. Their business is ordering and stocking parts. At any rate, they said they were hoping to have the part by the end of the month.

MaxRS6
July 19th, 2010, 21:45
In my opinion, this doesn't fall on the shoulders of Zurich, but rather Audi. Do they no longer feel the need to stock parts in the US for the RS6?

+1- Absolutely crazy some of the basic parts are not in U.S.- I have been running into this issue more frequently and is worrisome as these machines age.

Aronis
July 19th, 2010, 22:32
does the 'front of the engine' have to come off for this job too!?

I have 100,700 miles...I certainly hope the alternator is ok!

Mike

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 23:06
does the 'front of the engine' have to come off for this job too!?

I have 100,700 miles...I certainly hope the alternator is ok!

Mike
The Audi repair time pays to remove the lock support to replace the alternator. However I remember seeing a post here recently where someone had changed theirs in the garage and had pulled it out the bottom after simply removing the right charge pipe and loosening the oil cooler lines. I'm sure this is the way it will be done at the dealer. Hey, it's how the techs make their money, get paid for xyz, come up with a trick, do the job in half of xyz.

gooseleg
July 19th, 2010, 23:30
This is so odd, while reading this last night I was thinking how lucky I am with 71k and the alt is still showing good voltage; wouldn't you know it this afternoon while returning from a pediatrician visit with my son checking on his injury from a 6 iron to the head........ my battery light came on and the gauge read 9 volts, I made it home dropped him off took out my voltmeter and the battery read 11.57 volts. I started the car the gauge went to 14v and down to 10v, I drove it to Autozone they did a test and it's my alternator. Called Audi they quoted me $1,275 for the job and $140.00 for the tow, they also said it would be 3 days since the battery is coming from NJ. Will Fidelity gold plus cover it, or will I have to fight for it?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

DHall1
July 19th, 2010, 23:45
Clarify your last statement.

You mean alternator. right?

Pats car is DOA till an alternator makes it from Germany.

This is so odd, while reading this last night I was thinking how lucky I am with 71k and the alt is still showing good voltage; wouldn't you know it this afternoon while returning from a pediatrician visit with my son checking on his injury from a 6 iron to the head........ my battery light came on and the gauge read 9 volts, I made it home dropped him off took out my voltmeter and the battery read 11.57 volts. I started the car the gauge went to 14v and down to 10v, I drove it to Autozone they did a test and it's my alternator. Called Audi they quoted me $1,275 for the job and $140.00 for the tow, they also said it would be 3 days since the battery is coming from NJ. Will Fidelity gold plus cover it, or will I have to fight for it?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

gooseleg
July 19th, 2010, 23:50
Sorry I m meant Alternator, try calling Dave @ Audi of Jacksonville @904.565.4000 service option 1

gooseleg
July 19th, 2010, 23:56
I'm at a service station waiting on a tow truck, they claimed I have to pay extra because they were told by Audi of Jax that my car is tricked out (lowered) and it requires special attention..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 23:57
Your Fidelity Gold plan will cover the replacement for sure, but as stated above, good luck getting the part. I was told by my dealer that there wasn't an alternator in stock in the US. Please let me know if you find out otherwise, and if you are coerced into paying the shipping.

CornersWell
July 20th, 2010, 00:21
Sorry, guys, I must have nabbed the last NOS alternator in AoA's inventory. I can't imagine that, but I'm sincerely hoping this AoA nonsense about terminating parts support for the RS6 is either a mistake or miscommunication. Anyone got AoA CEO's name, address and email?

CW

mmaturo
July 20th, 2010, 03:37
Great. 88K alternator is still ok. I did not know they were going on the cars as until now i hadn't seen many posts about it. As i said on Dave's post in 5 years of owning this car I have had my car in more than probably 99% of owners for something wrong. I have almost every time had a delay for parts coming from Germany for the car. I really do not think they ever had a stock pile of parts other than common A6 parts and more common scheduled service and wear items. So i do not feel that it really bugs me, just means i did the right thing by picking up another car to drive daily and plant the RS6 but for weekends or a fun spin.

DHall1
July 20th, 2010, 05:27
CW,

I called my dealer and talked to the parts guy. 10 alternators in NJ. 6 are taken. 4 left.

He told me backorders everywhere for that pn. but 4 are on the bin in NJ.

Pats dealer must be screwing him over because they are "red label" a part from Germany. They are idiots and cant lookup the part correctly or they are cheating Pat out of extra shipping and rental car fees.

The major concern was AoA's response to Pat when he called them. That is the direction that comes from the top. If that is Audi's attitude then kiss me goodbye.

Sorry, guys, I must have nabbed the last NOS alternator in AoA's inventory. I can't imagine that, but I'm sincerely hoping this AoA nonsense about terminating parts support for the RS6 is either a mistake or miscommunication. Anyone got AoA CEO's name, address and email?

CW

snoopra
July 20th, 2010, 05:56
Like Pat said, alternators all across the US are probably "checking out" right now, hence the low stock count. Stealer probably wants to replenish their stock and have you foot the shipping cost. IMHO

DHall1
July 20th, 2010, 08:07
I would pull my car out of that dealer so fast. Parts are sitting on a shelf in NJ ready to ship.

Holy hell would be raised at that dealer. This is just depressing that people can be that stupid or crooked. I dont know which is worse.

Like Pat said, alternators all across the US are probably "checking out" right now, hence the low stock count. Stealer probably wants to replenish their stock and have you foot the shipping cost. IMHO

V8weight
July 20th, 2010, 14:08
After doing the leg work for my dealer, I have an alternator coming in from New Jersey.....
Thanks guys.

DHall1
July 20th, 2010, 14:54
What happened to explain the screw up?

After doing the leg work for my dealer, I have an alternator coming in from New Jersey.....
Thanks guys.

Gustaf
July 20th, 2010, 15:40
FWIW, you can buy a rebuilt Bosch alternator for the RS6 for about $185 from several online parts retailers. I believe that the alternator is the same as the one in an A6 4.2 so you will probably have better luck trying to search that way.

V8weight
July 20th, 2010, 15:43
What happened to explain the screw up?

The service advisor sounded like porky the pig trying to blurt out "that's all folks".

CornersWell
July 20th, 2010, 17:07
Oooh, now THAT's embarrassing for the dealer.

CW

MaxRS6
July 20th, 2010, 17:09
The service advisor sounded like porky the pig trying to blurt out "that's all folks".

Good to hear that you will have it back sooner scaring the children in the area..

DHall1
July 20th, 2010, 19:45
He actually needs to get that car out of lock up because we are swining thru on our vacation.

I want a ride in the beast with the new Viper tune and I want to see the new skins.

So the stupid dealer in MN needs to deal with Pat and myself. Thats scary

Good to hear that you will have it back sooner scaring the children in the area..

V8weight
July 20th, 2010, 22:38
Sounds like I'll have it back by Friday.

snoopra
July 22nd, 2010, 02:21
I also found a Reman. for $204.93 after $123 core charge. http://www.bimmerparts.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?q=2003-AUDI-Rs6--Quattro&yearid=2003%40%402003&makeid=AU%40%40Audi&modelid=RS6-Q-001%40%40RS6+Quattro&catid=F@@Engine+Electrical&subcatid=F4000@@Alternator&mode=PA
(98% of my parts comes from this guy) So there's still hope:) for parts availability.

V8weight
July 22nd, 2010, 02:47
I also found a Reman. for $204.93 after $123 core charge. http://www.bimmerparts.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?q=2003-AUDI-Rs6--Quattro&yearid=2003%40%402003&makeid=AU%40%40Audi&modelid=RS6-Q-001%40%40RS6+Quattro&catid=F@@Engine+Electrical&subcatid=F4000@@Alternator&mode=PA
(98% of my parts comes from this guy) So there's still hope:) for parts availability.
I'll have to bookmark that site, thanks. Yeah, if I wasn't under warranty, this would have been done 2 days ago. That's the tough part about the extended warranty: When I have an issue, I feel like I'm throwing my car to the wolves. I wish that my insurer would just allow me to make repairs and reimburse me for the parts.

CornersWell
July 22nd, 2010, 14:09
Great news, V8. Glad it's working out. Dealers! What a bunch.

I'm STILL trying to get the independent warranty adjustments and payments disbursed. Been waiting on the dealer for 5 business days to fax a few pages. If they're not in a hurry to get paid...

CW

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 00:46
Just picked up the car, and all seems well. I have the car, and my Viper ecu/tcu showed up this afternoon, and my evening has already been spoken for. AARRGGH

MaxRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 00:55
Just picked up the car, and all seems well. I have the car, and my Viper ecu/tcu showed up this afternoon, and my evening has already been spoken for. AARRGGH

Look forward to the comments and congrats on getting it back!

DHall1
July 23rd, 2010, 01:02
What the hell! You got to be kidding....cant you call in sick for the evening and retire to the shop?

MaxRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 01:06
+1- What Dave said- Who's da boss...;0

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 01:53
Done. I wiggled my way out of going to a movie tonight and just finished installing my Viper ecu/tcu and going on the initial test drive. HOLY CRAP! That is all. It's never been this strong. Ever. The turbo's and exhaust have never sounded like this before. Be on the look out for a new thread, but for now, I'm heading back out to keep on driving. :)

snoopra
July 23rd, 2010, 02:04
Pat!!!!, details on the Viper ECU/TCU! What's the procedure for getting a 2nd set (ECU/TCU) to work with the Beast? or did you send your originals?

MaxRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 02:36
Done. I wiggled my way out of going to a movie tonight and just finished installing my Viper ecu/tcu and going on the initial test drive. HOLY CRAP! That is all. It's never been this strong. Ever. The turbo's and exhaust have never sounded like this before. Be on the look out for a new thread, but for now, I'm heading back out to keep on driving. :)

You must have a great mate that puts up with your indulgences- Thank goodness I found one as well and puts up with U-haul anniversary track event trips..;0

Look forward to your continued impressions and some numbers!

DHall1
July 23rd, 2010, 02:53
Nothing like "friends" calling in the middle of dinner out and asking questions.

doh

Its faster than before. Oh boy

We all looked at the dyno numbers before.

JSRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 03:08
So....compared to the 93 octane eurocharged tune...

JSRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 03:12
The anticipation is killing me...so what was the turnaround, price, and whatnot? So as per your previous posts, im assuming you will be taking logs to send back over the pond so he can fine tune it? Then i guess you have to send the ecu back over to be loaded?

4everRS
July 23rd, 2010, 03:15
I think Pat will get an appropriate thread started for this, but now that he's got the tune, all Rich has to do is send a flashloader and update the map.
The anticipation is killing me...so what was the turnaround, price, and whatnot? So as per your previous posts, im assuming you will be taking logs to send back over the pond so he can fine tune it? Then i guess you have to send the ecu back over to be loaded?

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 03:40
Pat!!!!, details on the Viper ECU/TCU! What's the procedure for getting a 2nd set (ECU/TCU) to work with the Beast? or did you send your originals?
Easy, all you have to do is source a second ecu, then go to the dealer and have it installed and recoded to your immobilizer ($120-144), then you can switch back and forth between the two at will. I've been doing it for a while. As for the tcu's, you can switch any tcu into your car at any time without having to recode anything. With the Viper tune, Rich can send you a flashloader and the tune can be loaded into your stock ecu, and then switched back to stock at any time. No need for a second ecu. I chose to retain my stock ecu, and send out my second Eurocharged ecu to be flashed. That's why I didn't opt for the flashloader option, I was worried he'd have trouble writing over the existing tune, and I was right. He ended up soldering in a new E-prom in order to write the ecu.

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 03:42
So....compared to the 93 octane eurocharged tune...
Like I said, seat of the pants impression is that my car has never been this violently fast.....

JSRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 03:59
Like I said, seat of the pants impression is that my car has never been this violently fast.....

Good enough for me...but i still want to see the results. ;-)

DHall1
July 23rd, 2010, 04:34
Remember,

Revo 599 with the flashloader right now.

Deal of the century.

JSRS6
July 23rd, 2010, 04:51
It is a good deal, but like the ratio of weight to hp, the ratio of dollars per hp is also important. I think we will see after Pat gets some numbers that the ratio is a good one :-)

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 04:53
Remember,

Revo 599 with the flashloader right now.

Deal of the century.
No argument there. That is a smokin deal. I like my boutique tunes though. :)

Good enough for me...but i still want to see the results. ;-)
There will be plenty of data in the near future. I hadn't planned on bringing the car back to the dyno, until I actually drove it. Now I want to know myself. The thing was absolutely brutal from 60-120mph. Anyhow, I'm going to start an appropriate thread tomorrow, but for now, it's late, and I don't feel I have enough seat time or data to really describe the tune.

DHall1
July 23rd, 2010, 07:11
Toss me the keys. I will give her alittle seat time.

No argument there. That is a smokin deal. I like my boutique tunes though. :)

There will be plenty of data in the near future. I hadn't planned on bringing the car back to the dyno, until I actually drove it. Now I want to know myself. The thing was absolutely brutal from 60-120mph. Anyhow, I'm going to start an appropriate thread tomorrow, but for now, it's late, and I don't feel I have enough seat time or data to really describe the tune.

snoopra
July 23rd, 2010, 08:03
Easy, all you have to do is source a second ecu, then go to the dealer and have it installed and recoded to your immobilizer ($120-144), then you can switch back and forth between the two at will. I've been doing it for a while. As for the tcu's, you can switch any tcu into your car at any time without having to recode anything. With the Viper tune, Rich can send you a flashloader and the tune can be loaded into your stock ecu, and then switched back to stock at any time. No need for a second ecu. I chose to retain my stock ecu, and send out my second Eurocharged ecu to be flashed. That's why I didn't opt for the flashloader option, I was worried he'd have trouble writing over the existing tune, and I was right. He ended up soldering in a new E-prom in order to write the ecu.
( Went on a little errand, you should be asleep by now;) but I'm too excited to wait 'til AM)
OK, I just spent $950 for a custom Unitronic tune a few months ago. That said, I would like to "save" my Unitronic tune, just because(see previous sentence:)). So I guess I'll need the Flash Loader. My TCU has the MTM chip, can that tune also be saved and swap in the Viper TCU tune via F_Loader?

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 14:39
( Went on a little errand, you should be asleep by now;) but I'm too excited to wait 'til AM)
OK, I just spent $950 for a custom Unitronic tune a few months ago. That said, I would like to "save" my Unitronic tune, just because(see previous sentence:)). So I guess I'll need the Flash Loader. My TCU has the MTM chip, can that tune also be saved and swap in the Viper TCU tune via F_Loader?
No, the tcu cannot be flashed. I believe the Viper tcu is an E-Prom replacement just like the MTM chip. The only way to retain both would be to have a chip socket soldered into your tcu, then you can at least switch e-proms if need be.

cornishmoocher
July 23rd, 2010, 14:42

Told ya!

welcome to "Club Viper". .........

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 15:31
Told ya!

welcome to "Club Viper". .........
Thanks again for helping me to get in contact with Rich, and for your posts that pushed me in this direction. The icing on the cake is that Rich was able to turn off my secondary O2 sensors, so now I can remove those pesky cat's. ;)

cornishmoocher
July 23rd, 2010, 16:37
Thanks again for helping me to get in contact with Rich, and for your posts that pushed me in this direction. The icing on the cake is that Rich was able to turn off my secondary O2 sensors, so now I can remove those pesky cat's. ;)

You wait till you have done that Pat, the spool up is soooo much quicker- you will think that your ass is on fire!

Are you running a full milltek?

My car is stronger now than its ever been, more reliable, smoother and faster & its all down to Rich.

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 19:49
You wait till you have done that Pat, the spool up is soooo much quicker- you will think that your ass is on fire!

Are you running a full milltek?

My car is stronger now than its ever been, more reliable, smoother and faster & its all down to Rich.
Nah, I have an Eisenmann exhaust, and I'll be removing the cat's from my factory downpipes. I realize the benifits of better flowing 3" aftermarket downpipes, but for now, I'm toying with the idea of trying to stick to a budget with the car. ;)

ben916
July 23rd, 2010, 20:01
I'm toying with the idea of trying to stick to a budget with the car. ;)

HA! :lovl::lovl:

:harass: He said budget!!!!

V8weight
July 23rd, 2010, 20:15
HA! :lovl::lovl:

:harass: He said budget!!!!
I couldn't even type that with a straight face. Hey, do you still want that MTM chip? I'll be removing it tonight, I could mail it off tomorrow.

Klint
July 23rd, 2010, 23:44
You guys are right suckers for Rich! Someone not letting us in on something? lol

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 00:19
Now that my Alternator appears to possibly be a problem I looked at the Bentley Manual, and the alternator can be changed from below. That is the exact method listed in the book.

So this repair should not be that bad to have done, or to do!

- Disconnect battery Page 27-4 .

- Loosen fasteners -1-, -2-, -3- and -4- and remove noise insulation panel.

CAUTION!

Before removing ribbed belt, mark direction of rotation. Belt damage will result if not reinstalled in proper direction.

- Swing ribbed belt tensioner in direction of -arrow- to release tension on ribbed belt using a box-head wrench.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27-76

- Position tensioning device by inserting 3204 drift into the alignment bore -arrows-.
- Remove ribbed belt from generator pulley.
- Position oil catch tray under engine in area of oil line.

- Separate oil line -1-.
- Remove bolts -2- and -3- and remove retaining clip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27-77

- Remove charge air cooler hose -arrows-.

- Remove nut and eyelet terminal 30/B+ -2- from generator.
- Disconnect electrical connection -1- for terminal D+.

27-78

- Remove generator mounting bolts -arrows-.
- Remove generator downward and out.

Installing

Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:

- Note running direction of belt as marked.

- Make sure ribbed belt is seated and installed correctly in the following sequence:
1 - Upper idler
2 - Crankshaft
3 - Tensioning roller
4 - Lower idler
5 - Power steering pump
6 - A/C compressor
7 - Generator

27-79

- Move ribbed belt tension in direction of -arrow-
- Remove drift 3204.
- Check and refill engine oil if necessary.
- Reconnect battery Page 27-6 .
- Start engine and check path of belt.

See Caution for switching Telematics battery (off/on), recoding radio and setting power windows Page 27-73 .

Tightening torques

Component

Nm

Generator to engine
M8

M10

Terminal 30/B+ to generator

Oil line

Oil line retainer

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 00:25
the details on the "Swing ribbed belt tensioner in direction of -arrow" and "incert drift pin" are a bit sketchy since the drawing is not very good AND the same direction for the tensioner is shown in both pictures LOL...

Scratch that, I GET IT>..it just swings the Tensioner to loosen the tension, not actually unscrewing anything D'oh...

Mike

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 00:26
It implies not much engine oil is lost while the line is disconnected, but that's GOT to be messy...LOL

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 00:34
One last thing on this altenator.

WTF..

Why does the RS6 use/need a different alternator than the A6,A8,A4 V8 engines? Surely the A8 loaded with all the electronic goodies requires the same alternator???

I find this very strange!!!!

Does the High Torque of the RS6 engine somehow spin the alternator any faster??? NO.
Does the High Torque of the RS6 engine somehow change rev speed that much faster than the other engines that it somehow applies a faster Rate of INCREASE Spin speed to the Alternator?
Does the RS6 engine use a different A/C compressor? A different Power Steering Pump???

What????

I bet the same alternator from any run of the mill Audi V8 would work just fine in the RS6...

Mike

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 01:06
checking online suppliers.

The alternator for the 2003 S6 and the 2003 RS6 is listed as the same part number, 150 amp unit.
The one for the A8 and S8 in 2003 is also 150 amp, but a different part number.

WTF....they could not find a way to use the same friggen part on all those cars?? D'oh..

4everRS
July 24th, 2010, 03:22
Mike, I think due to space restrictions, intercooler piping, ect, they likely had to design the mounting differently for the and RS6. This is really just a guess after seeing the front of the car ripped off.

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 13:39
No, it's 150 amps for the RS6, S6, A8 and S8 in that model year. S6 and RS6 shared the same part, A8 and S8 shared theirs.

I don't thing the actual size is all that different, other than I would think the higher amperage units would be BIGGER than the one in the regular A6.

Since the battery is no dead, I am guessing the alternator is putting out some power, enough to run the engine. From what was said above it sounds like the car would stop dead if the alternator was dead completely?

I'll decide Monday am what I am going to do. I may skip the trip to Cicero and do the Alternator myself (eat the cost to avoid the hastle of the back and forth and the possible cost of a week or more with a rental car).

I found re-furbished units online ($250 with 125 core charge).

or an small honda generator in the trunk LOL..
Mike

4everRS
July 24th, 2010, 13:47
hehe - a generator should give the car a little extra spark.

As far as the generators go, I guess I mean how they bolt up to the motor.

JRS-RS6
July 24th, 2010, 15:02

The first RS6 Hybrid. Best of luck with it.

DHall1
July 24th, 2010, 15:23
Dont you have an extended warranty on the car?

Just charge the battery over the weekend and takeoff with the generator packed for emergency. If its hwy you may be ok.

No, it's 150 amps for the RS6, S6, A8 and S8 in that model year. S6 and RS6 shared the same part, A8 and S8 shared theirs.

I don't thing the actual size is all that different, other than I would think the higher amperage units would be BIGGER than the one in the regular A6.

Since the battery is no dead, I am guessing the alternator is putting out some power, enough to run the engine. From what was said above it sounds like the car would stop dead if the alternator was dead completely?

I'll decide Monday am what I am going to do. I may skip the trip to Cicero and do the Alternator myself (eat the cost to avoid the hastle of the back and forth and the possible cost of a week or more with a rental car).

Mike

V8weight
July 24th, 2010, 16:39

Mike
Just for reference, I trickle charged my battery overnight before heading up to drop my car off at the dealer. They are 35 miles away, and my battery light came on as I pulled into the service drive. That's a fully charged battery with no input from the alternator.

JRS-RS6
July 24th, 2010, 16:41
The Honda Generator is sounding better all the time. An hour may be stretching it.

snoopra
July 24th, 2010, 17:41
Another option to think about, since our beast uses lots more power than regular cars (power's being used even when she's locked up & OFF) we could consider getting an uprated/H.O. alternator (200amp) to help out. In my younger days I installed a few competition stereos in cars (for fun, no charge) and a H/O alternator and capacitors were a must. Hummmm...capacitors..

Aronis
July 24th, 2010, 19:34
I think the alternator is working but not at full level, so I think I would not be running on battery only! Hard to say. It's risky...

"takeoff with the generator packed for emergency" unfortunately my Honda Generator is a 3500 watt unit which would not fit in the trunk!

But a smaller one LOL...my booster charger...some duct tape...bang I'm only my way...only thing missing would be the Flux Capacitor...

JRS-RS6
July 24th, 2010, 21:48
http://www.supercapacitors.org/

ben916
July 25th, 2010, 07:52
I couldn't even type that with a straight face. Hey, do you still want that MTM chip? I'll be removing it tonight, I could mail it off tomorrow.

Yes please, send PM for details!

DHall1
December 17th, 2010, 05:16
Viper tuning FTW

You guys are right suckers for Rich! Someone not letting us in on something? lol