PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Service

Aronis
July 17th, 2010, 21:05
Hi,

I was going through my records and the last timing belt service parts and labor was $1200 at 75,000 miles.

Does this number sound about right?

My car has 100,600 miles and I'm taking it in for service soon and also buying my last 2 year/24,000 mile extension warranty and figure I probably should get the timing belt done as well.

I think my DRC is going as well! I have 1,000 miles left on that 12/12,000 warranty. :lovl:

Mike

DHall1
July 17th, 2010, 21:30
Timing belt. 1200 sounds cheap. Now if they only replaced the belt with labor that is another story. IMHO you need to replace all 4 rollers and the waterpump at your mileage if the waterpump was not changed at 75. Also, you are fine to 115k IF all 4 rollers were replaced at 75k.

Lots of "what ifs" in the above situation. Recheck your 75k invoice to see which pulleys/waterpump were serviced.

Make sure the thermostat gets changed each and every time they open the front of the motor.

Can you look up the 75k invoice and get back with the answer?

Dave

Hi,

I was going through my records and the last timing belt service parts and labor was $1200 at 75,000 miles.

Does this number sound about right?

My car has 100,600 miles and I'm taking it in for service soon and also buying my last 2 year/24,000 mile extension warranty and figure I probably should get the timing belt done as well.

I think my DRC is going as well! I have 1,000 miles left on that 12/12,000 warranty. :lovl:

Mike

Aronis
July 17th, 2010, 23:08
Rollers were changed. Will check count!

Water pump was checked. No leak, spins freely.

I'm interested in hastle free use of the car for 16 more months. Then the car will be paid off.

Then when something bad happens it's time for a Honda civic.

Thanks healthcare bill.

Mike

DHall1
July 18th, 2010, 01:02
Yeah, dont get me started on HCR. AZ Medicaid reimbursement cuts thru the wazoo then AZ passes an added 1% sales tax last month (to keep from further cuts)...now they want to cut again just one month later.

1 month later. Thanks for the extra 1 Billion in sales tax revenue and we are going to cut reimbursement anyways.

Jack A$$ the movie comes to mind. But we are the Jack A$$es for letting them.

Now, to the RS6. Get that invoice and we can talk about which rollers need done this time. I have an idea.

Rollers were changed. Will check count!

Water pump was checked. No leak, spins freely.

I'm interested in hastle free use of the car for 16 more months. Then the car will be paid off.

Then when something bad happens it's time for a Honda civic.

Thanks healthcare bill.

Mike

Aronis
July 18th, 2010, 16:37
Two rollers were replaced.

Estimate was $1300. Actual price was $1295.

So I have a firm track record for the cost of this service.

Mike

DHall1
July 18th, 2010, 20:06
Mike,

Which two rollers? Do you have a pn?

I think you should push the timing belt job all the way out to 40k miles since the last service. This puts you around 115k before the need comes up.

Here is the reason I say this. You are going to have to replace everything this time. 2 rollers, 2 idlers, waterpump and thermostat.

Two rollers were replaced.

Estimate was $1300. Actual price was $1295.

So I have a firm track record for the cost of this service.

Mike

Aronis
July 18th, 2010, 23:15
I'll check part list.

DHall1
July 19th, 2010, 05:10
Mike,

Here is a pic of the two rollers and two idlers. When you get those pn's we can make some sense of all this.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Thermostatdiy-1.jpg

snoopra
July 19th, 2010, 05:23
My engine looks nothing like yours:) (cleanliness wise) Don't forget to email me your secret!:bow:

Aronis
July 19th, 2010, 16:55
At 35,000 mile service
Tooth Belt
Roller 077-109-244-C
Roller 077-109-244-E
Lever 077-109-485-E
Belt Damper
Repair 4B0-998-099-B
Kit
6N0-201-511-A

Service at 75,000
Tooth Belt
Roller 077-109-244-E
Lever 077-109-485-F
Roller 077-109-244-C

So there are some part differences.

I do no know what the Damper "Repair" and "Kit" part numbers are for.

Thanks,

Mike

PS, I assume the job requires removing the radiator as in your picture! A lot of work LOL..

DHall1
July 19th, 2010, 18:34
Mike,

Here is the deal. At 35k and 75k all the rollers and lever were changed on your car. Looking at the picture below, the two smaller rollers were changed each time. The "lever" is the tensioner idler pulley...that is the larger idler on the pass side next to the crank pulley. The other roller is the larger idler on the driver side right next to the crank pulley.

IF "I" were you..."I" would push the timing belt job up to and just past 40,000 miles from your last service. So look at your miles and count up 40k. I have seen cars go 45 and even 50k without any problems.

Now, here is the reason I say this. Think of it as a hedge. What are the chances of a thermostat or a waterpump going bad in the next 8 months? I say pretty good. esp if your waterpump has never been changed. IF one of those items goes bad....guess what? The labor is paid by your ext warranty to dig in there and change the component. Guess what? That is when you throw on a new timing belt and pay for the parts only because part of the job to change the thermostat or waterpump is taking off the timing belt.

bing, bang boom

Mike,

Here is a pic of the two rollers and two idlers. When you get those pn's we can make some sense of all this.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/03RSTT/RS6pics/Thermostatdiy-1.jpg

DHall1
July 19th, 2010, 18:44
Mike,

Yes, the picture above is the process to service the timing belt. Weekend job for any rookie with basic skills. Radiator does not come out...the front rad support just comes forward and tilts like it shows in the picture.

Gravy

At 35,000 mile service
Tooth Belt
Roller 077-109-244-C
Roller 077-109-244-E
Lever 077-109-485-E
Belt Damper
Repair 4B0-998-099-B
Kit
6N0-201-511-A

Service at 75,000
Tooth Belt
Roller 077-109-244-E
Lever 077-109-485-F
Roller 077-109-244-C

So there are some part differences.

I do no know what the Damper "Repair" and "Kit" part numbers are for.

Thanks,

Mike

PS, I assume the job requires removing the radiator as in your picture! A lot of work LOL..

Elevens
July 19th, 2010, 21:23
HI Every one:
I was just wondering how hard it is to do a Timing belt job. I did my A6 2.7T a while ago, and it wasn't to bad. Just took my time (a few evenings after work) and all went fine. How does a 4.2T timing belt job compare to a 2.7T job? If any one has done both, please let me know. I really don't think there is much of a difference, but I would like to hear from some body who has actually done both. Thanks................................

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 21:42
HI Every one:
I was just wondering how hard it is to do a Timing belt job. I did my A6 2.7T a while ago, and it wasn't to bad. Just took my time (a few evenings after work) and all went fine. How does a 4.2T timing belt job compare to a 2.7T job? If any one has done both, please let me know. I really don't think there is much of a difference, but I would like to hear from some body who has actually done both. Thanks................................
The only difference between the 4.2tt and the 2.7tt timing belt job is there is an addition roller on bank one that has to be replaced, and the fact that you cannot just hinge the lock support out of the way on both the A6 4.2 and the RS6. Instead, you can just disconnect the radiator hoses and a few other miscellaneous lines and lower the lock support down and out of the way to gain access to the timing components, without having to evacuate the AC system and trans lines. Other than that, the two jobs are identical, just a different set of timing tools. If you were comfortable doing the 2.7tt, I don't see any reason you couldn't tackle the RS6. Plus, you have us on retainer for advice.

Aronis
July 19th, 2010, 22:25
IF "I" were you..."I" would push the timing belt job up to and just past 40,000 miles from your last service. So look at your miles and count up 40k. I have seen cars go 45 and even 50k without any problems.

Now, here is the reason I say this. Think of it as a hedge. What are the chances of a thermostat or a waterpump going bad in the next 8 months? I say pretty good. esp if your waterpump has never been changed. IF one of those items goes bad....guess what? The labor is paid by your ext warranty to dig in there and change the component. Guess what? That is when you throw on a new timing belt and pay for the parts only because part of the job to change the thermostat or waterpump is taking off the timing belt.

bing, bang boom

I see your point!

I will soon have a 24 month 24,000 extension, which would cover those parts! I'd rather that does not happen LOL, but it is true the cost of the timing belt would be much less!

Thanks for the input.

I'm taking the car in this Monday for an oil change (I do that myself, but once in a while having the mechanic look things over could not be a bad idea) and have them check the DRC, I think it's going again. The DRC 12/12,000 is over in another 1000 miles! Good timing I guess.

Mike

Aronis
July 19th, 2010, 22:28
oh another thing. I was speaking to the service department asked about the access to the belt. They confirmed the radiator is tipped out of the way to access the front of the engine, but does it still require removing the front bumper?? and disconnecting the top hoses???

V8weight
July 19th, 2010, 23:09
oh another thing. I was speaking to the service department asked about the access to the belt. They confirmed the radiator is tipped out of the way to access the front of the engine, but does it still require removing the front bumper?? and disconnecting the top hoses???Yep, to put the car into service position, the front bumper assy. is removed (8 bolts) , then the upper and lower radiator hoses are removed (along with a couple other misc. hoses and lines), then the lock support can simply be tilted out of the way for access to the timing components.

Elevens
July 20th, 2010, 00:34
The only difference between the 4.2tt and the 2.7tt timing belt job is there is an addition roller on bank one that has to be replaced, and the fact that you cannot just hinge the lock support out of the way on both the A6 4.2 and the RS6. Instead, you can just disconnect the radiator hoses and a few other miscellaneous lines and lower the lock support down and out of the way to gain access to the timing components, without having to evacuate the AC system and trans lines. Other than that, the two jobs are identical, just a different set of timing tools. If you were comfortable doing the 2.7tt, I don't see any reason you couldn't tackle the RS6. Plus, you have us on retainer for advice.

Yea V8weight, its nice knowing there are people like you out there. I appreciate the comeback. I asked some of those boys at Audi and they said don't do it. But then again they just want the business anyway. I really didn't think there was much difference, but I wasn't certain. I just turned 60K and the car was meticulously maintained, so I am assuming the last timing belt change was done on time. Next should be done at 75K, but I am probably going to do it way before that just in case it was not done at the last service. Once again thanks for the info.......