PDA

View Full Version : Upper Control Arm Replacement Question

Gustaf
July 16th, 2010, 03:46
My beast needs a new set of control arms as 2 of them have torn rubber in the bushings. I have done the replacement of the control arms on my daughters Passat but the main difference there is that the Passat doesn't have DRC so I removed the entire upper suspension with the control arms, spring and shock.
My question is, can you replace the upper control arms without removing the spring and shock from where it is mounted? Any tips from those who have done this?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

hahnmgh63
July 16th, 2010, 04:59
I did mine with the shocks removed as I was replacing the DRC with KW V3's but I think it wouldn't be a problem. Just remove the wheel and you should have plenty of wheel in there to get at the nuts & bolts.

Audi-RS6
July 18th, 2010, 07:21
It is very easy indeed.
Jack up left and right side together. Unscrew 3 bolt under the hood that hold strut, shock will drop. No need for shock or spring removal. Your goal is to create space to remove bolts that hold the arms. You may also turn abit upper part.

Audi-RS6
July 21st, 2010, 07:03
DIY: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21251-DIY-Replace-Upper-Control-Arms-easy-way?p=193996&highlight=#post193996