PDA

View Full Version : Best All-season tires?

pierson
July 15th, 2010, 04:03
Rumor has it the Pzero Neros are no longer....

RS6Steve
July 15th, 2010, 10:46
Goodyear F1 Assy

pierson
July 17th, 2010, 23:22
arent those really loud? i need something quiet for clients

GEN XER
July 18th, 2010, 02:58
Hmmm a quiet performance tire in 18x8. Let me check into that.

GEN XER
July 18th, 2010, 03:20
The issue with the RS6 is it requires a XL load tire. You have Mich, Conti, Hankook, Bridgestone, Pirelli, General, Sumitomo, Goodyear, and Yokohama. That's about it.

Mich - Quite and Pricey
Conti - So So
Hankooks - Great for the money and you already know how they perform in 19"
Brigestones - No Experience
Pirelli - No Experience
General - This tire may surprise you.
Sumitomo - No
GY - Not Quite in my experience
Yokohama - No experience

DO NOT BUY A TIRE WITHOUT AN XL LOAD RATING

V8weight
July 18th, 2010, 03:24
Did the Sumitomo's not work out for you?

pierson
July 18th, 2010, 14:09
looking for all-season though.

RS6Steve
July 18th, 2010, 17:50
Even though I suggested the Goodyear, I use Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and I'm very happy with them the are however 255/35ZR19 96Y

Aronis
July 18th, 2010, 17:59
My snows are not XL...Winter M3's. I drive the car hard in the dry weather with them on and never had a problem. One my third set (lots of miles).

Mike

GEN XER
July 18th, 2010, 18:58
[QUOTE=pierson;193796]looking for all-season though.[/QUOTE

I have not found an all season with an XL load rating. You can buy an all season without the XL rating but...you get whatever you get. Their is a reason this car comes with XL tires. Its heavy (especially over the nose) and its a high performance car, and that has the potential to add up to some pretty dynamic forces and loads being placed in the tires. If you go with a non XL tire then I suggest you drive it less on the performance side.

GEN XER
July 18th, 2010, 19:01
Did the Sumitomo's not work out for you?

The Sumitomo's did not work for those I bought them for, No. They complained of noise, harshness, and premature wear. When I get complaints from customers I tend no to sell that tire to anyone else. I have not had complaints from folks who bought these discount Tire Brands.

Fusion's, General's, Falken's, Kuhmo's, Nitto's, Capitol's, Primewell's, Hankook's and Riken.

I have had complaints about these Major Brands.

Goodyear, Bridegstone's, Conti's, and Uniroyal's.

DonS
July 19th, 2010, 14:33
I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS after reading how the tire won various comparison tests and being highly rated on Consumer Reports (with an excellent for snow traction). Some sizes are XL rated! On my RS6, the tire handles and brakes well within my driving style (not 10/10ths) and is luxury car quiet. The car even traverses my long winding sloped driveway with a couple of inches of snow. I think the price was decent as well, but I was buying on overall performance - price was lower on the scale.

Here's a good comparison of high performance all-season tires on Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

Benman
July 19th, 2010, 18:42
This is what I currently have on mine:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All+Season&sidewall=&partnum=54YR8F1ASXL&tab=Specs

XL 99 rated... love em'.

jwestpro
August 23rd, 2010, 07:22
wow, none of you know about THE best all season out there? It is without a doubt the Nokian WRG2. Truly an "all" season and not just some silly "sort of ok in water if you slow down" tire. Sizes for 18 as well as those of you with 19" These things are simply amazing:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

Roger
August 23rd, 2010, 16:16
I have been using Pilot Sport A/S and I am very very happy with them. I used them on my S4 too, I have had several sets of them between the two cars. They are not cheap but give great all around performance. I will drive in almost any depth of snow with no problem. Dry handling and grip is good, better than the stock summer tires. When these tires first came out Car & Driver or maybe Motor trend did a piece on them and said they were better than many summer only tires. I highly recommend.

uncfrk
August 23rd, 2010, 23:16
I'm wondering why all season tires. For a few more dollars, have the best Summer tires in the Summer and another set for Winter instead of compromising all year round??????

Roger
August 24th, 2010, 00:27
My RS6 is my winter car, so need for summer tires. Also, with today's plowing in our area, snow is actually on the roads only a 5-10 days of the entire winter, so dedicated snow tires would be a compromise the other 100 or so "winter" days. I have never had any problem in any depth snow with the pilot sport A/S, and I've gone up hills past stuck SUV's. The only limitation is snow deeper than your clearance, and no snow tire will help that.