PDA

View Full Version : review of car after last drive

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 02:52
Well I must say I had a 8000 learning curve on this car.

First off the car is one solid machine. It glides down the road and gets the look of a general on the road.

I really enjoyed the balance the car offered.

After having a 911tt, 335i, legacy gt, and a V70R this car was the cleanest looking.

The performance and pickup of the car was average. My 335i was faster to 150, the 911 was a 911, and my legacy wagon with a tune and the up/down combo was faster then the RS6.

I was hoping for more power with the ratings and was let down with the overall performance.

I did take it to 165 today and it was 96 out and it was limp. Looking forward to drive the 335i again and have that rear wheel drive feel.

I still cannot believe how much these cars cost to work on. I should have done a tad more research and saved the 8k:doh:

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 03:00
Could it be that your car was not running at full potential? Did you ever vagcom the car?

A Legacy gt is not on the same planet as the RS6.

335i faster to 150? Again not on my planet.

Can the RS6 be expensive to work on? Sure if you pay a dealer. My 2 yr carry cost has been 1500 dollars. Includes a full 35k service and full brake job with rotors.

I will pay the 750/yr to drive my car any day of the week.

4everRS
July 13th, 2010, 03:24
What exactly was $8k? Your beast must be sick to get beat by a legacy. I have a buddy with a tuned 09 legacy gt and while it is fast, it doesn't hold a candle to my un-tuned rs6. Sometimes it "feels" faster due to the violent shifts, but it is not faster. I smoked an 09 wrx from 55 to 100 on the highway a liitle over a month ago. Sorry pellapat but I think we would need to see more evidence of some of the above claims, or I hope you get the car fixed, cause something has to be wrong.

p3u
July 13th, 2010, 04:55
Something must be going on with your car. Stock I would smoke vettes and new wrx sit's tuned no problem, and they are considerably faster then a 335.

hahnmgh63
July 13th, 2010, 05:05
I'll second that on the 335I, a friend at work's wife has one that he drives when it needs the service and he's run it against me twice. Once we started fairly equal and I blew him away and the second time I gave him the jump before I went for it and it took me unitl about 80mph to pass him but by then I left him behind fairly quickly. I think there must have been a boost issue (leaking intercoolers) or something with your car. Sorry to hear that you must have never really felt the normal acceleration your car was suppose to have. Just look at the 0 to 60 & 0 to 100 specs of the 335i and compare them to the RS6 specs from the magazines, your car has some issues, sorry.

V8weight
July 13th, 2010, 05:06
I believe Pat sold his car and is describing his last drive, so any problems that the car may have are irrelevant now. I love my car, and If I for some reason had to let it go, I know I would be trying to convince myself that I never needed/ wanted it in the first place as well. That being said, honestly, these things are big, heavy, fast pigs. Not necessarily quick, but fast none the less. I wouldn't trade it for the world, due to the versatility, and the overall package. And I think if Pat would have kept it around and done a few modifications, he would have seen that it's that much more enjoyable once you tie up some of the loose ends.

mmaturo
July 13th, 2010, 05:08
335i is no match for an RS6 any day period. I leave them standing still stock...run against several on rolling starts to 80 and from 65 up and i left them easily. No way in hell a legacy would ever stand a chance. Something just isn't/wasn't right with your car...very seriously you are/were missing something. Upper 80s here and my car is running pretty good...was cruising out to meeting in BFE and took out some huge redneck truck that wanted to race me...hehe... Ford 250 heavy duty with semi truck exhaust pipes and raised.

Elevens
July 13th, 2010, 05:57
Looking forward to drive the 335i again and have that rear wheel drive feel.

Amazing! one of the main things I love with this car is its stability and grip in wet weather conditions. And hear it is this guy can't wait to go back to rear wheel drive. Well to each his own I guess. And while I haven't really tested any one yet, when I slap this thing in "S" mode and step on it I doubt whether there are too many vehicles out there that can take me. This car is a shear beauty to drive . I feel like I am king of the road. It gets nothing but Respect where ever I go. I don't know if its the aggressive stance due to the wide tires and flares, but most people don't even want to challenge me. Right now all I have is the Stock SE Exhaust. Milltek Non Res is on its way(Tracked it last leaving the UK Yesterday). If people are afraid of me now, I can't imagine what it will be like with an even more aggressive Exhaust note. How can you not love these cars......

JSRS6
July 13th, 2010, 12:48
I agree wholeheartedly. If you've read any of my kills, you know where I stand :-)
Da da da da da, I'm lovin it ;-)

SteveKen
July 13th, 2010, 15:34
. . . I should have done a tad more research and saved the 8k:doh:

I'm a bit confused by this and maybe I'm missing something.

If you paid 8k for an RS6, you might want to check to see if someone just removed the A and added an RS to the rear deck lid?

I kid. If indeed, you did get it for a steal, there might be a reason that isn't readily apparent.

Nonetheless, be sure you've got the mechanical issues in proper order if you feel the car is lacking.

Otherwise, feel free to PM me if you want to sell the car and make a return on your investment. ;)

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 17:38
the 8 k was the cost of owning the car for 8 months after the purchase and selling price.

I figured this car would do 0-60 in 4.5 not 5.6

mmaturo
July 13th, 2010, 17:44

Exactly...mine does. Stock. Too bad yours never did for you...I know some cars are stronger than others but yours seems to be too close to just being an A6 4.2. Mine is slower than P3u's I certainly know but easily below 5. I take out fast cars all the time. Vettes (older Z06), mustangs, show me any damn Z car, M cars (0-60 not above that), older AMGs (or any of them with a wet road surface), any non AMG Mercedes, even had a Ford GT and Ferrari 430 not loose me.

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 18:11
I drove 6 RS6s before purchasing mine a couple years back.

My car has run like a bat out of hell since day 1.

Even faster with Aces. hehe

There were other RS6s that were pooches and had performance problems. Mostly boost related and it killed performance.

Should have fixed the problem and you may have kept the car.

There is nothing on the road that even comes close to the RS6. Even at 2x the cost.

the 8 k was the cost of owning the car for 8 months after the purchase and selling price.

MaxRS6
July 13th, 2010, 18:21
Mine does okay 0-60 in 4.0 to 4.1- I've been very happy with the performance of the heavy hog with the overall package it brings to the table.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20098-Update-0-60-in-4.0-and-4.1-Vag-Log-shown?highlight=60

SteveKen
July 13th, 2010, 19:07

What did you have done to the car? I'm guessing timing belt service plus . . .

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 19:09
Legacy gt and 335i need not apply.

The great Bush Hog rules.

Dont mess with the Boss Hog people.

Dont slam the RS6 on your way out either.

:-)

Mine does okay 0-60 in 4.0 to 4.1- I've been very happy with the performance of the heavy hog with the overall package it brings to the table.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20098-Update-0-60-in-4.0-and-4.1-Vag-Log-shown?highlight=60

JSRS6
July 13th, 2010, 19:31
Lol @ Dave. And agreement. You can't beat this car for anywhere near the money. If its running correctly....

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 19:39
not slamming just not impressed! Think I will go back to a 91tt though.

MaxRS6
July 13th, 2010, 19:49
Good luck with the next ride! The market provides a wide variety of machines for individual needs and wants as everyone is aware. The mix is great and I'm glad we haven't become a culture of Pelosi cube cars yet. I've certainly enjoyed ride alongs in Porsches at some track events and they are a lot of fun around the curves in the hands of a skilled driver.

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 20:44
I cant help your car was not in a proper state of tune. Nobody to blame on that one.

Enjoy your tt. I passed on the 911tt and purchased my RS6. Never looked back.

not slamming just not impressed! Think I will go back to a 91tt though.

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 21:28
I do miss her though. It was a very nice car. I guess if I would have tuned it and got the extra push it might have been worth keeping. I just sold my 911 tt and have been having daily fight inside about the decision.

I just found a nice one with a 3 year warranty for 46,000 with 38,000 on the clock. Just waiting for ppi and pen fed.

hahnmgh63
July 13th, 2010, 21:55
Yea, it really is too bad you didn't have it performing right, almost a second off on the 0 to 60 is a few seconds usually on 0 to 100mph. What year of 911tt did you sell and what year are you looking at? The 996tt are going for fairly cheap and really are a better car than the 993tt's although the 993 body style is better looking. The new 997tt V2's are really impressive with their launch control and sequential shift tranny's. Maybe I'll wait a couple of years and get a good used second gen 997tt.

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 23:00
I say your car was not performing up to standard tune.

You do not need to flash a RS6 to get the performance.

Your car was not operating at standard tune.

end

I do miss her though. It was a very nice car. I guess if I would have tuned it and got the extra push it might have been worth keeping. I just sold my 911 tt and have been having daily fight inside about the decision.

I just found a nice one with a 3 year warranty for 46,000 with 38,000 on the clock. Just waiting for ppi and pen fed.

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 23:06
had a 01 911tt and now have locked in on a 02 911tt. The one I want has a warranty for 35 months and 36,000 miles. I just got approved at a 3.99 pen fed loan with zero down. Waiting for ppi

pellapat
July 13th, 2010, 23:07
I think the performance dropped when the heat kicked in. During the winter the car was a beast. It still pulled nice just not 911 tt nice

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 23:40
Cars, what would we do without them.

Please post pics when you get the tt.

had a 01 911tt and now have locked in on a 02 911tt. The one I want has a warranty for 35 months and 36,000 miles. I just got approved at a 3.99 pen fed loan with zero down. Waiting for ppi

RS6Steve
July 14th, 2010, 18:45
Pat, something must be up with the motor, it's way quicker than a 335i and will give you 911tt a run for it money.. :-) with a kitchen sink in the trunk...

skribe
July 15th, 2010, 17:58
Chiming in late here, but CLEARLY your car was not running correctly. Pretty common for RS6's at this point to be sitting in limp mode... there are a slew of things that can trigger limp mode in turbo audis, but won't trigger a CEL...

Limp mode RS6 = 5 psi boost, 0-60 in high fives somewhere, sounds like your car. You could convince yourself that it's kind of fast, it still feels pretty torquey and stout... but it's NOTHING like it should be... Or you have a boost leak, did you have it smoke tested? Did you data log? Something was not right! You can't just let the dealership throw parts at it, that is what they do!

My MTM stage 1 RS6 absolutely embarrassed an EVO X last week. 335s are no challenge... the car has surprised me, hanging with cars it shouldn't be able to -- a Viper ACR for one, and a very well modified WRX (garrett BT, etc.) Not beating, but hanging right with them.

Legacy GT? :doh:

Benman
July 15th, 2010, 18:27
Something must be going on with your car. Stock I would smoke vettes and new wrx sit's tuned no problem, and they are considerably faster then a 335.

Ditto that... I would check into it. ;)

skribe
July 16th, 2010, 02:22
...was cruising out to meeting in BFE and took out some huge redneck truck that wanted to race me...hehe... Ford 250 heavy duty with semi truck exhaust pipes and raised.

Funny, Mark, I think I took that same truck on a couple weeks ago on 41 in Highland Park. Overboosted turbo diesel, belching black smoke and the turbo whistled Dixie off the line, pretty quick 0-30 or so. The guy probably has fun surprising sports cars with his monster torque and 4WD off the line... RS6 and I wrecked him. Farewell, goodnight, aufiderzein goodbye. He hopped off an exit quick when I slowed to let him catch up.

AudiRS4ever
July 16th, 2010, 16:50
I'm sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing as I've read this thread. A 335? Really? My wife has the most loaded 335Xi my BMW dealership has ever sold (at least, accoding to them) and I can tell you that it's an extremely nice car and extremely quick. But it's not even close to the same. And I love the thing. I think it can keep up with the RS6 to about 80 and then it starts to run out of steam. I will say the technology is better. And it should be. The chassis dates back to 2006. The RS6 dates back to 1997.
And while I do love Porsche, there is a reason why a 996 TT is worth half as much as a 993 TT. I think you're biggest problem is that you are into speed way more than anything else on the car. The RS6 definitely has speed, but it also has comfort and it has more room. It's meant to be storming down the autobahn, not drag racing from light to light. Same with the good old E39 M5 (another favorite). I used to get so sick of people asking me how fast my M5 was to 60 and in the quarter. It wasn't, and that was just fine with me.
Anyway, I hope you have good luck with your 996TT. It's a great car and I've always appreciated how good they are to drive. Hope this doesn't come across as me blasting you. Didn't mean to if it does.