PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads / tires replacement?

TaTaPiRaTa
September 16th, 2003, 20:03
Hi!

Have anybody replaced your brake pads because of wear?
What was the mileage? style of driving and so on?
I'm curious how frequently one needs to change brake pads & tires with this beast ( :addict: ), while I'm still waiting for mine.

thanks all!

jconley
September 17th, 2003, 01:44
I would expect at least 20K miles from the brake pads, even with VERY hard driving. I would expect 30-35 with normal driving.

I expect 8-10K miles from my tires- If I get more, i'm driving to conservatively.

:)

gjg
September 17th, 2003, 04:38
Marcin, where you live and with the cost of speeding tickets in area (I'm in Prague so first hand experience....) the life span on tires will be much shorter.

One not-to-be-named member of the list living in Germany experience was 5000 km out of first set of brakes on his RS6.

Nordschleife
September 17th, 2003, 13:56
If driving in Germany, then the stock brakes last about as long as four fuel stops! No joke!
My first rotors were finished afer less than 1000 not very fast kilometers (i think it was just 3 stops that did it).
You can destroy the standard pads in two quick stops.
These cars are big and heavy. Even with 380mm GT1 long distance racing rotors, you get 4000 km between having the rotors remachined and life expectancy is 8000km tops.
Given that very few RS6 drivers (outside of Germany) will be consistantly stopping from 300kph plus, the stock brakes will probably hold up for a month or two.

R+C

gjg
September 17th, 2003, 15:19
Robin, would the 380 front disc setup from MTM do for non-german conditions? Or Movit is the only way at the moment?

TheBrit
September 17th, 2003, 17:40
I managed to destroy my front pads and crack the discs after about 11000 to 12000 miles. I think one day playing on the back roads with an A8 4.2 in the blazing sun (25C+) finished them off...

Nordschleife
September 18th, 2003, 09:32
Originally posted by gjg
Robin, would the 380 front disc setup from MTM do for non-german conditions? Or Movit is the only way at the moment?

George
MTM's front rotors have an even shorter life expectancy than the GT1 rotors (from Mov'it). The problem is that the total rotor mass is insufficient to store the heat energy from stopping. If you think of a rotor as a 'doughnut', then the hole in the centre is too large.
However, I do happen to know that G and R (you know the two people I mean), are working together on some new rotors that G has designed which should stand up to the abuse dished out by the RS6, Bentley Continental GT, Cayenne Turbo etc.

Robin

Erik
September 18th, 2003, 09:43
It will be really interesting to see how the Bentley Continental GT brakes will survive, with all the claims they're the biggest and greatest in the world. My guess they're no better than the others, regardless of the Bentley logo on the calipers.

I've seen Cayenne brakes catch fire on TV. :bigeyes: