PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Vs PS3?

Hy Octane
July 9th, 2010, 18:50
Hi all.
New tire time coming up.. Have not found a better OEM replacement that the PS2, but I see the PS3 has recently been released.. It is advertised as a ultra-hi performance summer tire, but its tire wear number is 320 whereas the PS2 was 220.. Higher wear usually means less grip.. But this is Michelin.. Anyone tried them and can compare?

V8weight
July 9th, 2010, 19:56
Too expensive for my blood, and the higher wear rating scared me off as well. I just had a new set of PS2's mounted this morning. I haven't seen anything that looks like it would outperform the PS2, and it would appear that the PS3 is no exception.

hahnmgh63
July 9th, 2010, 20:29
I would try to hold off and keep your eye out for a tire test from one of the magazines or actually Tirerack is usually one of the first to test new tires on their track. Goodyear is also suppose to come out this summer with a F1 GSD3 replacement. I acutally like the Goodyear better than the PS2 but maybe it is more because I live in the Northwest and it's wet weather performance is great.

DHall1
July 9th, 2010, 21:49
Price!

Tirerack has the xl PS2 on sale for 287ea

No brainer

Too expensive for my blood, and the higher wear rating scared me off as well. I just had a new set of PS2's mounted this morning. I haven't seen anything that looks like it would outperform the PS2, and it would appear that the PS3 is no exception.

Spidercat
July 9th, 2010, 22:13
Goodyear is also suppose to come out this summer with a F1 GSD3 replacement. I acutally like the Goodyear better than the PS2 but maybe it is more because I live in the Northwest and it's wet weather performance is great.
You so just made my day!!! Just got new GS-D3s for both Audis last month since I heard that they are being discontinued. The Tirerack guy told me at the time that he knew of no proposed replacement by GY for the GS-D3. I asked him if he knew of any other brand that would be a good substitute for wet weather performance. He said not even close. It rains frequently here also, at least in my neck of the woods. I'm gonna try tracking this down. You happen to know the name?

hahnmgh63
July 9th, 2010, 23:53
Did a TireRack search and found out that the GSD3 replacement is out but only in a few sizes for now (not in our sizes) but more to come. They are OEM on the new 2011 ZR1 Corvette and the 2011 Shelby GT500. As for the PS3's, they are OEM on the new Audi S4 and the MB E63 AMG and they have gotten good reviews although TireRack sells both they haven't tested either one as of yet. I called TireRack and talk to a technician that said the PS3 would be in a comparison test either next month or the month after and the Goodyear probably wouldn't be in a test until this fall when more tire sizes are suppose to come out. The PS3 does come in an 18" & 19" 255 XL sizes for our car but you are looking at $50~$100 more per tire than the PS2 but the Technician said the feedback they've had on their 3 series BMW test car was that it is a better tire all around. I forgot to ask him why they had about 4 PS2's that were XL rated in our tire size at different prices?

s42ski
July 10th, 2010, 00:07
Looks like the PS3 are "green" and offer lower rolling resistance - I might not want to be the first one to "test" a new tire on our car. First reviews on Tire Rack are positive, but they usually are for a new tire just purchased.

Erik
July 10th, 2010, 00:09
Playstation 3 of course! :D

;)

V8weight
July 10th, 2010, 00:21
Playstation 3 of course! :D

;)
That PS2 and PS3 stuff is too modern for me, I still prefer to hack at Mario Brothers 3 on my original Nintendo NES. 8 bits! :)

ben916
July 10th, 2010, 00:22
That PS2 and PS3 stuff is too modern for me, I still prefer to hack at Mario Brothers 3 on my original Nintendo NES. :)

COMPLETELY off topic and jacked:
I have one of those and then the Nintendo 64 and then the Super Nintendo and then Game cube and the next one after that... :)

V8weight
July 10th, 2010, 00:36
COMPLETELY off topic and jacked:
I have one of those and then the Nintendo 64 and then the Super Nintendo and then Game cube and the next one after that... :)
LOL, my "gaming equipment" ranges from the NES to the 64, that's as far as I evolved. Hey, Erik left the door wide open for this TJ. :)

JRS-RS6
July 10th, 2010, 00:42
Pong dude!

johnnie27
July 10th, 2010, 01:30
Price!

Tirerack has the xl PS2 on sale for 287ea

No brainer

man you guys are so lucky ..tyres are so cheap there , that tyre here is over $600 USD a pop!! enjoy i say enjoy

Benman
July 10th, 2010, 04:05
man you guys are so lucky ..tyres are so cheap there , that tyre here is over $600 USD a pop!! enjoy i say enjoy Damn, really?!?

Octane, if the PS3s are "only" $50 or so more each, I'd swing it.

Ben :addict:

ben916
July 10th, 2010, 06:32
I'ma stay with the PS2's when the time is right...

Also, Octane... what about the ultra rare rain storm in So Cal that just coats enough of the road to make the oil/grease/etc a slippery sloppy mess?
I know that the PS2's are good in the rain as does MaxRS6 - he has video proof... :)

Erik
July 10th, 2010, 08:01
Sorry for ruining a perfectly fine topic.

Let's take the computer games somewhere else :)

Hy Octane
July 11th, 2010, 20:25
Ben.. Yeah.. If the tire wear is that much better the price difference will be more than made up.. Since the new DRC isnt as good as the original was, the car no longer needs a grippy tire since it cant corner as well anymore and anyway, I've given up driving her aggressively.., so as long as it performs the same or better i'll be happy.. Never seen a newer version of a tire have 100 points more on the wear guide yet not lose anything in handling.. Thanx for the input all. <S>

Benman
July 12th, 2010, 18:57
Ben.. Yeah.. If the tire wear is that much better the price difference will be more than made up.. Since the new DRC isnt as good as the original was, the car no longer needs a grippy tire since it cant corner as well anymore and anyway...

That was my thought Paul. And if the price point is a lot higher, than just stick with the PS2.

On the "grippy tire" note.... wait for the blasphemy... I'm running... ALL SEASONS!!! :bigeyes:

DHall1
July 12th, 2010, 20:02
My new DRC is every bit as good. I still run my car just as hard.

PS2 for me.

Ben.. Yeah.. If the tire wear is that much better the price difference will be more than made up.. Since the new DRC isnt as good as the original was, the car no longer needs a grippy tire since it cant corner as well anymore and anyway, I've given up driving her aggressively.., so as long as it performs the same or better i'll be happy.. Never seen a newer version of a tire have 100 points more on the wear guide yet not lose anything in handling.. Thanx for the input all. <S>

</S>

Hy Octane
July 12th, 2010, 20:50
Yeah. I was ready to go to your dealership to have mine redone until the manager there explained to me that every one of the cars they had done the recall on wound up with a softer ride than the original. Since I already have that, I decided to pass.. Mine was extremely stiff when new (read: zero rebound) and has never been close again since the first failure. I have given up and will just enjoy it as is. After 6 years of trying, I finally have everything else working properly on her...2 years of extended warranty left then we'll see..
Oh. And thanx for the tip I just ordered a gallon of ACESIV... <S>

hahnmgh63
July 12th, 2010, 20:52
Mine ended up being a bit stiffer than original but too high in the rear end.

Skaala
July 13th, 2010, 08:55
just got PS2's for the S8 and RS2.....the massive focus on economy (high wear ratio and little rolling resistance) in tire testing here lately has scared me off PS3's....They (PS3's) came out on top on economy....but not on grip....still they won by a mile. Istn't high wear ratio and little rolling resistance equal to little friction and little grip? Other very good sticky tires like the F1 GSD3's were 5th due to a lot of non-environmental friendly stuff in the rubber compound.

If I could get hold of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 here I would. Have had these before, and they work perfectlly in the dry, the wet and on the Nordschleife.

DHall1
July 13th, 2010, 15:13
Just glad to see you happy with your car. Give us a report on the Aces because your gas is just about as crappy as AZ.

Yeah. I was ready to go to your dealership to have mine redone until the manager there explained to me that every one of the cars they had done the recall on wound up with a softer ride than the original. Since I already have that, I decided to pass.. Mine was extremely stiff when new (read: zero rebound) and has never been close again since the first failure. I have given up and will just enjoy it as is. After 6 years of trying, I finally have everything else working properly on her...2 years of extended warranty left then we'll see..
Oh. And thanx for the tip I just ordered a gallon of ACESIV... <S>

</S>

skribe
August 17th, 2010, 20:22
DAMN this car eats tires. :lovl: Got only 8k out a set of Pole Positions... yeah yeah I should've known better than to buy bridgestones...

Just scored a set of the PS2s (255 35 19) @ $285 from tirerack. Thanks for the tip Dave, that is a smoking price.

skribe
August 17th, 2010, 20:38
ok what is the damn deal with all these posts being lined out???

ben916
August 17th, 2010, 20:42
---------------------------------------------

Looks ok to me, at the current time

FAIL! once saved to the server, fail...

JSRS6
August 17th, 2010, 20:53
same here skribe...i see it every once in awhile...

Benman
August 17th, 2010, 22:43
i see it every once in awhile... Me too...