PDA

View Full Version : Apikol RS6 rear diff mount & intake system

terrytcl
July 7th, 2010, 22:40
anyone using the diff mount yet?

also, $900 is a bit too much for an intake system. Any reason why putting together an intake system with 3" aluminum piping wouldn't work?

MrBucket
July 7th, 2010, 23:31
I know a lot of RS4 owners that have the Apikol differential mount and love it. They say it helps putting the power down on upshifts.

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 00:52
I run both on my car

If you have welding skills to fab up the pipes, and machine shop to make the cone rings for the filters to the stock inlets, than there is no hard part other than your time.

snoopra
July 8th, 2010, 04:26
TJ: :)
I'm getting the rear diff mount also.
With the intakes, can I just fab a single 4" pipe connected to both MAF's, or does it need to be separate intakes? I'm working on some ideas for intakes and a single pipe is one of the options.

ben916
July 8th, 2010, 07:36
anyone using the diff mount yet?

also, $900 is a bit too much for an intake system. Any reason why putting together an intake system with 3" aluminum piping wouldn't work?

I am seriously thinking about the diff mount...
Not sure/sold/convinced on the intake system.
Ya kinda have nothing to cover up the area that the filter assembly/carbon tray thing would be...

hahnmgh63
July 8th, 2010, 13:59
Is the rear mount necessary on our cars with an Automatic transmission? The manual cars (RS4) can get a very abrupt upshifts and driveline shock but our slushbox's, even with the MTM TCU chip don't shift like an old Turbo 350 or Turbo 400 tranny with a good shift kit. They still slip alot on upshift to make a smooth transfer from gear to gear.
As for the Apikol intake kit, it was covered here once before but it appears that at anything but higher speeds it would be sucking in a fair amount of hot engine compartment air which is definitely a killer.

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 18:44
I would disagree about the hot air.

The stock air plenum gets extremely hot being bolted to the manifold and heads. So the air inside that box are going to the same temp as air coming from inside the engine bay.

The point of the intake is not a "cold air" setup, its about letting the correct amount of flow into the engine, that the engine actually needs.

Apikol has the dyno charts from my car of with intake and stock. And it actually put down 6-10hp difference with the intake.

terrytcl
July 8th, 2010, 20:14
why would you need welding when there's no positive pressure through the intakes?

i've got a source for aluminum intake tubing and silicone couplers. so, with my chop saw, i can put together an intake kit with some brackets.

if anyone is getting the rear diff mount, please provide feedback as soon as you can. i'm curious as to what kind of difference it makes.

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 20:47
You sir are correct.

Go ahead and make that nice car look like a cheap pepboys built honda, fill that engine bay with silicone couplers for an intake system

V8weight
July 8th, 2010, 20:57
I too am leery of using too many couplers, that's why mine will be built using flexible dryer duct.

terrytcl
July 8th, 2010, 21:10
two couplers on each side? how is that too many?

if you'll lend me your tig welder, i'd be happy to make up a bunch of intake kits for half the price of apikol. i've done tig and mig welding for 5+ years and there's nothing on apikol's intake system that justifies that price. even the machining for the oem intake ducts are less than $100 to outsource.

if 2 couplers make my rs6 into a "cheap pepboys built honda"... i'll still have a sh*t eating grin on my face from not spending $900 on an intake system that isn't even polished or powdercoated. it'll still go nicely with my wagner ics.

V8weight
July 8th, 2010, 21:15
two couplers on each side? how is that too many?

if you'll lend me your tig welder, i'd be happy to make up a bunch of intake kits for half the price of apikol. i've done tig and mig welding for 5+ years and there's nothing on apikol's intake system that justifies that price. even the machining for the oem intake ducts are less than $100 to outsource.

if 2 couplers make my rs6 into a "cheap pepboys built honda"... i'll still have a sh*t eating grin on my face from not spending $900 on an intake system that isn't even polished or powdercoated.
I have a tig welder, as well as access to a full machine shop. Bring your tubing over for a weekend, I'll supply the beer and we could whip out a dozen of these things. :)

terrytcl
July 8th, 2010, 21:18
by the way, i guess i'm not like you (yokust)... i don't drive around and open my hood to show off the stock engine. if the intake works, it works.

terrytcl
July 8th, 2010, 21:18
I have a tig welder, as well as access to a full machine shop. Bring your tubing over for a weekend, I'll supply the beer and we could whip out a dozen of these things. :)

if there's enough interest, i'd be willing. i'd also been thinking about putting together a jig for an exhaust system. nothing special about the rs6 system. just need interest

JSRS6
July 8th, 2010, 22:44
Bump!
Interest here...

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 23:05

Than why are you not whipping these bad boys out?

And head on over to Denver my TIG is fired up and waiting for you

I look forward to seeing your results