PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever have a coil pack slowly go bad? i think it just happened to me

p3u
July 7th, 2010, 18:36
car for the last week has been very rough on warm up, and driving it feels like it is almost misfiring. comes and goes as it pleases, seems electrical. sound same to anyone?

time to operate :)

anyone have the coil pack pn?

thanks

ttboost
July 7th, 2010, 18:39
Typical electronic part...intermittant problem. Didn't Audi have a recall on coil packs? Not sure what years or cars?

p3u
July 7th, 2010, 18:51
they did, and ours didnt make the cut.

ttboost
July 7th, 2010, 19:35
Nice...Well they are fairly cheap anyway and easy to do. When mine go bad on the 996, I just do them all, as it is MUCH harder to do.

snoopra
July 7th, 2010, 20:29
06B905115E - best price @ genuinevwaudiparts.com

ttboost
July 7th, 2010, 21:12
Yup. $250 is cheap insurance for a couple years or so...

hahnmgh63
July 7th, 2010, 21:13
I had two that were intermittent. Cylinders 6 & 8 had an intermittent misfire. They would only seem to miss under higher boost conditions. Funny thing was is that I had a coilpack (#2) on my tt (225bhp) completely fail about the same time. Both cars take the same part # so I went ahead and ordered 12 of them as I had a new set of plugs for both cars already. I have also heard that running too high of a plug gap puts a strain on the coil packs so check the plug gaps, whether new or old. I was running Denso Iridiums in the tt and noticed the gap was wide on all of them, I may not have checked them on the original install. I swapped back to OEM NGK's on both cars. I did a post a few weeks back about this exact issue. Most tt guys think the Hitachi coil packs are better than the BERU's. Audi sells both in OEM boxes. I got mine (Hitachi) from www.audipartssuperstore.com (http://www.audipartssuperstore.com) for $25.54 each. If Genuinevwparts.com has the Hitachi's I'd go with them as they are $2 a pack cheaper but on their website they don't list the manufacturer.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214407

http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=215236

terrytcl
July 7th, 2010, 21:51
i ordered coilpacks from genuineaudiparts.com and they were hitachis. this was a year and half ago though.

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 00:55
All vw/audi coils are pos's

I run the new 1.8t push down coils(strongest spark coils) and the ecs hold down brackets on mine.

Car idles smoother, and pulls smoother thru the rpm band

snoopra
July 8th, 2010, 05:10
All vw/audi coils are pos's

I run the new 1.8t push down coils(strongest spark coils) and the ecs hold down brackets on mine.

Car idles smoother, and pulls smoother thru the rpm band
What's the part # and how did you come about the info for using this coil pack?

hahnmgh63
July 8th, 2010, 05:50
The Revision 'R' coil packs as well as the older revision 'D' are the same part #, just the different suffix. You can do a lot of searching for info on all the coilpacks and the different manufacturers on Audizine, Audiworld, Quattroworld, and vwvortex forums and you will get a lot of info. Much from trial and error, some from mechanics, some from electronics guru's who've taken them apart, and yes, some from nuts. I think the concensus you will find is that the Hitachi manufacturer 'E' type of the best. My RS6 came with the Hitachi's so maybe all RS6's did. The 'E' type manufactured by Hitachi & BERU & Bremi can be found in a OEM Audi box so it may depend on who Audi is sourceing at the time. STI & Karlyn are two other non OEM 'E' coilpack manufacturers. Here is just one link to a discussion on coilpacks. Do a search, there are many to read and since I just purchased 12 for the two cars I spent a bit of time reading through many of the forums.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4880145-Coil-Pack-differences/page2&p=65816188

yokust
July 8th, 2010, 18:50
The '06B905115 R' coils for the 1.8t are all ready outdated and have been replaced with '06A905115 D' and have a shinny top compared to older dull looks. And its the '06A' and "06B' that changed on the new coils, not the suffix.

The bolt down Hitachi coils are known for less failures, but also a weaker spark. Also the bolt down coils are also known for dying slowly and cuting spark under load.

I have alot of times at work when we are slow to play around with coils from the parts department to check how strong a coil spark is thru a gap tester.