PDA

View Full Version : Ride Height

CornersWell
July 3rd, 2010, 17:06
Ok, guys, I just got the RS6 back from having a dead alternator replaced. While the car was in, the dealer indicated that the suspension bushings were in need of repair, and the control arms were replaced on all 4 corners. I've had the DRC replacement work done. My question relates to the current ride height. I've read here that I should be measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the lip of the fender, and they should be 14.5" (rear) and 14 1/8" (front). The car was looking a little tail high, so I measured. 14.5" at the rear. Dead on. Front was 13.5". Thoughts?

I'll be calling the dealer on Tuesday to start sorting things out, but I should probably just bring it back to them.

CW

ben916
July 3rd, 2010, 18:58
sounds like the front is low as threads have indicated, as with some tech docs, that the front should be 14" ± .25 and rear should be 14.5" ± .25
unless you are ok with it?

DHall1
July 3rd, 2010, 20:21
CW

How does it drive? Not really normal to have 13.5 on the fronts.

Mine has been perfect from day1. 14 1/4 on the front and 14 1/2 on the rear.

Ok, guys, I just got the RS6 back from having a dead alternator replaced. While the car was in, the dealer indicated that the suspension bushings were in need of repair, and the control arms were replaced on all 4 corners. I've had the DRC replacement work done. My question relates to the current ride height. I've read here that I should be measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the lip of the fender, and they should be 14.5" (rear) and 14 1/8" (front). The car was looking a little tail high, so I measured. 14.5" at the rear. Dead on. Front was 13.5". Thoughts?

I'll be calling the dealer on Tuesday to start sorting things out, but I should probably just bring it back to them.

CW

CornersWell
July 3rd, 2010, 21:48
It rides fine, generally, but it does scrape on the front when I go over dips and bumps. And, on occasion, the tire will rub a little against the inner wheel well liner. More importantly, if it's out of spec, why is it out of spec? And, I'd prefer to have it in spec. Maybe that accounts for the accelerated wear on the suspension bushings? I did not instruct anyone to change it from spec, and it just came back from the dealer after changing out the control arms, so I assume the tech did the work properly.

CW

V8weight
July 4th, 2010, 00:07
Cornerswell, stupid question, was the car parked on a completely level surface when you took your measurements? I would assume so, so I think we can rule that out. Also, did the car seem to sit fine after the drc recall, but was off after the control arm replacement? If so, i'm wondering if the tech loaded the suspension too low while tightening the control arm bolts. I'm not sure that would provide enough counter force to counteract 16 bars of downward suspension pressure, but its something to look into. I don't have access to my drc repair procedure right now, but I'm starting to wonder if they are just re-pressurizing the system from the rear shocks, maybe the central valves are being damaged, or don't allow adequate pressure to be transferred forward to the front shocks.

CornersWell
July 4th, 2010, 01:01
V8,

Car was measured in my garage. While it does have a slight grade for water drainage, for all intents and purposes, it's close enough to level for an accurate measurement.

Anything's possible. I didn't measure it after the DRC replacement. So, it's possible this is a problem that has existed for some time. It just looked like there was an awfully large gap from the rear tires to the wheel well lip when I looked at it today.

CW