PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness

MaxRS6
July 1st, 2010, 22:21
Tech has motor back in after an engine pull, and started it up. Upon start up- car is lighting up CEL with

16535 O2 Sensor Circ., Bank2- Sensor1 Low Voltage Static

Primary O2's were replaced while motor was out. They obviously want to hope that one of the new O2 sensors they just put in is not bad. Tech is theorizing the CEL is due to a faulty wiring harness and says the shielding is very brittle- and he thinks some of the wires may be broken. They want $1,800 for the wiring harness and several hours to install. Anyone else have to do this yet?

LIRS6
July 1st, 2010, 22:55
Back a-ways (2005) I was having starting issues .. was deemed to be the wiring harness, which was replaced under warranty. No further issues.

V8weight
July 1st, 2010, 23:00
They want to replace the entire engine harness?

MaxRS6
July 1st, 2010, 23:04
They want to replace the entire engine harness?

Yep- They said

It told me we have a couple things we could do.

1) Run 4 new wires or one for each 02 sensor or
2) put a new engine wiring harness in the vehicle. Tech seems to think with the age of the wires and the condition they are in he thinks you would be better off to put a new harness in the car so that later down the road if we did fix the 02 sensors with four new wires you wouldn’t have another problem coming from a bad harness elsewhere.

V8weight
July 1st, 2010, 23:10
I sincerely hope that they've tested their theory by checking for continuity between the bank 2 primary o2 connector to the pins at the ecu. Otherwise it's nothing but an $1800 guess. They should even go one step further and do a temporary overlay from the ecu to the 02 harness connector before squeezing any money out of you. This seems fishy. I know mistakes happen, so I'm not trying to accuse the tech of any wrong doing, but damnit, they better be darn sure there isn't a pinched wire or a disconnected ground wire at the fire wall.

MaxRS6
July 1st, 2010, 23:20
Thank you Pat for the comments. I have a meeting setup for tomorrow morning- and will insist they do the above and provide better evidence of the root cause. I appreciate your input.

I'm just glad I'm sitting with 2 new O2 primary sensors as I insisted they replaced them both while the motor was out.

DHall1
July 1st, 2010, 23:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAe23GrHzSU
fishy, fishy, fishy...

Exactly what Pat said. It takes 1hr to run a test wire set from the O2 plug to the ECU. If the main harness is bad then this will make the code go away. If the O2 or the stub harness is bad this will not make the problem go away and the O2 or pinched wire is the fault.

Bing, bang, boom. 110 and I was at the golf course today. Crazy

MaxRS6
July 2nd, 2010, 01:10
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/doqTSev-_lQ&hl=en_US&fs=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED> (file://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/doqTSev-_lQ&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/doqTSev-_lQ&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>)

Thanks Dave.

I was chasing the ball around today also at the Little Rock AFB golf course- It was a nice 90 low humidity and a great golf day...Woo Hoo the driver and putter were on fire and won some $$$...Might be enough for a cup of coffee at the dealership tomorrow...;)

DHall1
July 2nd, 2010, 02:53
Ok, so you have the plan of attack at the dealer. Talk to the tech and verify he determined the wiring is at fault after the O2 sensor connector and before the ECU. The only way to do that is run that jumper wire as Pat talked about.

Hmmm...driver and putter. Not bad. I have been working on 150 to the pin down to 80 to the pin on approach shots. 80-110 out I am almost dead money every time. We have to go out at 6:45am to get any relief from the heat. damn

Thanks Dave.

I was chasing the ball around today also at the Little Rock AFB golf course- It was a nice 90 low humidity and a great golf day...Woo Hoo the driver and putter were on fire and won some $$$...Might be enough for a cup of coffee at the dealership tomorrow...;)

MaxRS6
July 2nd, 2010, 03:17
Valuable info guys and the brain trust is what rocks about this place...

Thanks again

V8weight
July 2nd, 2010, 03:23
Where did you dig up the Louden Wainwright clip. His son Rufus is very talented as well, but so flamboyant I've never made it through 30 seconds of any of his interviews.

MaxRS6
July 2nd, 2010, 03:27
Where did you dig up the Louden Wainwright clip. His son Rufus is very talented as well, but so flamboyant I've never made it through 30 seconds of any of his interviews.

Good to see you appreciate quality tunes...I don't know why but sometimes I just have a need to bust out a- "Dead Skunk in the middle of the road.." Sometimes slips out to a challenger on the links when a shot goes errant- or just to embarass the daughter in front of her friends as all good dads do don't they?

V8weight
July 2nd, 2010, 03:52
Haha, you've got nothing on my dad, he used to whip out the Marty Robbins cassette's when we were in the car. Now that was embarrassing.

ben916
July 2nd, 2010, 17:20
I'd challenge that with some Bob Segar - Against the Wind

MaxRS6
July 2nd, 2010, 18:28
I'd challenge that with some Bob Segar - Against the Wind

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/peeing-wind-decal-sticker-calco.jpg
Same holds for skunk spray

MaxRS6
July 6th, 2010, 23:56
Update- Tech reports the wire overlay has resolved the O2 issue. An intake seal is to arrive tomorrow, and with some good Karma I'll have it back on the road again.

I may still order the complete harness to help prevent future issues as they are saying a lot of the wiring appears brittle . However; they state a harness is not currently in the U.S. and would have to come over the pond. At least I can have the car back while I make the call- and for the delivery time. They state that is a pretty good price they are offering (I don't have the part number to check yet) and are discounting the hours. Might be worth the preventative maintenance.

V8weight
July 7th, 2010, 00:00
Congrats Randy! Fingers crossed for you. How long has your car been down for? It seems like it's been a few weeks.

MaxRS6
July 7th, 2010, 00:04
Congrats Randy! Fingers crossed for you. How long has your car been down for? It seems like it's been a few weeks.

6 weeks tomorrow- Had some delays in parts and one thing kind of led to another while it was out..lol

DHall1
July 7th, 2010, 02:15
Good news.

Run the car with the overlay for now. Order the harness and have it ready the next time the car goes in for repairs in that area.

Just an idea.

Update- Tech reports the wire overlay has resolved the O2 issue. An intake seal is to arrive tomorrow, and with some good Karma I'll have it back on the road again.

I may still order the complete harness to help prevent future issues as they are saying a lot of the wiring appears brittle . However; they state a harness is not currently in the U.S. and would have to come over the pond. At least I can have the car back while I make the call- and for the delivery time. They state that is a pretty good price they are offering (I don't have the part number to check yet) and are discounting the hours. Might be worth the preventative maintenance.

MaxRS6
July 11th, 2010, 23:42
It is home and terrorizing the streets...;0

Wiring harness is ordered. New front bumper ordered (thank you U-haul)- will get a fresh spray and add the 3m clear bra. I have about a jibbiliion rock chips and welcome the face lift.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/2010%20Coolant%20Repair/RS620100710.jpg

DHall1
July 11th, 2010, 23:49
There is only one Mad Max.

Mad Max lives to fight another day. Look out idjuits

MaxRS6
July 11th, 2010, 23:55
After driving an Impala and an A4 S line for 6 weeks- all I can say is

It's good to be in the passing lane again...

DHall1
July 12th, 2010, 00:03
Impala?

Oh my

V8weight
July 12th, 2010, 03:53
Congrats Randy! Glad to see the beast back from vacation.