PDA

View Full Version : Resonators

JSRS6
July 1st, 2010, 17:24
Toying with the idea of deleting the resonators and replacing with straight pieces of pipe with those flanges welded on that APR uses. Any thoughts, experiences, etc.?

V8weight
July 1st, 2010, 18:08
DON'T remove the resonators, the car will "drone" like mad at cruising speeds. They don't impede on performance in any way. If anything, leave the resonators and delete the mufflers themselves. JRS-RS6 has the sound enhanced exhaust, but the mufflers have been removed and the resonators are still intact. It sounds nice in my opinion. My Eisenmann exhaust still retains the stock resonators and has quite a roar as well.

JSRS6
July 1st, 2010, 18:11
Jrs-rs6, do you have any good vids of this?

RS6Steve
July 1st, 2010, 19:30
The Cornish moocher only has his back boxes :-) Sounds awesome, I have just remove my centred resonator at it is a bit boomy, but you know I'm on the way !!!! With them all (and by all I mean Cats) removed except the rear it sound pretty good and less boomy :-)

snoopra
July 1st, 2010, 20:24
No cats, no res, no prob here:) Sounds incredible!

JSRS6
July 1st, 2010, 20:46
Hmmm, mixed reviews....

Fonzie Audi
July 1st, 2010, 21:02
On my RS6 i removed my pre-cats, secondary cats, resonators and replaced it all with larger diameter pipes.. then replaced my SE mufflers with AWE mufflers.

Depending on how loud you want your car.. it may or may not be the right system for you.

JSRS6
July 1st, 2010, 21:06
Thanks everyone for the input. Gonna put it on the back burner for now, gotta install the 9500ci, and do the front rotors and pads.

johnnie27
July 2nd, 2010, 02:14
Hmmm, mixed reviews....

i have factory cats still in place but full res delete, just 2 Remus mufflers at the arse...no drone at all..we can only cruze here legally at 60mph...but the faster i go the quieter she gets...turbo cars in generally aint very loud..i had res delete and Remus mufflers on a 4.6is X5 ..boy that made a noise..was kinda droney around town 1-3,000rpms (i think remus may tune the mufflers to make big sound a low rpm's so people look at you??) , but once your at contstant trottle quitened down, buy easily 50% louder than the RS (no headaches in the AUDI) also EVO ^6 lancer with 400+BHP no cats, no res, one straight thru muffler...sounds like a banshee at 6500 rpm , but at constant throttle reasonably quiet...do it i say... do it!!

JRS-RS6
July 2nd, 2010, 04:37
Jrs-rs6, do you have any good vids of this?

Sorry no vids. Heck my car is covered in the garage just waiting to go over 40K miles and I am back on the road. Going home for the weekend and don't even plan to drive it. Got to pick up a friends dogs to sit for so they will ride in the Passat and than back to Colorado for two weeks. Maybe someday but not soon from the looks of things for now. I will keep it in mind. Thanks for the compliment Pat I think the note is fine but my wife always thinks I am gunning it out of the driveway and down the street when I barely get up to 20 mph -- it is loud on the low end for sure.

JSRS6
July 2nd, 2010, 16:15
Ill just keep it the way it is for now...

johnnie27
July 2nd, 2010, 22:50
maybe the dudes that are experiencing droning, are not running a crossover or x-pipe?? just a thought.. i am looking to add high flow gut cats etc?? something to them anyhow..i'll let you know if that wakes it up at the engine more (note that is)