PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil change, only 6.5 litres?

skyegtb
June 30th, 2010, 22:29
Serviced my car over the past couple of days and did a gearbox oil change as per the instructions in the ZF manual and on audipages etc. When I drained the fluid I collected it all in a bucket and to my surprise it was just over 6 litres drained in total (this was over a 48hr period). I refilled the gearbox today with fresh fluid and it took the exact same amount as I had drained. I used VAGCOM to monitor the fluid temp up to 35C and followed the ZF refilling instructions to the letter. Those who have done this will know it is a difficult job, especially doing it single handed, but I am pretty confident that it will take no more than 6.5 litres. I had initially assumed that my oil level was low due to draining only 6 litres - I think I was expecting closer to 8. Can anyone tell me if this appears to be normal?

V8weight
June 30th, 2010, 23:02
Nothing to worry about there. That's actually more than I usually get out of mine. I usually get about 6 quarts out of mine (5.7 liters). I always drain and fill mine twice so as to get as much fluid out of the converter as possible, and I can do the whole job with 3 gallons of fluid (11.35 liters). Messy job isn't it? Nothing like having expensive trans fluid running down your arms and all over the floor.

skyegtb
July 1st, 2010, 00:19
Thanks Pat, appreciated! I feel a lot happier now. Your idea of the extra flushing is very good - I noticed that my overflow of new filled oil was darkened with the fluid remaining in the converter. I think I will drain and refill tomorrow like you suggested. Cheers, Angus

ben916
July 1st, 2010, 00:54
I just had the flush/filter performed last week at my local indy shop and was happy with the shifting afterwards. Not so happy about the $444 missing from my pocketbook... I don't really have a place to do the maintenance, otherwise I would have tackled it...

DHall1
July 1st, 2010, 02:05
How did they flush the system? What process did they use? fluid?

I just had the flush/filter performed last week at my local indy shop and was happy with the shifting afterwards. Not so happy about the $444 missing from my pocketbook... I don't really have a place to do the maintenance, otherwise I would have tackled it...

ben916
July 1st, 2010, 03:43
I only saw the re-fill and it was OEM fluid. I wanted to get some BND but timing was an issue...