PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Rear Window Problem

justinrlee
June 30th, 2010, 15:06
Hi,

Kinda new guy here (mostly lurk). I've had a 04 Canadian spec RS6 for about 5 months. About a month ago, I started having problems raising the driver side rear window - if I press the button, it'll go up a couple inches and then bounce back down, as if it's detecting resistance in the path. Seems like a safety feature (finger detection bounceback) gone wrong.

If I kind of stick something in the track right ahead of the window, I can sort of guide it halfway up or so.

I was able to pull the window up while pressing the button, and have been afraid to touch it since (window lock on). Was in the middle of a cross country move so I haven't done anything with it. Any ideas what this might be, and how much it'll cost to fix myself/ get fixed?

Things I'm thinking:
Window regulator?
Pinch protection?
Resistance in the track?

Thanks!
Justin

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 15:28
Unlock your windows and listen to what the passenger rear sounds like going up. Then try the other side (weather permitting, of course!)
Does it sound strained before it gets to that point? Or does it get there normal before going back down? You say it was during a cc trip, did you "keep it clean" lol. If not, its entirely possible that the guide is just dirty. Granted, really dirty...
If this is not the case, I'm sure someone (Dave....Pat...Ben...) can get the resistance values for the regulator under load, and pinch overload resistance.

V8weight
June 30th, 2010, 15:44
No resistance values necessary. His regulator has shit the bed. It's expensive, but really easy to replace if you're handy.

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 15:47
Ding! "That was easy."
Anybody with ETKA Access for a PN and price?

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 15:51
Nevermind...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220619667844&viewitem=

V8weight
June 30th, 2010, 15:52
Sorry, no etka on the blackberry, but I'll look it up when I get home if no one has chimed in by then.

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 15:53
Also autozone has it for 103, gotta order ahead of time though...

justinrlee
June 30th, 2010, 18:26
So if I pick up one of these:

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Audi/RS6/OES_Genuine/Window_Regulator/2004/Base/8_Cyl_4-dot-2L/W0133-1604846.html?location=Rear-comma-_Driver_Side

I should be good to go? Do I also need to order guide clips?

I'll probably try to install it myself. Thanks for all the help!
Justin

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 20:51
I don't know if you read the eBay listing, but it has a three year warranty...

justinrlee
June 30th, 2010, 21:35
I don't know if you read the eBay listing, but it has a three year warranty...

If it's the same part, is there some benefit to purchasing it used over new? Especially since they're essentially the same price (+/- 10 bucks)

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 21:40
the price you are looking at is for the regulator w/o the motor. with the motor on partstrain, its 342. The ebay item is that price WITH the motor. The partstrain warranty is also 12 months vs. the used warranty of 36 months.

justinrlee
June 30th, 2010, 22:05
the price you are looking at is for the regulator w/o the motor. with the motor on partstrain, its 342. The ebay item is that price WITH the motor. The partstrain warranty is also 12 months vs. the used warranty of 36 months.

Oh. Did not notice that... was just looking at the description. Will get the ebay item, thanks!

V8weight
June 30th, 2010, 22:08
I'd maybe pull the door panel off and have a look before ordering anything. The motor will probably be fine, it's the regulator itself that goes bad. It starts to eat it's own cable, causing resistance, which is why the safety mechanism sends the window back down.

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 22:10
No problem Justin. Good luck with the R/R.

JSRS6
June 30th, 2010, 22:27
For the price of just the regulator on parts train, he can get the regulator and the motor with a better warranty...

Rhino315
July 1st, 2010, 05:05
I had kind of the same problem one day. I had a stuff animal in the window and put window down, got stuck and window started doing what you are experiencing. I started pulling the window up with my hand and at the same time pulling the window button up. Eventually I turn on and off the car several times and somehow the computer that control the windows up and down reset and started working normal again. Just be patient with it. Keep trying until it reset again the window operation. Good Luck, Carlos.