PDA

View Full Version : question about tranny and how it shifts

stuntstud2
June 29th, 2010, 10:32
When you have the car in manual mode does it still automatically downshift and upshift. Or will it hold in the gear you want it in making it more of a "clutchless" manual? I hope this makes sense.

snoopra
June 29th, 2010, 12:55
Mine still downshifts when I come to a complete stop, but can't remember anything past that. When I first tried manual shifting (LONG time ago) I went up in RPM's ready to shift from 2nd to 3rd (5K), accidentally downshifted:doh:, RPM's came down(3K) and automatically shifted to 3rd.

Hy Octane
June 29th, 2010, 16:59
The car will downshift when slowing down in manual shift mode, but will not upshift until it hits redline in each gear.

snoopra
June 29th, 2010, 17:20
Great info:thumb:

Bigglezworth
June 29th, 2010, 17:39
This is covered in your owners manual if I'm not mistaken.

stuntstud2
June 29th, 2010, 19:42
This is covered in your owners manual if I'm not mistaken.

Seeing as I do not have one but am interested in getting one and currently doing research on the car (hence the starting the post) could you actually be helpful and let me know exactly how manual mode works?

ben916
June 29th, 2010, 20:11
Drive is.... well... drive but you can use the paddles to up/down shift at certain rpm (Owner's manual casually suggests to be green and shift at 1500 rpm - HA!) Transmission does it's thing.

Sport is where the rpm is held up longer in the power band for more aggressive driving - paddles can be used for up/down - I don't remember if you are WOT, if the trans will shift for you, but I think it does.

Manual is the use of the paddles or the ± indicators (forward/back) on the shifter. It will downshift for you when coming to a stop. I will not upshift for you as you have indicated YOU would like to take that duty.

O/T - Owners manuals are available on Ebay but be prepared to spend a bit...

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 20:14
Drive is.... well... drive but you can use the paddles to up/down shift at certain rpm (Owner's manual casually suggests to be green and shift at 1500 rpm - HA!) Transmission does it's thing.

Sport is where the rpm is held up longer in the power band for more aggressive driving - paddles can be used for up/down - I don't remember if you are WOT, if the trans will shift for you, but I think it does.

Manual is the use of the paddles or the ± indicators (forward/back) on the shifter. It will downshift for you when coming to a stop. I will not upshift for you as you have indicated YOU would like to take that duty.

O/T - Owners manuals are available on Ebay but be prepared to spend a bit...

ALSO, I believe if you are in "Auto" you can hit the paddles at any time and go into a "timed override" (10seconds?) to shift aggressively manually, no?

ben916
June 29th, 2010, 20:17
ALSO, I believe if you are in "Auto" you can hit the paddles at any time and go into a "timed override" (10seconds?) to shift aggressively manually, no?

Do you mean that if you d.s./u.s., that the trans "thinks" that you want to drive aggressively for a bit?
I think you might be right on that as I will d.s. to a light and then take off and the trans will hold the gear until I u.s. and I am in Drive not Sport or Manual... (shhhh, don't tell anyone on am constantly looking at the mpg thingy...)

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 20:22
Do you mean that if you d.s./u.s., that the trans "thinks" that you want to drive aggressively for a bit?
I think you might be right on that as I will d.s. to a light and then take off and the trans will hold the gear until I u.s. and I am in Drive not Sport or Manual... (shhhh, don't tell anyone on am constantly looking at the mpg thingy...)

OK, lets say you are cruising on the hwy at.. ummm... yeah... 65mph...in "auto mode" I believe if you just smack the downshift paddle twice, it will downshift to third and stay in manual mode for like 10 seconds and then go back to auto mode. I am always watching the MPG thingy in my Turbo too. best I have ever gotten is 29, but usually I get around 23-24.

4everRS
June 29th, 2010, 20:42
Right. You can upshift or downshift using the paddles when in DRIVE or SPORT mode.

Also, the car WILL upshift for you if you forget to while in tippy-flappy mode. (learned that one by accident)
OK, lets say you are cruising on the hwy at.. ummm... yeah... 65mph...in "auto mode" I believe if you just smack the downshift paddle twice, it will downshift to third and stay in manual mode for like 10 seconds and then go back to auto mode. I am always watching the MPG thingy in my Turbo too. best I have ever gotten is 29, but usually I get around 23-24.

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 21:43
Exactly as I understood it. Thanks.

V8weight
June 29th, 2010, 22:45
Right. You can upshift or downshift using the paddles when in DRIVE or SPORT mode.

Also, the car WILL upshift for you if you forget to while in tippy-flappy mode. (learned that one by accident)
Yep, the car will shift by default if you fail to do so in tip mode, BUT it shifts at a lower rpm than it would normally in sport mode. I don't understand why this is, but this is why I don't bother using the paddles. The normal shift points in sport mode are around 6640 rpm, but if you were to put it in tip and hold it to the boards, it will shift automatically around 6400 rpm, at least with the stock tcu. I haven't tried this with the MTM chip yet. Honestly, the shifts are so subdued in tip, it's really not worth using.

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 22:54
Yep, the car will shift by default if you fail to do so in tip mode, BUT it shifts at a lower rpm than it would normally in sport mode. I don't understand why this is, but this is why I don't bother using the paddles. The normal shift points in sport mode are around 6640 rpm, but if you were to put it in tip and hold it to the boards, it will shift automatically around 6400 rpm, at least with the stock tcu. I haven't tried this with the MTM chip yet. Honestly, the shifts are so subdued in tip, it's really not worth using.

OK. I was just wondering if it would shift faster if you wacked the paddle or just stomped on it, assuming you were in Auto. And does a flash address any of this?

V8weight
June 29th, 2010, 22:59
OK. I was just wondering if it would shift faster if you wacked the paddle or just stomped on it, assuming you were in Auto. And does a flash address any of this?
Not really. You end up with a much faster car, with the same slush box. :)

ben916
June 29th, 2010, 23:00
Not really. You end up with a much faster car, with the same slush box. :)

Hmmm... could someone be contemplating a 6sp manual conversion?????

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 23:04
Kinda figured that, but it had to be asked...

mmaturo
June 29th, 2010, 23:13

The car/tranny does 'learn' pay attention to what you are doing...if i am driving aggressively in auto mode it will start to react as if it were in sport mode and hold a gear longer in higher rpms ready to stomp. Once I start driving calm for a bit it goes back to normal. I only find i need to drop it in sport mode if i suddenly decide to jump off at a light rather than it being a pattern. I have never found a need for the paddles as the car reacts to how i am driving anyway and does mostly what i want regardless of the mode it is in.

V8weight
June 29th, 2010, 23:14
Hmmm... could someone be contemplating a 6sp manual conversion?????
Ha, as much as I'd love to actually do the work and conquer the conversion itself, I have a junk left knee and wouldn't be able to drive it.

ttboost
June 29th, 2010, 23:16
The car/tranny does 'learn' pay attention to what you are doing...if i am driving aggressively in auto mode it will start to react as if it were in sport mode and hold a gear longer in higher rpms ready to stomp. Once I start driving calm for a bit it goes back to normal. I only find i need to drop it in sport mode if i suddenly decide to jump off at a light rather than it being a pattern. I have never found a need for the paddles as the car reacts to how i am driving anyway and does mostly what i want regardless of the mode it is in.

Stock? Flashed? If so, what flash?

mmaturo
June 29th, 2010, 23:23
Bone stock...i've blown too many of these up to flash anything.

dreadlocks
June 30th, 2010, 00:35
Ive only found the tip selector to be useful when descending mountains.. when I crest over a pass I'll knock the shifter over and use the paddles find the gear I want to be in. Then I can cruise down the mountain using engine compression to control my speed, Otherwise the TCU is up-shifting and I am braking too frequently... once I get to the bottom, I knock it back to drive.

Other than that I am either in Drive or Sport and only use the temporary over ride to drop a gear and pass someone.. I then manually put it back in high gear as it Ive found it can get kinda stupid when it tries to resume automatic shifting.

This is my first automatic transmission, not fond of it honestly.. I think a 6MT swap might be a path I am willing to travel down... in the future.

johnnie27
June 30th, 2010, 01:07

yes that is correct sir

Rupert
June 30th, 2010, 22:43

The tranny is described as "5-speed Tiptronic with dynamic shift program DSP"

"5-speed HP-24 automatic transmission with Tiptronic® (steering wheel control) and DSP (selects from over 200 shift programs to match driver needs), hill detection capability and new "Sport-mode" setting."

So yes, it does appear to learn by selecting a program which suits your driving style.

ttboost
June 30th, 2010, 22:55
I wonder if it has a$$hole driver mode?

V8weight
June 30th, 2010, 23:05
I wonder if it has a$$hole driver mode?
I wish....