PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight pulley kits

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 02:46
HI Ladies and Gents and others

i am not far from doing my aux pulley belts and tensioners (mech will do as i am numb) so i excuse my lack of correct words...i have seen that ECS tunning has some light weigh pulley's crank and p/steer

has anyone gone down this route and is it worth while to the audi motor?

many thanks

:revs:

V8weight
June 22nd, 2010, 02:55
HI Ladies and Gents and others

i am not far from doing my aux pulley belts and tensioners (mech will do as i am numb) so i excuse my lack of correct words...i have seen that ECS tunning has some light weigh pulley's crank and p/steer

has anyone gone down this route and is it worth while to the audi motor?

many thanks

:revs:
Don't do it. A. I've held the power steering pulley in my hand, its very thin stamped aluminum and cannot get any lighter. B. While naturally aspirated motors benifit from a reduction in rotational mass, a forced induction car actually uses the heavier pulleys to its advantage.

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 02:57
Don't do it. A. I've held the power steering pulley in my hand, its very thin stamped aluminum and cannot get any lighter. B. While naturally aspirated motors benifit from a reduction in rotational mass, a forced induction car actually uses the heavier pulleys to its advantage.

great thanks for the feedback, and wisdom js

yokust
June 22nd, 2010, 03:17
V8weight is right, but there is another huge factor here.

The crank pulley is also a vibration/harmonic damper for the crankshaft. Take away its ability to soak up vibrations and you put extra stress on bearings/rods/bolts/etc

There used to be a video of a 1.8t crank on a balancer awhile back floating around. They spun it up to 6500rpm with a stock pulley and a lightweight underdrive pully. On the stock pulley crank spun relitively smooth, BUT witht he light weight pulley you could watch the #4 rod area being flexed side to side under the strobe light, because that is where the crank was "dampening" its vibrations

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 03:22
V8weight is right, but there is another huge factor here.

The crank pulley is also a vibration/harmonic damper for the crankshaft. Take away its ability to soak up vibrations and you put extra stress on bearings/rods/bolts/etc

There used to be a video of a 1.8t crank on a balancer awhile back floating around. They spun it up to 6500rpm with a stock pulley and a lightweight underdrive pully. On the stock pulley crank spun relitively smooth, BUT witht he light weight pulley you could watch the #4 rod area being flexed side to side under the strobe light, because that is where the crank was "dampening" its vibrations

i have heard of the balancer thing before , thanks for the explanation i shall steer clear and use the factory kit for it, slightly off topic the kit in the uSA sells for less than 1/2 the price it is here, it would be exactly the same i assume, would i be correct in saying so>??

hahnmgh63
June 22nd, 2010, 05:34
Johnnie27 save your money. Just like V8weight said, I got suckered by ECS and purchased the power steering pulley and was shocked when I pulled off the stock pulley and realized it was already a lightweight aluminum one. The harmonic balancer thing is a fact also, keep it. Here is a great link from Dinan Engineering
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technial-info/the-dangers-of-power-pulleys-and-understanding-the-harmonic-damper

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 06:16
Johnnie27 save your money. Just like V8weight said, I got suckered by ECS and purchased the power steering pulley and was shocked when I pulled off the stock pulley and realized it was already a lightweight aluminum one. The harmonic balancer thing is a fact also, keep it. Here is a great link from Dinan Engineering
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technial-info/the-dangers-of-power-pulleys-and-understanding-the-harmonic-damper

Thanks for that Roy, it is a shame isn't it, considering there is not really much stuff out there to tinker with, and some of the things that are actually can hurt the car.you'd think major tuning places would only sell quality gear that is beneficial, even if they were just more aesthetically pleasing and not hurting the car, you know for folks that like eye candy...i have an EVO 6 lancer which is still somewhat specialized (low volume) but boy oh boy the stuff you can get for those to make them sing is simply awesome.....are there any tricks or other simple components that help this car do what it does better (i love the ARP tune) the Remus exhaust note..down pipes look damn hard to fiddle with , so many sensors pre cat after cat etc...diverter valves , are they actually better, i use a factory evo 8 mR valve on my EVO 6 (works great) anyone changed the valves on the Audi and actually noticed any difference?? are the factory cats good, i mean she has 331Kw std so i figured they must flow pretty good from the factory or are there aftermarket cats that will help with HP? sorry to digress again, but i'd like to maximise that basic set up i have, if anyone knows or has done these mods please chime in..i'd love the feedabck and Dhall if you read this you will be appalled at my sentence structure! sorry mate..much more of a talker than typer that is the truth!

johnnie

V8weight
June 22nd, 2010, 06:33
Your best bang for the buck is a set of Forge 007 diverter valves, for reliability's sake, and punching the pre-cats out of your stock downpipes. You'll have to relocate your secondary O2 sensors behind the main catalysts, but it should make a discernible difference in spool up time and a nice increase in torque. Actually, if you have the APR tune, you won't have to relocate the O2's, as it's already programmed to ignore catalyst efficiency codes.

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 06:39
Your best bang for the buck is a set of Forge 007 diverter valves, for reliability's sake, and punching the pre-cats out of your stock downpipes. You'll have to relocate your secondary O2 sensors behind the main catalysts, but it should make a discernible difference in spool up time and a nice increase in torque. Actually, if you have the APR tune, you won't have to relocate the O2's, as it's already programmed to ignore catalyst efficiency codes.

great i'll have a look on the net in the uSA for the valves, thanks for the info on the cats too. i really appreciate it js

V8weight
June 22nd, 2010, 06:40
Dhall if you read this you will be appalled at my sentence structure! sorry mate..much more of a talker than typer that is the truth!

johnnie
Oh, and I think you and Dave have gotten off on the wrong foot. Believe me, you need him on your side in the event that sometime in the future you have a problem that befuddles even the sharpest of minds. I've met him in person, and believe me, his knowledge of forced induction and tuning is beneficial to anyone trying to upgrade, maintain, or drive one of these beasts.

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 07:20
Oh, and I think you and Dave have gotten off on the wrong foot. Believe me, you need him on your side in the event that sometime in the future you have a problem that befuddles even the sharpest of minds. I've met him in person, and believe me, his knowledge of forced induction and tuning is beneficial to anyone trying to upgrade, maintain, or drive one of these beasts.

agree, i just took the piss on his statement that shipping to Aust is a pain in the arse, when i waited 9 months to hear back about some wheels (then they were re-advertised after the seller pm'd me asking if i was still interested) ( so i called and emailed 4 days in a row with no response) (i think that is a bit shit..thats all) ...ideally it isn't (you the seller puts it in a box) and i the buyer does the rest (door to door), quite simple in this day and age, i am sure he is a great bloke. and hope i didn't push to hard...sometimes my girlfriend tells me so...Bahhhhhhh