PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 of the Black Optics

JSRS6
June 21st, 2010, 14:59
Finally finished all i could over the last few days. I did the following:
Front upper and lower grille surrounds, front rings, side morror housings, rear rings, trunk beltline trim, RS 6 symbol pieces, and MTM badge from Hoppen for the TCU. In the next few weeks i will do the trim surrounding the windows. I did the passenger side piece that goes under the headlight, but havent received the other one from the dealer. Those will be put on when they fix my passenger airbag sensor and align the passenger headlight. All that will be left then is the rims.

SteveKen
June 21st, 2010, 15:43
Looks good. Did you do them without removing them from the car?

I don't know if I missed a previous post or not, but what was your technique?

JSRS6
June 21st, 2010, 16:02
Thanks ken, and no. Every single piece was removed and sanded, prepped, three coats of high temp satin black krylon spray can. Used a handle attachment for better results. Then i sat/hung each piece out to cure in the sun.

Beastly
June 21st, 2010, 20:27
JSRS6, this is looking good. Are you planning to do the side window trims the same way? I would like to do mine but still considering the technique (paralysis by analysis)...

Casey
June 21st, 2010, 21:58
I like it. Looks good. I am about to start the same project on my Daytona Gray, but I am going to leave the rings and mirrors, to give it some contrast.

V8weight
June 21st, 2010, 23:27
Looks like it turned out nice. I would have left the chrome rings, but that's just my personal opinion.

JSRS6
June 21st, 2010, 23:46
Thanks guys. I appreciate ALL of your opinions. Yes, i am going to do the window trim soon.

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 01:24
Thanks guys. I appreciate ALL of your opinions. Yes, i am going to do the window trim soon.

ppppffffffhhhhwaarrrrr !! looks tough!! i am Australian, its winter and cold, so maybe this is a numb question, but i would like to do my Rear like yours 9no pun intended) how do you pint the RS6 badge black w/out farking up all the red part??

many thanks johnnie

JSRS6
June 22nd, 2010, 01:36
The window trim wont be easy. Those tabs are a HUGE PITA. But hey, when you got the bug, you got the bug. As for your question Johnnie, I used blue painters tape, and carefully covered the big part of the red sticker. Once the paint was fully dried, i carefully removed said tape. Voila. And for the little red sticker, i just removed the sticker, then reapplied. Still had plenty of sticky stuff. If you go to a local hardware store, you should be able to find Goo-Gone sticker remover. It comes with a little spatula looking thing, and it gets under the pieces very well. I suspect that a bondo spatula would do the trick as well. For reapplying, you need to either find 1mm thick trim adhesive tape, or the route i went was all weather RTV carefully applied to the backs and set back in place. If you use the average 3M tape, which is 1.9mm thick, it looks ridiculous. And the 1.5mm trim adhesive i found was also too thick. Any other numb questions? Lol

johnnie27
June 22nd, 2010, 01:47
The window trim wont be easy. Those tabs are a HUGE PITA. But hey, when you got the bug, you got the bug. As for your question Johnnie, I used blue painters tape, and carefully covered the big part of the red sticker. Once the paint was fully dried, i carefully removed said tape. Voila. And for the little red sticker, i just removed the sticker, then reapplied. Still had plenty of sticky stuff. If you go to a local hardware store, you should be able to find Goo-Gone sticker remover. It comes with a little spatula looking thing, and it gets under the pieces very well. I suspect that a bondo spatula would do the trick as well. For reapplying, you need to either find 1mm thick trim adhesive tape, or the route i went was all weather RTV carefully applied to the backs and set back in place. If you use the average 3M tape, which is 1.9mm thick, it looks ridiculous. And the 1.5mm trim adhesive i found was also too thick. Any other numb questions? Lol

super reply thanks man, obviously i will try this on a warm day, when my hands are not numb! bahhh

my initials are JS btw...lol

johnnie

JSRS6
June 22nd, 2010, 15:10
Lol, my initials are actually jsr. So jsr and rs 6 combined. Good luck with your project. And don't forget to wear a mask. :-)

Aronis
June 22nd, 2010, 16:31
Sorry,

Flame Suit On.

I don't like it!

You did a great job, and achieved your goal (number badges look good black on silver) but the rest I don't care for.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Don't hate me!

Benman
June 22nd, 2010, 17:21
JSRS6, what did you use for a chip resistant coating? Krylon spray can does not hold up well against rock chips so I am curious as to what you applied.

Ben :addict:

JSRS6
June 22nd, 2010, 17:26
Mike,
Dont worry about it. Its your opinion. Thats why i did it to my car, not yours, lol.
Ben,
Still working on that one. I was thinking maybe some of that clear matte 3m ppf. Unless you can think of a different solution for the grille pieces, rings and side mirror covers. I can always take them back off and do more...

Benman
June 22nd, 2010, 17:49
Matt clear will help a little, but a better solution may be the 3M Clear Bra. Will take a lot of patience to cut and install but once done, it is done.

JSRS6
June 22nd, 2010, 21:23
Thats what im talking about, but i had seen online a new 3m clear film that makes anything under it look matte.

Benman
June 22nd, 2010, 21:23
Yep, perfect. ;)