PDA

View Full Version : Considering painting hood and bumper grills, any suggestions?

snoopra
June 19th, 2010, 17:57
I'm considering painting the hood grill and lower grill a flat black or low gloss black, also the black housing for the side mirrors. I'm tired of the armorall streaks and cleaning the little nooks and crans in the grills. Has anyone tried this? Just the grill, not the aluminum surround:)

Holiday
June 19th, 2010, 18:51
I don't know if painting would cure the issue of "cleaning nooks and crans". Unfortunately, that grill will ALWAYS be detail intensive when it comes to wash jobs! I just washed mine yesterday and spent a fair amount of time detailing the front and rear fascias...
I think having the "right tools" might be just the fix. Have you considered using a rubber/plastic protectant like Einszsett? (http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zeinszett-vinyl-rubbercareprotectant.aspx). Great stuff, lasts several weeks, and very easy to apply in the grill area with a detailing tool. If tough bug stains are an issue, I first use 3M General Adhesive Cleaner (http://www.detailersdomain.com/3m-general-adhesivecleaner-08987.aspx).

RS6_Dave
June 19th, 2010, 20:12

I had mine sprayed ebony body colour incl. the fog surround, looks great and is much easier to keep looking clean. I had the silver bits done too at the same time all round.

snoopra
June 19th, 2010, 20:46
I also want an even finish and can't get that with spray-on protectant. Some areas on the grill are more faded than others, still show "through" after detailing.

snoopra
June 19th, 2010, 20:51
I had mine sprayed ebony body colour incl. the fog surround, looks great and is much easier to keep looking clean. I had the silver bits done too at the same time all round.
That's what I'm looking for(with out painting the surround). Thanks for the pics.

V8weight
June 19th, 2010, 21:32
The grilles are made of pps plastic, and no matter what protectant or polish you use it will just soak in. I would opt for satin black as it will be easier to clean than flat. Are you planning on using an aerosol product, or catalyzed paint shot from a spray gun? Either way as horrible as it sounds, for proper adhesion your going to have to lightly scuff the entire surface, either with a purple 3m scotch brite pad, or a super fine foam sanding pad. I would then recommend a pps/ppo adhesion promoter, which can be bought in an aerosol can. All that's needed is a light coat. As for the mirror bases, I use the Acrylic Werks polich, and it restored my mirror bases, and all of the other black trim on my car for that matter (except the grills) to better than new condition. And it lasted too, no soaking in after a period of time. My black trim was bad too, as my car spent it's life in Scottsdale, AZ prior to my purchase.

Holiday
June 20th, 2010, 01:18
I also want an even finish and can't get that with spray-on protectant. Some areas on the grill are more faded than others, still show "through" after detailing.

You CAN get an even finish, but it's all about the application. A "spray-on" job would look spotty, but applying the protectant via a microfiber applicator makes it look terrific. Might take some pictures of mine to give you an example. Anyways, if you're dead set on painting it, my vote goes towards a satin black finish with a very, very mild shine.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.

snoopra
June 21st, 2010, 02:24
.............. my vote goes towards a satin black finish with a very, very mild shine.

Good luck and post pics when you're done.
That's the look I'm shooting for and pics WILL be posted. Thanks