PDA

View Full Version : help with common problems and things to look out for?

stuntstud2
June 17th, 2010, 15:11
I have been a member here for awhile. Back when I first registered I was getting ready to buy a RS6, but then other things came up. Well I am back in the game! I have a couple questions and will start new threads for them as I think they will be beneficial to others in the same position as I am. I am sure there are plenty of new people who come on here and ask the same questions I have. Maybe this could be made a sticky if it became informitive enough? I figured there would have been a sticky for new buyers....

Please don't beat me up to much! I tried searching first but coudn't seem to come up with any results....I mean literally every time I did a search it came back with zero results. I am thinking I am an idiot and am messing something up so if someone can give me some pointers on how to use the search function efficiently I would appreciate it!

First off what are some common problems with these cars?

I have seen a lot of mentions of the DRC suspension going bad. In a nutshell what happens, how can you fix it, if you can't fix it how much does it cost, how can you spot a car that has the problem, how often does it go bad or once you fix it you are you good to go?

How long is the turbo life? How well built are the trannies? Any things to look for in the engine or something that has been a problem or goes out frequently? How about brakes? Is the steering ever a problem or the AWD?How about the interior...such things as climate control breaking, seated heats not working, etc?

Is rust a problem, if so where are the key places to look?

Basically tell me everyting I need to know about this car! JK....kind of.

Thanks for any help I get! I am really looking forward to picking up one of these things!

LIRS6
June 17th, 2010, 15:52
- DRC - Audi picking up the tab for full replacement until Aug of this year. If you are in the hunt, ask the owner if the work has been done. If not, and it needs it, you have limited time.
- Turbos - not typically a problem area for these cars.
- Tranny - This is the Achilles Heel of the RS6 - TC's have been going at about 45-50k.
- Brakes - figure on changing front rotors every 25k ... not cheap ($600 pr or more)
- Interior - not aware of any issues

Just my few thoughts

good luck

skribe
June 17th, 2010, 17:00
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz73/droogie5/whatev/smokemonkey.jpg

SMOKE MONKEY COMIN FOR YOU!

Seriously, vB's search tools do suck, but it's all over the forum. Try again.

ben916
June 17th, 2010, 18:24
First off what are some common problems with these cars?

I have seen a lot of mentions of the DRC suspension going bad. In a nutshell what happens, how can you fix it, if you can't fix it how much does it cost, how can you spot a car that has the problem, how often does it go bad or once you fix it you are you good to go?

How long is the turbo life? How well built are the trannies? Any things to look for in the engine or something that has been a problem or goes out frequently? How about brakes? Is the steering ever a problem or the AWD?How about the interior...such things as climate control breaking, seated heats not working, etc?

Is rust a problem, if so where are the key places to look?

First off, don't do anything without an aftermarket warranty AFTER the PPI is completed!!!
Second, drive the freaking car before buying it! OK, that might be a given, but if you have lurked on here long enough, you will see threads of owners that purchased sight unseen and get home and some $hit is broken or the CEL light is lit after 2-5 days.

DRC is one of two items on this car that are the Achilles heal.
The Trans/TQ is the other.

Timing Belt service - make sure it was completed at 35k/75k - this is a deal breaker in so many ways.
DRC - make sure you have the recalled version or scrap it and go KW V3/PSS9 ($3k min) A recalled DRC version of RS6 might sit high in the rear (+1") hence see my photos...the suspension should be rather stiff. Clunk in the trunk.
Trans - well you are gonna have to search on this one - two words (aftermarket warranty) or Tozo89 can rebuild or go 6M.
Intercooler - look inside the two inlets on the inboard side of the fog lights and if you see dark oil on either, the intercoolers is/are more than likely leaking a bit. (common)
Interior - the weird rubberized texture on most, if not all, wearing surfaces is easily scratched/removed/gummed up with your fingernail/ring/watch/etc - not a damn thing you can do about it.
Rim - curb rash - whatcha gonna do?
Tires - check for inboard wear - search for Duckwingduck - tire failure due to failed DRC, allegedly.
Brakes - they squeak and like LIRS6 wrote - get EBC REDS for less dust
TURBO? I think I have heard of only one failing, warranty covered it and BOTH had to be replaced, kinda like replacing BOTH front rotors.
Rust? - maybe on the rotors but that is it. You should be mindful of where the RS6 has lived it's life with salt/rocks/sand/etc.
Mileage - get the lowest you can, but this also has been shown with a recent 2nd owner purchase that $hit can still happen with 13k on the clock.

First Audi? dive in deep and don't look back...the grin on your face will not let you...no comment on the pocketbook.

<waiting for="" maxrs6="" to="" post="" ozzy="" soon=""></waiting>

skribe
June 17th, 2010, 18:45
Ok, never been covered on here before that I've seen, but these cars, late-model audis as a rule, actually, just don't seem to rust. I've seen plenty of mercedes and bmw's that rusted up from inside the steel... my M3 had friggin rust bubbles in the door jams four years from new.

But rust isn't on the list of concerns, afaik.

4everRS
June 17th, 2010, 20:24
Audi has a corrosion warranty. I think it is either 8 or 12 years - can't remember. The sheet metal on all their cars is galvanized. They do a good job with the factory paint as well.
Ok, never been covered on here before that I've seen, but these cars, late-model audis as a rule, actually, just don't seem to rust. I've seen plenty of mercedes and bmw's that rusted up from inside the steel... my M3 had friggin rust bubbles in the door jams four years from new.

But rust isn't on the list of concerns, afaik.

V8weight
June 17th, 2010, 20:51
Audi has a corrosion warranty. I think it is either 8 or 12 years - can't remember. The sheet metal on all their cars is galvanized. They do a good job with the factory paint as well.
Yep, the entire construction is galvanized, and every interior nook and crevace is coated with Cosmoline. The rust warranty is 12 years, but only covers perforation.

stuntstud2
June 17th, 2010, 21:39
Ben...Thanks for the great reply! I currently own a stage 2 '01 2.7T 6 speed Allroad. If the Avant made it to the states it would be in my garage. Just as I thought I was/am an idiot...I figured out how to use the search function!

How much does a good warranty cost? How long do brakes usually last(pads and rotors)?

ben916
June 18th, 2010, 02:36
Ben...Thanks for the great reply! I currently own a stage 2 '01 2.7T 6 speed Allroad. If the Avant made it to the states it would be in my garage. Just as I thought I was/am an idiot...I figured out how to use the search function!

How much does a good warranty cost? How long do brakes usually last(pads and rotors)?

Warranty depends on 2 things:
1. Current mileage of vehicle at time of sale of warranty.
2. Warranty provider - Fidelity currently is the most expensive.